S1 Updated Clutch

linux_bb

Reaction score
Hi

I have been reading through several posts where people have said the S1 after sometime in 2017 has a better clutch (not a high bar by the sound of it). I am thinking about a 2018 S1 and just wondering if anyone had any detail or had this confirmed of if it is just a rumour ?

Really like the car but don't really want the hassle of a clutch made of cheese, I know you can get a third party one but with a very new car this is likely to cause them to blame that for everything and not honour the warranty (got to love a get out clause). Can just imagine it, windows stopped working .... must have been the clutch you had fitted :p

Reactions: Sandra and Ian Whiffen
I've never seen any proof of a more durable clutch being fitted to S1's made during 2017.

If you're buying new and the car hasn't been modded and assuming you're not going to launch it all the time the OEM should be fine. Mine didn't die until I had a map that took it to 336bhp and 476nm of torque. I'd put aside the money for a Sachs Organic clutch so wasn't surprised ;)

I've never seen any proof of a more durable clutch being fitted to S1's made during 2017.

If you're buying new and the car hasn't been modded and assuming you're not going to launch it all the time the OEM should be fine. Mine didn't die until I had a map that took it to 336bhp and 476nm of torque. I'd put aside the money for a Sachs Organic clutch so wasn't surprised ;)

Thanks , nope , no mods , it’s a 18 plate demonstrator with 2000 miles on the clock

Wow, surprised the clutch didn’t just melt with that much power :tearsofjoy:

Yeah I see that seems to be the clutch to get , are there any suggested places to get them fitted if it comes to that ? I am in Bedfordshire, only place I saw suggested so far was awesomegti which is in Manchester

Hello
Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting an upgraded clutch fitted to my s1, my clutch has started to slip in 6th gear (high toruque) I’ve got in touch with company’s near me about getting the Sachs upgraded clutch fitted but they are suggesting that I most likely need my fly wheel replaced too ?! Is this neccescary or would the car be fine just fitting the clutch and a new clutch release baring fitted ? TIA

Mine didn’t need replacing, the clutch slipped a couple of times so I used Efficiency mode and more gentle driving until the clutch was replaced (Sachs Organic clutch kit) two weeks later.

The fly wheel was fine, I’d say if you haven’t been seeing lots of clutch slip it won’t need doing. Just get it booked in ASAP.

Reactions: Joshua Drever
Mine didn’t need replacing, the clutch slipped a couple of times so I used Efficiency mode and more gentle driving until the clutch was replaced (Sachs Organic clutch kit) two weeks later.

The fly wheel was fine, I’d say if you haven’t been seeing lots of clutch slip it won’t need doing. Just get it booked in ASAP.

Thanks mate !

I’ve not driven the car since i noticed it slipping so hopefully the fly wheel is fine and when I was driving it home I drove in efficiency mode so let’s hope it won’t need doing thanks again for the help

No worries, as I said I had to drive mine for two weeks at around 30 miles a day, don't launch it and make sure you change down gear rather than putting your foot down in a higher gear (don't labour the clutch in other words)

No worries, as I said I had to drive mine for two weeks at around 30 miles a day, don't launch it and make sure you change down gear rather than putting your foot down in a higher gear (don't labour the clutch in other words)

How do you like the Sachs organic clutch?

I like it, firmer than the stock clutch but not too hard for driving in traffic. My wife doesn't mind it either - I commute around 80-95 miles a day and with a combination of A roads and motorways it's easy to live with.

Much happier that this one can cope with the stage 1 map ;)

Hey I'm going to upgrade to stage 1 and have a Sachs organic clutch put in same time. They said to me to get the flywheel changed aswell but I can't justify £640 for that especially as I've done 15000 granny miles.

I drove mine for two weeks after it started slipping (following the map), I used Efficiency mode and avoided hard driving until the clutch was changed and the flywheel was fine and didn't need replacing. I'd avoid it as unnecessary cost unless the garage proves that yours is damaged