S-Tronic Gearbox Oil Change

toastyhamster

Reaction score
Booked in for a service on monday, highly regarded independant rings me today "your gearbox oil change, my mechanic says there are three lots of oil to change, which ones do you want doing?" Also said the oil alone was half again what Audi charged me for the last gearbox oil change. So did some research:

http://multitronic-box.com/our-services/s-tronic-gearbox-repair

Says two filters and two sets of oil - doesn't say if the oil in the mechanical part of the gearbox should be changed? Should it or is it shared with the engine? So, happy to pay for the ATF to be changed (although Audi sent me a text to say it was due it's actually for a few months/few thousand miles).

Nottingham Audi only charged me £140 including labour for the last ATF (presumably!) change in June 2014.

Main dealer also includes software updates in the cost, does your independent perform this?

I'm 22k miles in from new and my box had an oil change, filter change and a software update during the first large service. Front differential was also included in this timing, don't forget this, keeps differential scrub down to a a minimum and looks after those front tyres at low speeds.

Good question, not sure Audi allow the update info outside of their own control. Audi didn't do the filter last time, or software update, I'd be surprised if there were new updates for my 2010 since 2014 when Audi last had it.. Have postponed the gearbox work until it's actually due (around 6k), last had it done at 38k, I actually asked for it as I didn't know when the interval was - the box was getting a little clunky and the new oil sorted it - has held up a lot better this time (72k currently). The independent did ask if Audi did it last time as apparently there's a special procedure to follow and if it's not Audi or Audi trained mechanic they can pretty easily kill the box. Unless Audi quote something stupid they can do it, just not letting them rob me for another service.

There's another thread on this issue somewhere. IIRC Audi changed the design sometime between 2011 and 2012 so that a different filter was used. The old filter was supposedly a no-change item and the new filter was a replaceable type. Whichever one you have it might be a good idea to pay the extra to have the filter changed: The gearbox is complex and expensive to repair/replace so changing the oil but not the filter is introducing an element of risk.

I collected my car Feb 2015 and there has been 2 software updates since then so I'd say there was quite a few between 2010 and 2014, mine was updated at its first large service.

Filter should be changed at every oil change just like an engine (design change of filter as above), the filter obviously catches(filters) foreign bodies in the oil. The fact that the gearbox has a filter suggests its need which is no surprise considering the high spec design of the box.

I'd check its been swapped out for the serviceable item as a starting point, next time the oil is changed then a new filter should be fitted too.

Main dealer also includes software updates in the cost, does your independent perform this?

Mine had four Audi stamps (three different dealers). Since buying my out of warranty car, I have had it in for an stronic oil change, a few months later had a gearbox ECU repair (with readapting to my gearbox) and again fresh fluid. Never was the software updated until yesterday when I paid £110 for the pleasure of upgrading my 2009 software.

It is dealership & in warranty dependant probably, but you must have a nice dealer.

Audi instruct all their dealerships to check for out of date software at service times, this includes gearbox, MMI, comfort units etc. All should be checked and updated if required and included in the cost of the service. The only update that customers should pay for is Maps.

My dealer updates the software if it requires it at every visit at no extra cost. I have ex-collegues at Audi in Germany and this is how I found this out, my dealer has also confirmed this, and yes, my dealer is very good.

The new A3, A4 and Q7 MMI can be updated by the owner now via download through myaudi.com, more models to follow.

My RS4 is 12 mths opld and its had at least 1 MMI update and 2 gearbox software updates and they all where list as £0.00 on the receipts.

My car is under warranty with Audi for 2 years, is it worth getting the DSG oil changed early?
Its currently just under 30k, so I've got 8k to go, plus I'm not sure I should worry overtly about it due to being under warranty and within time frame.
Geoff - Pretty sure you used to have ve an S4? In which case you're in Norfolk. Do you use Audi Norwich?

Hi had an S4 before my current RS4 @MattS5 and no, I refuse to use Norwich Audi they are really really poor for customer service (read my review). I use Bury St. Edmunds Audi (Marriot Motor Group) and they are stunning, they've really looked after me.

I am back there tomorrow to test drive a new Q7 and SQ5 for my wife, finger crossed she can make a decision.

My car is under warranty with Audi for 2 years, is it worth getting the DSG oil changed early?
Yes. Why? Just read the many threads about s-tronic gearbox issues.

But if it's got 2 years of warranty and I'll extend it after that too with Audi.
I think I've actually answered my own question.

If I was out of warranty I'd get it done early, but as I'll have warranty for as long as I own it, I'll get it changed as per schedule.