S3 8V Launch Control use?

Yeah, I noticed this...very handy!

It's very quick to engage really.

As soon as I turn the car on, I turn off "stop/start" and turn on "recirculating air con button" car is always in dynamic so it's just a tap on the gearstick into S and then hit the traction button.

So, is there no difference between tapping traction control and holding it down longer?

One puts in in sport and holding it down turns off traction completely? Is there a difference in the Launch?
Mine is completely standard by the way.

I'm sure there is an auto-recirc option in the MMI

From what I've read on here it's designed to be that way.

Yes, Audi say it is for safety basically. Because one unassuming driver could get in the car and it be different to how they expect it to be, so it always reverts back to standard. Absolute codswollop, slightly increased throttle response isn't going to cause an accident.

I see. But does setting the gearbox in S override this and then everything will be in Dynamic as intended? Same as @SmileyS3 does?

No, sport mode on the gearbox just controls the gearbox alone. So your gearbox will be in its fastest, livliest setting while the car could still be in efficiency reacting like a disobedient child when you apply the throttle. Efficiency is horrendous, the throttle application required is awful and it very rarely gives you full power no matter how you drive it, which IMO is dangerous! You expect the car to get through a gap so quick, then you have a bit of a shock when it only pulls at half boost.

Reactions: TYb
No, sport mode on the gearbox just controls the gearbox alone. So your gearbox will be in its fastest, livliest setting while the car could still be in efficiency reacting like a disobedient child when you apply the throttle. Efficiency is horrendous, the throttle application required is awful and it very rarely gives you full power no matter how you drive it, which IMO is dangerous! You expect the car to get through a gap so quick, then you have a bit of a shock when it only pulls at half boost.

Jesus Christ on a bicycle... So all you guys have to cycle to Dynamic mode every time you enter the car?

Jesus Christ on a bicycle... So all you guys have to cycle to Dynamic mode every time you enter the car?
For full dynamic, yes. Because I bought the S3 to drive in efficiency

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.H and AudiNutta

What?! What kind of joke is that. Pff but good to know though :blink:

Anyone know if it's possible to code it? I know that my BMW can be coded to always start up in sport.

RS3 hasn't got "efficient" setting, S3 does though ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
RS3 hasn't got "efficient" setting, S3 does though ;)

TX.

I've only ever used efficiency twice, once to see why people hated it and it lasted a few minutes. Then when I had 10 miles range and 10 miles to the petrol station :lmfao:

My car goes into Individual every time I drive it, then if I decide to go for a high speed (70mph) run I put it into full dynamic because otherwise it is far too floaty by the time you reach higher speeds (71mph) ;)

But interestingly enough, the thing people dislike most is the freerolling feature.. all new diesel Audi's freewheel. A4 & A5 do it, whenever you take your foot off of the accelerator the gearbox drops out whatever mode you are in... all except for 'S' on the gearbox I think.

I'll often coast in neutral, same thing I guess. Why's that a problem?

TX.

Pretty sure someone said on the forum once that the warranty covers you up to 1,000 launches.

Reactions: SmileyS3
Pretty sure someone said on the forum once that the warranty covers you up to 1,000 launches.
Should last me till my warranty is up

Ah ok, I put it back in gear before I stop mostly so it does engine brake for the stop. Surprised you didn't know the RS3 doesn't have an efficiency setting though ;)

TX.

Curious why you recirculate the air con? If I have this on for more than a couple of minutes the car totally mists up!!
I always have it on recirculating because I don't like the idea of all the crap from everyone's exhausts...I did do the setting in the MMi but I don't really trust it cos it doesn't light up the button so I just have it as my buttons that I press after turning the ignition. (Turn egnition, press stop/start, press recirc...drive)

This sounds good to me! Ha!

Yes, Audi say it is for safety basically. Because one unassuming driver could get in the car and it be different to how they expect it to be, so it always reverts back to standard. Absolute codswollop, slightly increased throttle response isn't going to cause an accident.

Wait a ****** minute...I just get in the car and it says D...so I assumed it's in Dynamic just like I left it?
Are you guys telling me that for 2 years I've not actually been in full Dynamic?
I'm feeling a bit mind blown...someone please reply and clear this up for me?
I just get in the car and turn the ignition on, hit start/stop, hit recirc, hit door lock and drive off.
See some lights change to red up ahead...pull the gear lever into S and then hit traction control once stopped.

So, there is something even better? I am doing it wrong?
Do I need to select Dynamic by toggling through the button next to the traction button every time I turn on he ignition?

Wait a ****** minute...I just get in the car and it says D...so I assumed it's in Dynamic just like I left it?
Are you guys telling me that for 2 years I've not actually been in full Dynamic?
I'm feeling a bit mind blown...someone please reply and clear this up for me?
I just get in the car and turn the ignition on, hit start/stop, hit recirc, hit door lock and drive off.
See some lights change to red up ahead...pull the gear lever into S and then hit traction control once stopped.

So, there is something even better? I am doing it wrong?
Do I need to select Dynamic by toggling through the button next to the traction button every time I turn on he ignition?

Unfortunately for full dynamic you do, as confirmed by Audi.

Unfortunately for full dynamic you do, as confirmed by Audi.

Pick my S3 up in September, so whats the process to get the car fully into Dynamic? As in, as Dynamic as possible? And do I need to do it every time I start the car

Pick my S3 up in September, so whats the process to get the car fully into Dynamic? As in, as Dynamic as possible? And do I need to do it every time I start the car

Just cycle through the modes till you get back to dymanic

Was just testing a product we had in at work that was meant to be strong enough that a car could drive over it, so I thought I'd see if it was launch control safe

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Lehn, AL_B and 2 others
Was just testing a product we had in at work that was meant to be strong enough that a car could drive over it, so I thought I'd see if it was launch control safe

Yeah I think you wanna get a refund on that mate :D hahaha

Reactions: Lehn

You can really see the haldex doing it's thing in slow-motion :racer:

Reactions: azibux1
You can really see the haldex doing it's thing in slow-motion :racer:

Yes it looks really good, the front starts to pull the car forward until it hits the card case and then you can see the power go to the rear and it lights all 4 tyres up :)

Reactions: azibux1
Just to add to some comments above. I personally wouldn't start from cold in dynamic mode. I don't think the way it revs in dynamic is safe enough for an engine that hasn't got to 70~80c yet.

Just to add to some comments above. I personally wouldn't start from cold in dynamic mode. I don't think the way it revs in dynamic is safe enough for an engine that hasn't got to 70~80c yet.

I set dynamic and flick from sports to drive, the engine should be laboured as little as possible until 80c + oil temp, 6k in 2nd gear in sports mode is not a good idea lol

Reactions: batch
@SmileyS3 yep you've been doing it wrong the whole time! Just cycle through to dynamic every time you start the engine.

TX.

If anyones forgot, a direct lift out of the Audi handbook on LC for those of us with s-tronic GB's

jolSnXy.jpg

Wow, I have noticed a difference in throttle response. Been in Wales with family for last week so haven't had time to try it out much but I did Launch it once and it felt even better than before....can't believe I've been doing a toned down version all this time.

On another note, I saw 42.5mpg on the way home from Wales...and that was in Dynamic with stop/start off and aircon on with recirc.
Wowzers!

On another note, I saw 42.5mpg on the way home from Wales...and that was in Dynamic with stop/start off and aircon on with recirc.
Wowzers!

I had 47mpg the other week, albeit it in 50mph average speed cameras!