S3 8V Launch Control use?

SmileyS3

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering what everyone thinks or understands about the use of the Launch a Control on the S3?
Are you allowed to just use it all the time or is there some kind of 'recommend usage' ?

I love the sensation of the Launch Control function and it was a major deciding factor in moving from an older Subaru to a brand new car even though I'd been in Subarus for many years.

The only reason I ask is because my mates reckon that, like Nissan GTRs, if you use it too often then it might jeopardise your warranty?

So, does anyone know or has heard of any issues with using Launch Control on a regular basis and then having issues with warranty?

My car is fine by the way. I absolutely love it but what's the point of selling a car with a function if your not allowed to use it whenever you want?!?

Thanks in advance for your replies..

Haven't heard of any problems with Audi let's say in the last 2 years when I've been active on the 'sport' parts of the forum.

In my mind use it sensibly, no good doing it from every other set of lights or on a daily basis. I think my count is up close to 15 now. I hadn't done one for 2 months or so, but a few days ago I just felt the urge haha. It's a show off factor and that's about it.

There is a counter on the car that we are aware of. What I wonder is whether this counts up one every time you hit the limiter in launch mode, or when you pull off because so many people put the cars into launch to just hear the noise.

I'm with you, you can't advertise it and sell the car as having it and then say you've used the feature listed too much. If there was a disclaimer, I could understand.

Reactions: SmileyS3
I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the manual that it puts increased loads on the clutch etc.

I guess if the clutch were to fail Audi would no doubt claim it's wear and tear. There is definitely a counter, my sales guy told me about an RS3 owner who did over 50 and wondered why it started slipping, the owner claimed it was never launched.

Just be sensible with it and don't do too many backs to back.

I launched the RS3 about 20 times on the trot at Rockingham eighth mile. No probs at all on the day and none since.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Forbzeeee, SmileyS3, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Afaik it is just a rumour that there is one?

TX.

It won't break anything, it'll just wear the clutch out faster, obviously.

Clutches are always a wear and tear item so you'll pay for it whenever it needs replacing, just that it'll be sooner if you keep using launch control and I doubt new clutch(es) on an S-Tronic box are cheap.

In VCDS there is a setting in the Gearbox, Advanced Measurements called, anzahl launch control anfahrt

Which loosely translated means , number of launch control directions.

Mine is still at zero and I know it shouldn't be :sunglasses:

Reactions: dandav1985, jungle650, Milnesafc and 4 others
I launched the RS3 about 20 times on the trot at Rockingham eighth mile. No probs at all on the day and none since.

TX.

Act yer age you.....***...lol

Reactions: SmileyS3, Tom.H, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Av done it one time.....novelty wore off instantly.......

Last edited:
In VCDS there is a setting in the Gearbox, Advanced Measurements called, anzahl launch control anfahrt

Which loosely translated means , number of launch control directions.

Mine is still at zero and I know it shouldn't be :sunglasses:
What does it count though, actual launches or just setting it up for launch eg rev noise?

TX.

In the PFL it counted launch setups, whether you took your foot off the brake or didn't go through with it.

In the FL it doesn't seem to count anything.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I guess I just gotta watch out for clutch slip.
Been doing some digging and it does say "can cause wear and tear more quickly" or words to that effect.
On one thread I saw, people were saying that it's actually just a quick to pant your foot in S mode without engaging Launch Control.

The gearbox adjusts the clutches to cover wear so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm on around 250 - 300 launches and so far hasn't had any issues so will carry on enjoying it. With the JB4 it really does throw you back in the seat

Reactions: Djs3saloon, SmileyS3 and Lehn

I'm on around 250 - 300 launches and so far hasn't had any issues so will carry on enjoying it. With the JB4 it really does throw you back in the seat

All comments other than this should not be taken into account :busted cop:

Reactions: k.keppi, Djs3saloon and OliS3

What's a JB4?

What's a JB4?

It increases boost and fuel to suit the extra boost in short. You can limit boost per gear and for me 18.5 psi is perfect for launch control, anything less is wasting power and anything more and the torque limiter kicks and cuts the power.

It increases boost and fuel to suit the extra boost in short. You can limit boost per gear and for me 18.5 psi is perfect for launch control, anything less is wasting power and anything more and the torque limiter kicks and cuts the power.

Where are the settings in the mobile app to set per gear? I have a custom map 6 but don't see how to set PSI per gear

Where are the settings in the mobile app to set per gear? I have a custom map 6 but don't see how to set PSI per gear
Scroll down on the setting page. Mine slips in 2nd at full boost so I've reduced it to 22psi and it's fine. No other gears slip so all good.

89a792c8332f3b646b75b0cc1be32043.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OliS3!! You da man lol. I love that you have done so many Launches.
I tried just planting my foot in S mode and it was rubbish.
I'm just gonna keep on doing what I love.
I hope you are right about the gearbox adjusting the clutches.

OliS3!! You da man lol. I love that you have done so many Launches.
I tried just planting my foot in S mode and it was rubbish.
I'm just gonna keep on doing what I love.
I hope you are right about the gearbox adjusting the clutches.

Haha nice one! They do adjust the clutches. 100%. That doesn't mean they can't go wrong though lol

Ideally you should remap both the ecu and gearbox so the clutches clamp harder but then if it goes bang then 2 kidneys probably wouldn't cover it

Thanks for the replies guys.
I guess I just gotta watch out for clutch slip.
Been doing some digging and it does say "can cause wear and tear more quickly" or words to that effect.
On one thread I saw, people were saying that it's actually just a quick to pant your foot in S mode without engaging Launch Control.

There's a momentary pause as the box engages from stationary in sport vs launch. With launch it's probably ~1 sec faster to 62. Really does make a difference.

Interestingly if you get good at it you don't have to pull away from the lights like you're starting a rally stage and you can avoid that momentary delay as the clutches clamp...you can use launch but don't rev to 4500rpm just 2500rpm or so and it pulls away like you might in a manual car in a hurry. Takes practice but works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the revs are above 2.5k it works a treat

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I've only ever launched it two or three times, it's such a faff to set up that you can't really use it at traffic lights, by the time it's ready to go the lights have changed.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I've only ever launched it two or three times, it's such a faff to set up that you can't really use it at traffic lights, by the time it's ready to go the lights have changed.
Really?

All you gotta do is hit the traction button and plant your feet! :D - assuming you're already in some form of dynamic(individual dynamic or proper dynamic) and sport gearbox setting

Reactions: batch and Djs3saloon
I always drive in dynamic but if you just push down drive goes to sports and other than the traction control which personally I always have set to sports or off if I'm having fun and you're ready to go.

I personally try and have the esc off if I'm going to launch but without the jb4 there wasn't much difference. With the jb4 the traction kicks in too easy in sports esc

Reactions: batch
You only need to set it up once then every time you stop it can be used. I'm lol'ing at you setting it up every time you stop, furiously stabbing buttons as the lights change ;)

TX.

Reactions: 4K, AudiNutta, SmileyS3 and 1 other person
You only need to set it up once then every time you stop it can be used. I'm lol'ing at you setting it up every time you stop, furiously stabbing buttons as the lights change ;)
TX.

Nah, I've just given up!

Reactions: AudiNutta

TX.

Yeah, I noticed this...very handy!

It's very quick to engage really.

As soon as I turn the car on, I turn off "stop/start" and turn on "recirculating air con button" car is always in dynamic so it's just a tap on the gearstick into S and then hit the traction button.

So, is there no difference between tapping traction control and holding it down longer?

One puts in in sport and holding it down turns off traction completely? Is there a difference in the Launch?
Mine is completely standard by the way.

I tried both when I was at Rockingham. Long press seemed to bog down a bit more vs short press imho.

TX.

Yeah, I noticed this...very handy!

It's very quick to engage really.

As soon as I turn the car on, I turn off "stop/start" and turn on "recirculating air con button" car is always in dynamic so it's just a tap on the gearstick into S and then hit the traction button.

So, is there no difference between tapping traction control and holding it down longer?

One puts in in sport and holding it down turns off traction completely? Is there a difference in the Launch?
Mine is completely standard by the way.

Curious why you recirculate the air con? If I have this on for more than a couple of minutes the car totally mists up!!

What about the issue with the car not really being in dynamic when it already is it when you turn the car on? Then you had to cycle through the different modes to make sure everything is in dynamic. Has this been solved?

What about the issue with the car not really being in dynamic when it already is it when you turn the car on? Then you had to cycle through the different modes to make sure everything is in dynamic. Has this been solved?

From what I've read on here it's designed to be that way.