S3 8v facelift smoke on start up

Dunkz

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please, im getting smoke out of my exhausts on my s3 8v 310ps facelift on start up looks blue ish so assuming its oil. Only happens when its been left overnight but occasionally will do it an hour or so after being sat. Sometimes quite bad. Sometimes a quick puff. Doesnt smoke any other time. Car is a 66 plate on 27k miles. Mods are res delete, revo intake and valves programmed to stay open all the time. Any help or advice would be great thanks. Been advised it maybe valve stem seals, if so is that a big job? And rough cost please? Video link below. Thanks

The first thing that came to my mind was valve stem oil seals tbh.
Are you not still in warranty?

Reactions: sean mckenzie and Dunkz
Yes still under warranty mate but dont think they honour it with the mods

If it was me, I'd whip the Revo off and take it in, unless of course your mapped too.
Any power issues or unusual turbo noises?

Yeh thinking the same mate. No not mapped....yet!
I'd strip off what you can as it will only give them an excuse to refuse any potential warranty claim and take it in.
I've always had positive experiences with warranty claims but then I've always removed anything eye-catching, especially under bonnet!

Reactions: rcnacura and Dunkz
Thanks mate
They are relatively easy to change luckily,but also good you are under warranty. Hope they don't be jerks about it as they tend to be. Before going to take it in, find a dealership that is known for customer service as that will help.

You could also take it to an independent shop just for some added ammunition with the diagnostic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dunkz
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please, im getting smoke out of my exhausts on my s3 8v 310ps facelift on start up looks blue ish so assuming its oil. Only happens when its been left overnight but occasionally will do it an hour or so after being sat. Sometimes quite bad. Sometimes a quick puff. Doesnt smoke any other time. Car is a 66 plate on 27k miles. Mods are res delete, revo intake and valves programmed to stay open all the time. Any help or advice would be great thanks. Been advised it maybe valve stem seals, if so is that a big job? And rough cost please? Video link below. Thanks

hello how did you solve your problem thank you

hello what is the solution. thank you

Hi, how did you get on with the smoke issue, I have a 2017 s3, with 30k… and have the exact same issue.
was it a valve stem problem…?? … Im after some advice as this problem is driving me crazy..

many thanks

Interested also in anyone who’s had this problem and a fix as mine has started doing this. 2018 s3 completely stock.

Interested also in anyone who’s had this problem and a fix as mine has started doing this. 2018 s3 completely stock.
Hi,

Ive been told a pcv delete and catch can should solve the problem, ive found mine only does it after hard braking, still annoying though, mines only done 30k, I replaced the turbo at first as I was told that was the problem, but no joy…
5324B579 390F 41BC 83A2 2E85921D77E1

Reactions: AlS3BE
I’m haveing the same thing, did you ever find out ?

2018 golf r 40 k miles. Blue smoke on start up. I had the valve stem oil seals replaced and the problem is fixed. The seals were in a terrible state. Possibly bad batch of seals or bad installation at factory.

I’m haveing the same thing, did you ever find out ?
Nope. Been in twice under warranty and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Still got a year left on my warranty so will see what they say when it’s in next service.

2018 golf r 40 k miles. Blue smoke on start up. I had the valve stem oil seals replaced and the problem is fixed. The seals were in a terrible state. Possibly bad batch of seals or bad installation at factory.
Was it a head off job?

was
Nope. Been in twice under warranty and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Still got a year left on my warranty so will see what they say when it’s in next service.
same with me I’m getting the same, no lights and car drives good it’s a 2018 s3

One of the suggestions I have read, other than the stem seals, is oil getting into the spark plug recess if the seal between the valve cover and head isn't good. Could be worth a look.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Was it done under warranty? If not what was the approx cost if you don't mind? I have an '18 8v s3 with the same issue.

Outside of warranty. Cost 1600quid as they replaced chain and a few other bits.

Outside of warranty. Cost 1600quid as they replaced chain and a few other bits.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but was anything diagnosed in order for them to replace? Or was it just instructed to replace?

Only reason i ask is that they cant diagnose it for warranty and I’m wondering what the best diagnosis is. Apparently the smoke on startup isn’t enough. Thanks