S3 8v Gearbox problem or software

George_P

Reaction score
Ok, got my S3 8v 68 plate with 6k miles. At smooth acceleration the revs go up and down and at about 6k revs the car wants to change the gear, jercks really hard and stays in 3rd gear. Then after couple of atemps it goes into 4th.

Look at the video on YouTube

Taking car to Audi tomorrow hopefully they will find the fault.

The road test with the Audi tech doing 90 mph to show the issue should be interesting :racer:

See what Audi say, more than likely software issue as a pose to mechanical. You very rarely hear the DQ box needing replacement mate, good luck

A problem with gearbox something called mechatronics. Audi will keep my car for up to 10 days as they need to order it from Germany. Cant believe it. Should have bought Hyundai lol

Mechatronics unit is the ecu for the gearbox. It has various solenoids and actuators that control the gearbox. This sits underneath the box I believe and the internals are buried with the gearbox oil so this will need to be drained and new added.
But as you are no doubt in warranty I wouldn’t need to sit down on the price for just the part let alone the labour and stronic oil and filter.

Reactions: George_P
Mechatronics unit is the ecu for the gearbox. It has various solenoids and actuators that control the gearbox. This sits underneath the box I believe and the internals are buried with the gearbox oil so this will need to be drained and new added.
But as you are no doubt in warranty I wouldn’t need to sit down on the price for just the part let alone the labour and stronic oil and filter.

Thanks for you reply, just cant believe it gave up after 6k miles. They just dont make cars like they used to anymore.
You right that I'm lucky with the warranty but someone who buys s3 outside the warranty probably needs another mortgage to cover the costs of parts and labour.

Reactions: DW81
Thanks for you reply, just cant believe it gave up after 6k miles. They just dont make cars like they used to anymore.
You right that I'm lucky with the warranty but someone who buys s3 outside the warranty probably needs another mortgage to cover the costs of parts and labour.

How true George, the mechatronics is around £1800 just for the part, you can see how the cost of this job would spiral mate.
If you was out of warranty and handy with spanner’s you could remove the unit itself and send it off to a company that repairs these for about £250.
Anyway glad you have it sorted

The quote for repairs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-191438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-191438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 459
Good they have diagnosed it and it’s covered under warranty. It is rare for the DQ381 to have an issue but S-trio is is £££.

You might consider taking the video down before you get busted.....

The quote for repairs

That seems about right, all dealerships will do is replace like for like to cover their selfs and you the customer plus you will get 12months guarantee on work and parts.
Glad it’s being sorted

Just an update. 3 weeks in and I still didnt get my car back. Audi fitted new mechatronic unit and that didnt rectify the fault. Now the whole new gearbox is on back order from Germany, which will take another week or so to arrive. Overall 1 month without my well missed S3.

Costs have spiralled then, obviously not to you. I trust they've given you a decent loan car?

That as spiralled at there cost. Dread to think what a new box as cost, 7-8k perhaps

even the quotation on that rear box is amazing... you can buy a full cat back for that...
Hope Audi will chime in when it turns out the box itself is faulty(warrenty) but they have failed us far too many times in this....

Costs have spiralled then, obviously not to you. I trust they've given you a decent loan car?
The S3 gearbox cost is £4.8k plus day of labour which is another ~£800, plus £1k for silencer. So yeh, after all done you looking at around 7k. It's a 7 months old car, luckily All covered by warranty.

They gave me very girly S3 Convertible for two weeks, now I am in another girly TT which I must admit is a very well planted car, handles corners very well at speed. Possibly better than my S3. And exhaust note is much better than stock S3. Very surprised

Reactions: cuke2u
The S3 gearbox cost is £4.8k plus day of labour which is another ~£800, plus £1k for silencer. So yeh, after all done you looking at around 7k. It's a 7 months old car, luckily All covered by warranty.

They gave me very girly S3 Convertible for two weeks, now I am in another girly TT which I must admit is a very well planted car, handles corners very well at speed. Possibly better than my S3. And exhaust note is much better than stock S3. Very surprised
Did they say how it could have happened?
Oil starvation? Manufacturers defect?
It would be good to know how it broke with so little miles on it.

I'm interested myself. The quality of the cars nowadays is not as it used to be. My replacement car TT with 4k miles is rattling everywhere, honestly it sounds like its falling apart.

My car should be done this week and I will find out what caused the gearbox to pack up after 7 months and 5k miles.

Reactions: AlS3BE
The quality of the cars nowadays is not as it used to be.

tell me about it. My 3 week old evoque is going back for suspension rattles/problems. There’s a technical bulletin out for it already and it was only launched in March this year.

After more than 3 weeks in a garage, got my car back with a new gearbox, clutches and muffler.
I have been told that Mechatronic unit is a common fault, however the gearbox problems are not known and it was probably the bad one out of the bunch. Probably my luck. Now I am back on the road :racer: in my well missed S3.

Now the paint job needs to be done after some lovely people vandalised it a few months back :grief:

Glad you got it sorted mate, nice result there.
Unfortunately there are some right scroats out there that care for no ones property