S-tronic in the snow

Woody86

Reaction score
I know we don't have much snow but when we do everything grinds to a halt. I'm just wondering what the s-tronic Quattro system is like as I can't remember seeing a snow button or anything when I went on a test drive

I doubt Audi are awesome enough to invent a button specifically designed to make it snow....

:D

Reactions: Blu-iTT, illingworth22, h5djr and 2 others
No snow button. Am curious myself as my last cars were manuals, but there are lots of cars with full auto on the roads that seem to manage.

Until someone confirms best approach, my instinct is to use efficiency mode (less responsive accelerator and gears change up early) and the flappy paddles.

John.

Reactions: h5djr
A far as I know, the 7-speed DSG/S tronics cannot start in second gear. This is a disadvantage in snow, although the box is usually quick to change up from 1st.

previous 3 Audis have been s-tronic and had no problems in the snow.

No snow button. Am curious myself as my last cars were manuals, but there are lots of cars with full auto on the roads that seem to manage.

Until someone confirms best approach, my instinct is to use efficiency mode (less responsive accelerator and gears change up early) and the flappy paddles.

John.

I wouldn't use efficiency as it goes into coast mode with the gearbox engaged and thus without engine breaking. I'd suggest comfort mode for the same reason you suggest plus using manual whenever you need to use the gears to help slow you or want to hold a high gear. Of course Quattro always helps ;)

A far as I know, the 7-speed DSG/S tronics cannot start in second gear. This is a disadvantage in snow, although the box is usually quick to change up from 1st.

Just pull the right paddle up as soon as you move forward...

Get a bus and avoid smashing up your pride and joy!

Reactions: Woody86 and StefRobinson
I feel totally cheated that we didn't see a single snowflake this winter. I had my new Quattro and new winter tyres ready and waiting but no chance to have some fun. But I can confirm that my Golf with the same gearbox was fine in snow with the occasional manual override, though again always with winter tyres.

I've been driving Haldex cars for about 8 years now and never had problems with snow, just use D and the car will sort it out. I did invest in winter tyres when we had three bad years on the trot, but even without them I've never had a car immobilised by snow.

Reactions: felsby
I feel totally cheated that we didn't see a single snowflake this winter. I had my new Quattro and new winter tyres ready and waiting but no chance to have some fun. But I can confirm that my Golf with the same gearbox was fine in snow with the occasional manual override, though again always with winter tyres.
Both me and my wife had a few 'moments' on black ice this winter. Which reminds me - will need to sort out 4 new winter tyres for her car this summer. The old car had 15 inch wheels so the tyres wont fit the Audi. My uncle is coming over from Canada this year. I want to get his opinion. My uncle, aunt and 2 cousins all fit winter tyres. They have to. He moved from Audi Quattro to Subaru AWD. Though I think he is talking about going back to Quattro for some reason. Looking forward to discussing the pros and cons of 4WD vs winter tyres, with someone who has to drive on snow and ice for 4 months of the year.

We both have Goodyear Ultragrip 8s for winter. We have also had a few 'moments' when hard braking, on mild wet days. The new Conti TS850 looks like it might be a better all round tyre.

Edit to add: to those of you who have or are thinking about getting winter tyres... to paraphrase... better to have winter tyres and not need them, than be in a situation where you need them and don't have them. Most of this winter I did not need winter tyres, but the day a drove up to a junction covered in black ice I was so glad I had them. Something similar happened to my wife.

Last edited:
Have look at this Winter tyres: 4x4 grip test video | Auto Express

Highlights the importance of winter tyres, however they didn't lock in 4WD beforehand as you can in my Sportage, and I think a bit more power would have helped too...

Of course worth highlighting that this is driving up a steep ice slick hill, not always what you'll face on a normal winter

In some countries such as Switzerland, Austria and Germany who generally have more snow than the UK, the fitting of Winter Tyres is required by law between certain dates.

Because of this, the Audi Germany Price List has options to order your new Audi on Summer or Winter tyres.

I had a set of Conti TS850 winter tyres on my last car (Golf V6 4motion) and they were brilliant. Very grippy, quieter than the summer Conti2 (!!) and absolutely no aquaplaning even in deep water. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Daz Auto
I wouldn't use efficiency as it goes into coast mode with the gearbox engaged and thus without engine breaking. I'd suggest comfort mode for the same reason you suggest plus using manual whenever you need to use the gears to help slow you or want to hold a high gear. Of course Quattro always helps ;)

Very good point Joe and had not thought of that, though coasting can be deactivated with a light touch of the brake or paddle flip.

John.

i can't function without winters in Aberdeenshire - would make the trip to Glensheeand Cairngorm crazy.
they also work brilliant in wet and clder road temps - no idea why it's not the law in Scotland TBH .........

i can't function without winters in Aberdeenshire - would make the trip to Glensheeand Cairngorm crazy.
they also work brilliant in wet and clder road temps - no idea why it's not the law in Scotland TBH .........

Once you lot abscond maybe it will be...

Reactions: Woody86