S3 8p suspension

Michael270

Reaction score
Hi I’m looking to change the shock absorbers in my S3. I was looking to get bilstein b6 front and rear but can’t find any would the mk5 golf gti bilstein b6’s fit or does anybody know of any alternatives all help appreciated thank you

I just had these fitted to my S3:

I had H&R 25mm springs and standard shocks before. Front right shock absorber was identified as damaged during MOT and couldn't get any Bilstein dampers in time (was planning on getting B8s), there's a major backlog on suspension parts at the moment due to a global shortage of steel I believe.

So went for these coilovers which were recommended by the guys at Awesome GTI. Was avoiding coilovers for fear that they would be too harsh but honestly the transformation in the ride is night and day. It's more comfortable than stock or the H&Rs, is firm over bumps but not excessively so, feels planted and is a pleasure to drive. These are made by KW, same as the ST-X in terms of rebound and damping but are their cheaper brand but really don't skimp on the quality. Would highly recommend getting these fitted to anyone wanting to improve the S3 stock suspension without spending a fortune. Awesome GTI will fit them for £199 Inc vat, which includes full geometry, 4 wheel alignment and tracking. Highly recommended for normal/fast road use.

If you're wanting to track the car then you'd either want to get something more track focused like the KWv1s/v2s, or supplement these AP Coilovers with H&R anti-roll bars, an anti lift kit and adjustable drop links and new bushes - stuff that you'd probably want to do anyway regardless of which coilovers or spring/dampers you go for if you want to track it or improve the handling and kill the understeer although having these things fitted will make it firmer I believe.

Reactions: e9_mustii
I just had these fitted to my S3:

I had H&R 25mm springs and standard shocks before. Front right shock absorber was identified as damaged during MOT and couldn't get any Bilstein dampers in time (was planning on getting B8s), there's a major backlog on suspension parts at the moment due to a global shortage of steel I believe.

So went for these coilovers which were recommended by the guys at Awesome GTI. Was avoiding coilovers for fear that they would be too harsh but honestly the transformation in the ride is night and day. It's more comfortable than stock or the H&Rs, is firm over bumps but not excessively so, feels planted and is a pleasure to drive. These are made by KW, same as the ST-X in terms of rebound and damping but are their cheaper brand but really don't skimp on the quality. Would highly recommend getting these fitted to anyone wanting to improve the S3 stock suspension without spending a fortune. Awesome GTI will fit them for £199 Inc vat, which includes full geometry, 4 wheel alignment and tracking. Highly recommended for normal/fast road use.

If you're wanting to track the car then you'd either want to get something more track focused like the KWv1s/v2s, or supplement these AP Coilovers with H&R anti-roll bars, an anti lift kit and adjustable drop links and new bushes - stuff that you'd probably want to do anyway regardless of which coilovers or spring/dampers you go for if you want to track it or improve the handling and kill the understeer although having these things fitted will make it firmer I believe.
Do they lower the car trying to avoid lowering it thanks

They are adjustable, so when mine were fitted I had the height set to about the same drop as the H&Rs were which is around 25mm, which is lower but not too much over stock and definitely doesn't look "slammed". You could however have them fitted at stock height I'm sure, or just have the front lowered slightly so the wheel arch gap matches the rear which is a common criticism among S3 owners.

Hi I’m looking to change the shock absorbers in my S3. I was looking to get bilstein b6 front and rear but can’t find any would the mk5 golf gti bilstein b6’s fit or does anybody know of any alternatives all help appreciated thank you

What springs are you running?

Damian @ DPM Performance

It would be the B8's you'd need -

Damian @ DPM Performance

It would be the B8's you'd need -

Damian @ DPM Performance
And would they be a lot stiffer than the b6 not going to track my car much

Bear in mind you'll almost certainly need new top mounts and bearings if you're changing the dampers.

If you go for B8s all round and you're sticking with stock springs then you won't need the B8s shortening, but I think most would recommend new springs if yours are old. If you're thinking of lowering the car even slightly then you may need the B8s shortening. This is one of the reasons I went for the coilover kit because it's all in one and no messing around and can be adjusted to suit your ride height when needed - a garage would likely need to do this for you and re-adjust the suspension geometry and 4 wheel alignment but that's not expensive.