S1 engine stop start questions

ecsk

Reaction score
S1 owners, just wonder how's your engine stop start behave. After the engine stop, how soon it kick start itself without driver intervention ?

I just had my S1, brand new delivery from dealer, only 6 weeks old now done 600km. The engine starts in very short period of time after it stop, I measured it in last few trip, it is consistently about 30 seconds. I think 30 seconds is too short, a lot of red traffic light last more than that .
Owner manual has this description:

Engine cuts in again automatically when :
- The vehicle starts to roll
- Applies to automatic air cond, the windscreen is being defrost
- The brake is pressed several times in successive
- The battery charge drops to an insufficient level
- The power consumption is too high

I'm wondering if there is any fault, or 30 seconds cuts in is normal for Audi stop start system.

Sounds normal to me, it will probably get quicker as the summer approaches as the air con takes quite a lot of power so this will need the engine running to get it working without stressing the battery too much.

When I first got mine it used to do that now it stays off until I want to go not a clue why it did it but it sorted itself T out

There are many variables I think, power consumption and battery charge are the easiest to understand..... I find that on long journeys it can be several minutes before it restarts, on short journeys to work (10 miles ish) 30 seconds is about average

I turn start stop off every time I get in the car. Job done.

Reactions: JudderMan, Itshen, daytonamart and 1 other person
There are many variables I think, power consumption and battery charge are the easiest to understand..... I find that on long journeys it can be several minutes before it restarts, on short journeys to work (10 miles ish) 30 seconds is about average

That's my daily usage, even less than 10 miles one way, sound like there's nothing that I need to worry about.

I turn start stop off every time I get in the car. Job done.

Appreciate your input, however this isn't what this discussion is about.

It just seems like a funny discussion to be having given that the answer to your question is so variable.

The reason I made the comment I did was that I didn't buy a car like this for economy, the start stop feature renders itself rather pointless in most circumstances.

It just seems like a funny discussion to be having given that the answer to your question is so variable.

The reason I made the comment I did was that I didn't buy a car like this for economy, the start stop feature renders itself rather pointless in most circumstances.

Again, I raised this thread not for asking opinion about whether start-stop feature is useful, there are countless discussion on internet about this already. I just asked S1 owner experience about how soon the engine cut in after stop. Once again thank you for your feedback mate.

Never worried about the stop start starting when its active in mine, starts as soon as clutch is dipped so ready running when 1st has been selected .

I can solve this issue. Immediately turn it off as soon as you start the car! Its annoying and saves you ****** all fuel

So, on our 4+ hour trip to Liverpool the use of stop/start when in traffic for around 30 plus minutes didn't save any fuel? ha ha ok......

Agreed, on my 10 mile daily commute the fuel savings are minimal but when I can see the mpg dropping on the display as I sit with the engine running I know that every time I use stop/start I'm saving some fuel. :)

First thing i do is turn mine off its annoying and saves you **** all

So, on our 4+ hour trip to Liverpool the use of stop/start when in traffic for around 30 plus minutes didn't save any fuel? ha ha ok......

Agreed, on my 10 mile daily commute the fuel savings are minimal but when I can see the mpg dropping on the display as I sit with the engine running I know that every time I use stop/start I'm saving some fuel. :)

sorry to say but you use 2x more fuel restarting the engine... so no fuel is actually saved. you also put extra wear on the starter motor using start-stop too

So it's better to run the car for the 30mins of traffic ?? :) You're funny..... I can see the mpg dropping on the display when I do this, on stop/start this doesn't happen. I agree there is extra wear on the engine but it does save fuel.

So......

From: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Does stop-start help save fuel?
Yes - in situations where you’re stationary with the engine idling, such as in heavy traffic or waiting for traffic lights to change, it will save however much fuel would have been used by the engine while the car is stationary.

How much fuel is saved is often disputed and depends almost entirely upon the type of driving undertaken with the system. Obviously, more stationary time means more fuel saved. There are also occasions when stop-start will not kick in, for example if the engine is cold, the system is less likely to intervene, to allow the engine to warm up fully. It may also not shut off the engine if the battery is below a certain level, if, like Volvo’s system, the driver unfastens their seatbelt, or if you turn the air conditioning on.

Stop-start is also designed to decrease emissions in urban areas where traffic is more likely to be stationary for longer, so despite the benefit to drivers’ fuel consumption, there are more benefits to the systems than monetary ones.

Last edited:
Not as much as you think maybe? My personal experience disagrees, and even if it didn’t how can running the engine for 30mins use less fuel than stop/start?

Not as much as you think maybe? My personal experience disagrees, and even if it didn’t how can running the engine for 30mins use less fuel than stop/start?

unless you are physically sat still not moving for a full 30mins then that's the only way you would be saving fuel.

but if you are moving and shutting down and moving and shutting down more than a couple of times within minutes then no fuel is saved. they energy it takes to start an engine far outweighs the cost it takes to keep it running. (bit like a steam train).