S3 8V Pre-Stage 2 Questions

Is going to Stage 2 from a Stage 1 worth it for a daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

MonkeyFiddler

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a Revo Stage 1 S3 and I'm looking to go to Stage 2.

I've been thinking about this for some time and the one thing I'm concerned about is the life of the engine post-upgrade. What are the chances the extra power is going to break something? I know people have taken theirs to 50oHP but I just need a bit of reassurance that everything is going to be fine.

I just met up with a garage today to get the car looked over and prices for the upgrade, he did say the engine looks in good condition but said the spark plugs will probably need replacing (as I couldn't remember the last time they were changed).
Here is the list of modifications he was going to do:
  1. Stage 2 remap
  2. Induction Kit
  3. Intercooler
  4. De-Cat
  5. Spark Plugs
  6. Oil Filter
  7. Oil Change (from 0w-30 to 10w-60)
  8. Diverter Valve (change from the plastic one to an all-metal one)
Which came to around £1900. Which blew me away as other garages were offering £2500+ just for 2,3 & 4

So if anyone has had any experience with a stage 2 s3 I'd love to know how you got on.

Thanks

Hi,

I've been thinking about this for some time and the one thing I'm concerned about is the life of the engine post-upgrade. What are the chances the extra power is going to break something? I know people have taken theirs to 50oHP but I just need a bit of reassurance that everything is going to be fine.

I just met up with a garage today to get the car looked over and prices for the upgrade, he did say the engine looks in good condition but said the spark plugs will probably need replacing (as I couldn't remember the last time they were changed).
  1. Stage 2 remap
  2. Induction Kit
  3. Intercooler
  4. De-Cat
  5. Spark Plugs
  6. Oil Filter
Which came to around £1900. Which blew me away as other garages were offering £2500+ just for 2,3 & 4

So if anyone has had any experience with a stage 2 s3 I'd love to know how you got on.

Thanks
Not had any experience of either stage 1 or 2 but just by chance I was chatting to an Audi tech. today about upgrading to stage 1.
He says he gets a few s3's in for service which have been chipped. If I go down that route I will need to keep an eye on the dsg oil and also the diff and haldex oil. Apparently the over fuelling that the ecu upgrade gives has a severe effect on the life of the dsg oil and he advised me to change oil at least every 2k or so. He says the haldex and diff work harder and so require regular oil changes. Don't get me wrong he wasn't plugging for trade it was just a simple conversation I was having with him while the wife's q3 was in for a software update. I'm still tempted to go stage 1 but have reservations over the potential wear and tare such an upgrade will cause. To be fair it's not bad advise.Regular oil changes has to be a good thing.
ps don't forget to clean the haldex pump filter as it's not done by Audi as part of haldex service.

I've had my Stage 1 for about a year now and haven't had any issues. But you bring up a good point about the haldex, that's something I've never thought about. They did mention I would need better engine oil as it would be running hotter but not the other oils.
I'll message the garage who will be doing the stage 2 and see what they say.

Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: pburv
I've had my Stage 1 for about a year now and haven't had any issues. But you bring up a good point about the haldex, that's something I've never thought about. They did mention I would need better engine oil as it would be running hotter but not the other oils.
I'll message the garage who will be doing the stage 2 and see what they say.

Thanks for your feedback
no probs mate. Glad to be of some help:icon thumright:

I’ve been Revo stage 2 for some time and is fabulous. The bolt ins are up to you what manufacture you go for but I always say quality over quantity. 100% Wagner cooler RS7 plugs, Millers oil, mines been fine with the OEM diverter valve.

Hi,

1. Stage 2 remap
  2. Induction Kit
  3. Intercooler
  4. De-Cat
  5. Spark Plugs
  6. Oil Filter

Thanks

Any engine mods, especially when at stage 2 is going to add wear and tear to an engine, above that of a standard engine. What BHP figure did advise you'll get?

I think the regular oil changes are wise if running big BHP figures. I used to change oil every 6 months or 6000 miles when running a tuned Subaru, but don't bother with the S3.

As for it being a daily driver? Will the greater bhp be used on your daily commute? Is it a long or short drive to work? Personally if you're running big BHP, why not use it on weekends where you can get out and enjoy the extra power? Chugging to work and back is never fun. If it was me, I'd get a second car for the commute and keep the S3 for weekends.

Reactions: N.J.H