S3 8V, Thick White Smoke

DanB90

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2016 S3, 3 door STronic.

Twice now, once this morning and once 6 weeks ago yesterday in the evening, my car has let out a very large thick white cloud of smoke for about 4-5seconds. During this time it is also relatively limp.

The scenario for both times (except air temperature) have been the same. It's happened at the exact same stretch of road. Pulled off a dual carriageway, stopped at lights, nailed it once green because it's a very short stretch of road so can't get carried away at all.

In gear 3, at high revs it's just let out this cloud of smoke which basically covers the entire road. After 5 seconds, absolutely fine and not smoking.

My thoughts are turbo or a gasket going? Looking under the bonnet, all seems ok. No fluids lost, no oil lost, no contaminated oil etc. I had a major service last week at Audi who flagged no problems.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Had the car for 3 years, would be a shame to get a nasty surprise, and would also be a shame to get rid of it.

Thanks!

white smoke usually indicates the head gasket is gone or going - water vapour... but then you would have it more frequently I guess

blue smoke is oil mixing with fuel

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

It would be worth getting the coolant tested for the presence of hydrocarbons. Many garages can do this pretty quickly with a testing kit. It's weird being very intermittant with no obvious loss of coolant (so far). But it does sound as if somehow its vaporized a load of coolant.

Hi All,

I have a 2016 S3, 3 door STronic.

Twice now, once this morning and once 6 weeks ago yesterday in the evening, my car has let out a very large thick white cloud of smoke for about 4-5seconds. During this time it is also relatively limp.

The scenario for both times (except air temperature) have been the same. It's happened at the exact same stretch of road. Pulled off a dual carriageway, stopped at lights, nailed it once green because it's a very short stretch of road so can't get carried away at all.

In gear 3, at high revs it's just let out this cloud of smoke which basically covers the entire road. After 5 seconds, absolutely fine and not smoking.

My thoughts are turbo or a gasket going? Looking under the bonnet, all seems ok. No fluids lost, no oil lost, no contaminated oil etc. I had a major service last week at Audi who flagged no problems.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Had the car for 3 years, would be a shame to get a nasty surprise, and would also be a shame to get rid of it.

Thanks!
Hi Dan,

I know its an old post, but was hoping you could tell me what the issue was on your S3.

I have the same S3, and i have had the exact identical problem. accelerated hard and a few hundred meters further a huge cloud of thick white smoke came out the exhaust. Engine was still running fine, however i stopped the car immediately and switched it off.

Took the turbo off to have it checked.

Maybe if you could tell me what was the case on yours, that would help a lot