S3 8P buying advice

millsy75

Reaction score
Evening all, as the title suggests I'm looking to buy an S3 8P. Was looking for some general tips. Looking at lower mileage DSG/S-TRONIC examples.

When was the facelift introduced? Is the auto box the same on all years of the 8P model?

Thanks.

The facelift was introduced around 2009. You can tell them by the indicators missing from the wings and placed into the mirrors. As for the gearboxes, not sure if they were the same but it’s very important that they have been serviced every 40,000 miles. Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: millsy75
The facelift was introduced around 2009. You can tell them by the indicators missing from the wings and placed into the mirrors. As for the gearboxes, not sure if they were the same but it’s very important that they have been serviced every 40,000 miles. Hope that helps a little.
Thanks for the reply, the car I'm going to look at is on a 2010 so should be facelift 50,000 miles 3 owners full history. Would love wingbacks and pan roof but will probably be waiting forever ha ha. I previously owned a S3 8L hybrid turbo and currently a RS3 8V PFL stage 2.

2010 will be a facelift, iirc S-Tronic wasn't an option on the S3 pre-facelift

As above, check that the s-tronic/DSG box has been serviced, and also that the haldex has had new oil and a new filter (most Indies will replace the filter these days but Audi won't!). Also check that if it has the later revisions of dipstick, pcv and DV - I would budget for these if not - all 3 will cost you around £100 so not a deal breaker.

Reactions: abmat and millsy75
Thanks for the replies, some good info here.

I'm guessing/hoping the S3 8P now being a relatively old car it won't be targeted by car thieves/career criminals?

I know it's rife with the newer models, I'm switching my RS3 8V for the S3 8P with the view of having a car I can enjoy and not have to look over my shoulder all the time.

Sad but I know how society is.

Cheers.

In the early S3 8P days the scumbags were targeting the silver coloured mirrors where an owner would come out in the morning to see they had both been ripped off.
I even considered having a set of body coloured mirror caps to make the car blend in.
If your RS3 is stage 2, you can get to 370bhp on the S3 fairly easily. You may even find decent tuning parts 2nd hand now that cars are being sold on.

In the early S3 8P days the scumbags were targeting the silver coloured mirrors where an owner would come out in the morning to see they had both been ripped off.
I even considered having a set of body coloured mirror caps to make the car blend in.
If your RS3 is stage 2, you can get to 370bhp on the S3 fairly easily. You may even find decent tuning parts 2nd hand now that cars are being sold on.
I remember it was the same with the silver wing mirrors on the S3 8L. I just know it wouldn't be long if I chose to park the RS3 on the drive before I was broken into. I think a black S3 8P will be left alone hopefully. I was thinking either stage 2 on the KO4 or potentially a turbo swop TTE? Not sure how strong the standard blocks are though?

Thanks.

The standard block will cope with a TTE 420 but a 480 would not be able to run at its full potential.

Still looking for a decent S3 8P, could somebody tell me what the black edition includes over a non black edition?

Cheers.

Gloss black surround on front grille, tinted rear windows, RNSE with bluetooth and different alloys. I think that's it.

Mines a Black Edition, as @nluk100 mentions. I also have Bose but not sure if that’s an option or standard.

Thanks guys, just trying to do some research and get the right one. Plan to go TTE420 as I don't really want the expense of forging the block so reckon that's the sweet spot maybe for tuning?

The sweet spot for 8P is stage 2+ with an intercooler. The TTE420 will add more power for sure but you lose quite a bit of low down grunt. You will also need to replace the injectors to get above 400 bhp and this can get quite expensive as the best ones for the 8P are the 8V RS3 injectors (you usually need a loom to match too).

Just my 2p's worth - been there.

Both RTech and AKS can provide upgraded injectors that do not need the modification to the cylinder head or the modified RS3 loom. Check out the hybrid Venom turbos. I believe RTech have had good results on the TFSI engines.