S3 8V, thermostat housing location

8obMor

Reaction score
Believe my thermostat housing is leaking coolant and have read about the housing issues on some models. Looking have a look at mine before taking it to Audi to just make sure that’s what it is.

Currently topping up coolant at a rate of 3x per year.

Extended warranty runs out mid next month so looking to have the issue sorted before then.

Thanks Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m I right in thinking the thermostat is located under the intake at the front of the engine ?

It's one unit with the water pump, next to the alternator. The early model water pump is plastic and later metal, best to replace the whole thing as a whole. When mine was leaking, it was the thermostat, water pump but the plastic Y connector was the worst...

I just replaced mine on my A3 1.8 TFSI, basically identical to the S3 in terms of components and location.

The thermostat housing resides immediately under the intake manifold and the belt driven water pump is attached to the right side of the thermostat (as you are facing the engine from the front of the vehicle). It is not easy to see a leak from the thermostat or pump as it usually happens only when the system is under pressure, plus that area has a lot of pipes, intake tube, throttle body, brackets blocking your view.

If you take off your lower engine cover and see where most of the drips have fallen, you will be able to roughly determine if the leak is at the front of the engine or not. Front of engine "usually" points to the thermostat housing or the water pump, so you have direction from there on.

Perfect thanks for the info. Will remove the engine tray this afternoon after work and have a good look.

Had a look at the car this evening, and would appear that there is a very small leak coming from what looks like the thermostat housing and the engine block.

Booked into Audi now. Glad I caught that before the warranty ran out

Thanks for the help lads.