S3 8L shocks

millsy75

Reaction score
Morning all,

The car is just about to hit 90K, it's been lowered on eibach springs approx 3 years ago. I like the ride and the drop.

I'm guessing my shocks won't really be doing their job now so I was thinking of replacing them like for like - to keep a nice ride and freshen the car up a bit.

Other than TPS is there somewhere else I could buy the factory shocks from cheaper?

Anybody else done this?

Thanks.

If they are Bilstein quality (or anything like Bilstein B14's) they should be a nice upgrade from soft, noisy and floaty of old shocks that's for sure.

They might be firmer than what you've got but shouldn't be hard and crash unless you stiffen up the mounts/bushes while you're at it.

Reactions: millsy75
I have done the usual mods like arb's and polybush that's why I was thinking of putting standard shocks on to keep a level of comfort. Aftermarket shocks I have had in the past on othe cars have been harsh and crashy that's why i'm sceptical about going aftermarket.

then go OEM Tesco brand? :p

(i forget what your home brands are over in the UK)

Morning all,

The car is just about to hit 90K, it's been lowered on eibach springs approx 3 years ago. I like the ride and the drop.

I'm guessing my shocks won't really be doing their job now so I was thinking of replacing them like for like - to keep a nice ride and freshen the car up a bit.

Other than TPS is there somewhere else I could buy the factory shocks from cheaper?

Anybody else done this?

Thanks.
I replaced mine with apex shocks and springs rides awesome really comfortable

Are these not harsh and crashy?

BILSTEIN
Bilstein B8 Sprint Shock Absorber

bil_b_08_fre.jpg

Bilstein B8 Sprint Dampers are specially designed to be used with lowered and uprated springs on lowered vehicles. They are the perfect solution for anyone that wants increased handling capabilities and a sports suspension set up. The shortened dampers provide the optimal balance when combined with lowered sports springs. The legendary Bilstein damping smoothes out bumps for an excellent ride, but gives excellent high speed road holding.

Bilstein B8 Sprint Dampers offer :

• Shortened high performance shock absorbers that suit virtually all lowering springs or standard springs
  • Sporty approach with high level of comfort
  • Precision handling and optimised vehicle control
  • Gas pressure technology
  • Bilstein mono-tube / upside-down technology, made in Germany
  • Road-tested and fine tuned by Bilstein
The Bilstein B8 damper is the perfect choice for those wanting the highest performance, lowered suspension.

Oem quality shocks from Euros, gsf, or carparts4less and the like maybe?

Priced up standard shocks at TPS - £320ish. I'll see if euro car parts do the same quality standard shocks.

Need to look into the prices of aftermarket shocks as once bought and fitted I would just have to live with it.

Will have a read on apex and Bilstein B8 shocks see how the majority find them.

Oe Bilstein is Bilstein B4 .

Except they only do B6 and B8 for an S3 , kinda tells you something...

Do you think the standard shocks are worn out very quickly when fitted with aftermarket lowering springs?

Read the stickies and the Bilstein B8 seem highly rated on the forum.

B8's are not hard & crashy. They are actually smoother than I thought they would be, coupled with H&R springs, and I regularly drive on unsealed roads.

Ok thanks mate. I am currently running Eibach springs which I like so would most likely stick with them. Hopefully it would be the same ride height as is now if I chose the B8' shocks.

When I looked at H&R springs in the past if I remember right the cars didn't look level (higher at the front or back).

Your springs will determine the height, dampers are to do just that - dampen. B8's with your Apex springs should be sweet and keep current ride height.

Last edited:
doesn't @<tuffty/> ride on apex springs and B8s?

I have HnR springs and B8s... i suspect your experience of aftermarket may be tainted by the budget aftermarket section aimed at achieving the look of performance rather than actually achieving performance

If TPS do standard shocks for £320 (all four shocks?) and your continuing your search for a cheaper price then you'd be aiming at the budget end of the aftermarket spectrum - DPM offers a set of B8s for £570

Last edited:
Damian, do you have any opinion on running Eibach springs with the B8 as opposed to H&R?

Are there any bushes you would recommend changing? I did the LCR top mounts recently and have R32 rear ARB and adjustable rear arms. Do you price match when I start shopping around?

Thanks.

The Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach Pro springs are what make up the B12 kit so a great combination.

Yes we always try to price match / beat.

Front and rear wishbone bushes are always worth while but the list is pretty much endless on the Quattro chassis so all depends how far you want to go.

Damian @ DPM Performance