S-Tronic

JA60N JL

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals, not posted for a little while but must say i am 100% loving my RS3 its seriously the best car i've owned bar none such an all rounder and ticks all the boxes for me. Just a quick one on the S-Tronic gearbox, ive noticed when going up the box in manual, sport or drive whether pushing it hard or driving like miss DAISY it is flawless so so smooth, however when coming down the box for example coming to a set of lights, i've noticed a small clunk from underneath the car, this happens from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, its not a really loud clunk but with the stereo off it is noticeable, its probably just the way the transmission is and me being a little paranoid !! Has anyone else who has had their machine a bit longer than me heard this and is this normal, i ask this because i had the 6speed S-Tronic in my TTs before and didn't notice it thanks for replies in advance :icon_thumright:

Hi Guys and Gals, not posted for a little while but must say i am 100% loving my RS3 its seriously the best car i've owned bar none such an all rounder and ticks all the boxes for me. Just a quick one on the S-Tronic gearbox, ive noticed when going up the box in manual, sport or drive whether pushing it hard or driving like miss DAISY it is flawless so so smooth, however when coming down the box for example coming to a set of lights, i've noticed a small clunk from underneath the car, this happens from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, its not a really loud clunk but with the stereo off it is noticeable, its probably just the way the transmission is and me being a little paranoid !! Has anyone else who has had their machine a bit longer than me heard this and is this normal, i ask this because i had the 6speed S-Tronic in my TTs before and didn't notice it thanks for replies in advance :icon_thumright:

I have noticed a small clunk from 2nd to 1st.
you really have to be trying to notice it though.
it really does make the car this transmission.
seamless power, epic launches and stress free in traffic.

Thanks Paul, i thought it would be normal just nice to hear someone else hears it too, and yes totally agree the transmission is awesome

I haven't got my RS3 yet.. long wait ahead :(... but, my a3 2.0tfsi quattro does it slightly.. i would imagine this is accentuated on the RS3 - one journalist commented about noise from the diffs on full lock, saying it was "tightly wound" whatever that means?! :)

Haven't noticed but now I know what to listen for I keep an ear out tomorrow and report back. By the sounds of things though it does sounds like its normal......

Ive noticed that. Very evident when slowing down and turning into drive and when stightly on/off gas putting it in the garage.
Doesn't sound nice but guess its normal :)

Haven't noticed but now I know what to listen for I keep an ear out tomorrow and report back. By the sounds of things though it does sounds like its normal......
Cheers Elton for post, by the sounds of it most people are hearing it and seems to be the norm

Ive noticed that. Very evident when slowing down and turning into drive and when stightly on/off gas putting it in the garage.
Doesn't sound nice but guess its normal :)
Sounds exactly like mine mate and other people hearing it too so sounds like its normal for our car