S3 8P - Mechanical Noise from rear hub!

silverlogic

S3RVA
Reaction score
Just on my way to B&Q earlier and I'd just commented on the brakes sqeaking abit. Anyway next thing is I hear a load of mechanical scraping like metal on metal. :wtf:

Was tempted to get the RAC out just in case but drove it home none the less. Looked at it on the drive and its defo comin from the back left hub/ calipers - cant figure it out further as the weathers attrocious here atm.

Anyone experienced anything like this? Ive just short of hitting 9k miles and am nearly due for the service?

I'll keep you updated as soon as I find out. :crying:

Had a similar experience, turned out that a stone had managed to get itself wedged between the brake disk and the backplate. Sounded terrible and highly embarrassing in a new car!

me too, had a stone wedge itself in there, very odd noise (Thought it was another wheel bearing :) )

good stuff I can handle a stone lol :icon_thumright:

cheers guys will see what it is in the morning hopefully

if it is a stone idve looked a proper numpty callin the RAC out... lmao:blow:

same here, a loud whining noise.. turned out to be a nearside rear wheel bearing, have it booked in now, dealer says its safe to drive!!

sure, until the wheel falls off!

I had the stone problem too. It sounded terrible and we were in the process of moving house so called the RAC as I had no time to deal with it. The solution the RAC chap used was to take the wheelbrace and firmly press on the lower edge of the rear disc cover plate (which projects below the disc). A very small stone fell out!! Slightly embarassing as it took longer to do the paperwork than it did to cure the problem.

Also had the stone problem years ago on my VR6 Golf. However a friend of mine has just had his rear pads replaced on his 57 plate S3 due to a squeeking problem under warranty!

Yup was a stone between the disk and the guard plate - ground it down to a shiny mirror too.

All is now well - thanks for the replies folks :icon_thumright:

Glad to hear that's all it was, now go out and enjoy the car