S3 8P to A4 3.0TDI 245 B/Edition quattro saloon

Shadowman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Moved from a B8 S4 ( best car I ever owned ) to an 8P S3 18 months ago, but i've now got a new job which involves driving to and from work each day, equating to approx. 20,000 miles per year.

Consequently, the S3 has to go for something more economical and a bit bigger ( for clients ), so I am looking at ordering the A4 B/Edition 245 3.0tdi quattro saloon and would appreciate your thoughts, as it's been a while since I ordered an A4.

1. What kind of discount would you deem reasonable on this model ?
2. What are the 'must have' options these days ?....I'm looking at getting Daytona Grey / Electric mirrors / Interior Light Pack / Hill Hold Assist / Technology Pack High / Drive Select / Leather + Alcantara seats....anything obvious i've missed ?
3. The commute will mainly be motorway, so what kind of real-world mpg will I get cruising at 80 ish ?

Appreciate any feedback from owners of this model so I know what to expect.

Thanks

I've had an '08 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro Avant since August and I'm loving it. It's standard in the engine department, so whilst it may not have the out and out performance of your previous models, it does have great mid range pull which makes it feel quick without trying.
You need to try one, but I dont think you'd be dissapointed.

As for fuel consumption, I've copied a reply I posted to a previous thread below as it's relevent:

"Real life figures I'm getting are 37mpg on a combined average, but generally 40mpg if it involves motorway runs (keeping to 80).
I do drive quite "enthusiastically" to come by these figures, so I don't think you'd see much less... if the tanks low and I just tickle it, 45mpg is possible, but that defeats the point of picking the V6.

I do a mixed commute of 30 miles, generally 25 minutes urban, traffic lights queuing etc and 20 mins motorway and get 39 in the morning and 41 in the evening (think thats because the motorway section is biased to one end of the trip and it prefers to hit the motorway sooner rather than later as it warms up quicker)
Don't expect much more on longer runs though, on a recent run from Manchester to Southampton and back in a day I managed 41mpg on the way there on crusie (79mph) and nudging 43mpg on the way back at similar speeds without cruise interestingly.

Having had a 1.9tdi B6 Sport. 2.0 tdi B7 S-Line and a B6 2.5tdi Quattro Sport before, I'm very happy with the figures and the turn of speed. The only time the guage really takes a noticable hammering is if you get stuck in standing traffic (its clear where the stop/start system gains come from) and if you push much above 80.

I'm finding an £80 fill up goes 450-500 miles"

The newer model you're considering I can only imagine eaks a little more from the tank. Oh, and it doesn't use engine oil either, which can be costly these days

Hope thats some help,
Ian​

Last edited:
Ok....deal is done.

On order is a new A4 3.0TDI 245 quattro Saloon Black Edition, S-Tronic, Daytona Grey with Technology Pack, Interior Light Pack, Drive Select, Damper Control, Electric mirrors and Alcantara & Leather trim.....can't wait now !!

Reactions: Ninjatrol
I bet you cant wait!! That mpg quoted by 5102 IA is brilliant, much better than my 177 2.0 tdi.Just dont get it 'supaguarded' etc from the dealer as its a pointless waste of dosh.

Well done, did you order adaptive cruise control or high beam assist? Both quite useful on the motorways...

No, I didn't get anything other than those i've listed.

Don't need heated seats as they have the Alcantara inserts so will be fine ( had heating and leather on my last two cars, and I think I only used it three or four times in total ).....I wouldn't use adaptive cruise ( I think it has normal cruise as standard which is fine ) and I've heard a few negative stories about high beam assist having sporadic dipping or not dipping at all so I'll just use my own senses for that one..:)

Jonny, thanks but I've been caught out before with the Superguard rubbish.. Never again !!!

Already looking at DTUK's tuning box in order to improve performance, and I haven't even GOT IT YET !!!

Last edited:
I had one of the first B8 S4's and it was by far the best car I ever owned...fantastic, but would regularly see mid 20's mpg !!

I've had the 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Tronic since December and the main option that I would recommend that you may not have ordered is the Quattro Differential - makes quite a difference to the way the car drives when you get into the twisty stuff as the car feels really direct. I didn't order the adaptive dampers which was probably my only regret as the drive select works reasonably well...

Fuel economy wise - over a 30 mile commute to work via motorway and lanes I'm getting approx 37mpg, which is improving now the weather has warmed up. I tend to get 380-390 miles to 54 litres.

Reactions: Shadowman