S1, magnetic ride or not?

Reaction score
Probably been asked before, but I'm sorry I can't be bothered trawling through posts.
Does the S1 have this or not? I'd kind of assumed that the different drive modes meant that it does, but am I wrong?

No, it has electronically controlled dampers.
Difference is;
With magride the fluid can be magantised making it harder to flow and so firming up the suspension. The level of magnetism is varied continuously based on DriveSelect and other inputs.

With the electric dampers, imaging a normal damper with a manual adjuster knob that’s opens/closes a valve to restrict/allow the flow of the oil inside (making it harder/softer) - many aftermarket shocks have this, you may have also seen it on the forks of a mountain bike, little knob on top of the fork. Now put a motor on that adjuster. DriveSelect being in Dynamic/Comfort will move that knob, thus changing the ride, but it is not adaptive or reactive like magride, just different set levels of damping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johnny 99
No, it has electronically controlled dampers.
Difference is;
With magride the fluid can be magantised making it harder to flow and so firming up the suspension. The level of magnetism is varied continuously based on DriveSelect and other inputs.

With the electric dampers, imaging a normal damper with a manual adjuster knob that’s opens/closes a valve to restrict/allow the flow of the oil inside (making it harder/softer) - many aftermarket shocks have this, you may have also seen it on the forks of a mountain bike, little knob on top of the fork. Now put a motor on that adjuster. DriveSelect being in Dynamic/Comfort will move that knob, thus changing the ride, but it is not adaptive or reactive like magride, just different set levels of damping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for a very clear explanation.

In removing my shocks I did not find a motor on top. The wires get plugged directly into the top of the shaft of the shock. The 2 small pins are recessed into the shaft a bit. So I would have thought is uses electromagnet rather then adjuster knob

Reactions: Johnny 99
In removing my shocks I did not find a motor on top. The wires get plugged directly into the top of the shaft of the shock. The 2 small pins are recessed into the shaft a bit. So I would have thought is uses electromagnet rather then adjuster knob

You're misunderstanding the explanation above. He's saying it's like a shock with an adjuster - it just changes the valving. That's what's fitted to the S1 electrically operated valve shocks. Mag ride stiffens the shock fluid and is actively monitored and adjusted by the car.

Reactions: Johnny 99, josedebardi and Labern