S3 8P 2007 - Revo Stage 2 Problem

lgu00174

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my 2007 S3 remapped today from stock to Revo stage 2, however when out on the road test i couldn't feel much difference in performance.

I previously had a 2007 leon cupra remapped at stage 1 and i have driven several other remapped 2.0 tfsi engined cars so i have a good idea of how good they feel to drive.

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Cheers

Pete

Your going to have to give us a bit more detail than that for us to be able to make a punt at what could be causing it!!!!!

We know it's not the map, but the car will need to adapt, so don't expect ballistic performance out of the box.

Some questions for you?

1) What other mods are you running?
2) What mileage is the car?
3) When was it last serviced?
4) Why did the garage not check for error codes if it didn't feel right after loading the code?

The car has milltek TBE with sports cat and ITG induction kit.
57,000 miles it is due a service next month however it is running fine and is showing no faults or errors.

Cheers

forgot to mention, the software was removed by the revo agent and is now back to stock settings.

Hmmmm, so all the basics for S2.

What boost / timing / fuelling settings did they use when it was loaded?

Who was the agent out of curiosity? Not for flaming, just for interest sake.

Couldn't tell you the exact settings to be honest, i'm pretty sure the guy had set it up properly but i've driven cars and owned cars with only stage 1 that felt amazing to drive.

It was done in Edinburgh.

Trial, or full map code?

Hmmm, interesting.

The only word of caution I would add is:

Stage 1 offers nearly 50bhp of extra power, and when people go for stage 2 they expect the same meteoric gains they get from stage 1. Stage 2 probably adds another 20bhp max, it's stage 2+ which really moves the game on again as the car needs extra fuelling.

Remember the car will not have had the time to adapt, and if the dealer has not optimised the settings for your car (e.g. with SPS) max gains may not have been immediately noticeable.

Tough call really. Stage 2 was good on my car, but S2+ is where I really felt it started to make sense.

i appreciate what your saying about expectations of stage 2 compared to stage 1 but i couldn't feel a significant improvement over stock never mind over stage 1.

i appreciate what your saying about expectations of stage 2 compared to stage 1 but i couldn't feel a significant improvement over stock never mind over stage 1.

In that case there had to be something significantly wrong.

I'd strongly suggest getting car checked with VCDS, as there is a noticeable different from 1 to 2, I promise you!

Last edited:
The guy checked it with VCDS and everything appeared fine, he also said the data and graphs etc were all normal. Only suggestion given was perhaps the cam follower but i removed it as soon as i got home and it looks fine.

I was so looking forward to this being done today as well

Cam follower wouldn't cause under performance, it either works or it fails.

I just can't get my head around it so I've spoken to someone at Revo HQ for a second opinion and I'll let you know their response in due course mate.

Do revo not give a before and after graph?

Last edited:
Asking a silly question here, but are you sure it didn't already have a stage1 map on it? Could a previous owner have had it remapped before you got it?

Surely the 'tuner' read the software before just uploading a tuned file?

Any car tuner would read then 'open' the original software - and tell the customer if it was already tuned. Remapping any vehicle is instantly noticeable.

Yes they have adaptation values but you will notice a considerable difference in power as soon as the modified software is on. The only time these 1.8T feel 'funky' is if the coil pack was on its way out (usually Cyl 1). A quick swap for a new one will solve this

:D

No its not.........Just because you can read the map doesnt necessarily mean you can tell if its been mapped or not regardless of tuner. Revo maps are locked so very difficult to read and open.

lol

of course you can tell if it is remapped or not - provided you can read the software. Yes - REVO have their own eprom coding but this isn't a problem. If you ring head office they will tell you how to remove their software completely.

You tune engines so shouldn't care for another tuner's knowledge anyway? Lets keep this on track.

He has had a REVO Stage 2 Remap. Surely this REVO Dealer is able to look at his own work? If he read the file and it was already tuned, it would maybe have a 'no read' tag on it. But a REVO Dealer is able to see if it is already REVO tuned. Their tool will say.

:)