S1 buying guide / advice ?

Hughes1208

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to buy my first Audi this month and it will most likely be the S1. Most likely a 14/15 reg with around 20k miles.

Does anyone have any advice for buying these, anything to look out for or common problems to check for before buying ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ellis

If you're buying it privetly, the only issue that has ever sprung to mind that I personally know of is the clutch slip. When you test drive, take it to 5/6th gear on a long stretch of road at a slow speed and then just plant your foot on the throttle and see if the revs jump or if it goes smoothly.

Obviously this can still happen with buying a car from a dealer but with a dealer, you'll more than likely get some sort of warrenty.

That's all I know of.

As above - test the clutch.

Other than that they're seemingly pretty solid!

Let us know what you get, with pics of course!

If you're buying it privetly, the only issue that has ever sprung to mind that I personally know of is the clutch slip. When you test drive, take it to 5/6th gear on a long stretch of road at a slow speed and then just plant your foot on the throttle and see if the revs jump or if it goes smoothly.

Obviously this can still happen with buying a car from a dealer but with a dealer, you'll more than likely get some sort of warrenty.

That's all I know of.

Thanks for your reply, if the car is under warranty would Audi cover the clitch slipping ? I understand it's a wear and tear part but surely the clutch shouldn't be going after only 20k miles.

Thanks for your reply, if the car is under warranty would Audi cover the clitch slipping ? I understand it's a wear and tear part but surely the clutch shouldn't be going after only 20k miles.

Sometimes they will cover them as goodwill because they know they aren't up to the job, but it all depends on the dealer to be honest

Buy my car, it has an uprated clutch fitted already :)

Sorry to hear the 'hot date' and test drive in the motorway services didn't work out Dom :D

Actually I think I said on FB that I think not meeting the mystery buyer was probably way safer, you might have ended up drugged and with zero memory of what happened to you.... ha ha

Remember to check if the fuel lines rattle against the body in the engine bay during a cold start. Not an issue reliability wise, but it could mean a day at the garage to fix. Can probably ask if the issue has been addressed.

Sorry to hear the 'hot date' and test drive in the motorway services didn't work out Dom :D

Actually I think I said on FB that I think not meeting the mystery buyer was probably way safer, you might have ended up drugged and with zero memory of what happened to you.... ha ha

That's the other Dom, I had mine first :p

Reactions: lfcrule1972
Also, check if there is really bad judder when you full lock reverse from start. It will judder but check if it's acceptable or not. I think it's the diff at the back?...not sure