S3 8Y Saloon Space Saver

DRSS3 Saloon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I have an Audi S3 Vorsprung Saloon on order in Tango Red with red brake callipers and I need to call for information already.

Apologies if this has already been covered. Could not find anything on this anywhere.

I have ordered a space saver spare wheel with my on order S3 Saloon Vorsprung because it has saved me a couple of times in my current Cupra 290.

I understand that the Quattro system takes up space in the boot compared to a non quattro A3. Is there room in the boot space for the space saver wheel under the carpeted boot liner/base? I have seen some pics from models in mainland Europe where it looks more or less flat forcing the space saver to be placed in the boot on top of the liner. (See pic below) (Obviously taking up space in the main part of the boot).

I imagine there might be a two height boot bottom to accommodate the space saver if you have one, but just guessing.

Would room for the space saver be the same in the Sportback and Saloon versions of the S3 8Y? I would normally look at a model in a showroom but there are none available anywhere near me.

Thank you

Hi Everyone.

I have an Audi S3 Vorsprung Saloon on order in Tango Red with red brake callipers and I need to call for information already.

Apologies if this has already been covered. Could not find anything on this anywhere.

I have ordered a space saver spare wheel with my on order S3 Saloon Vorsprung because it has saved me a couple of times in my current Cupra 290.

I understand that the Quattro system takes up space in the boot compared to a non quattro A3. Is there room in the boot space for the space saver wheel under the carpeted boot liner/base? I have seen some pics from models in mainland Europe where it looks more or less flat forcing the space saver to be placed in the boot on top of the liner. (See pic below) (Obviously taking up space in the main part of the boot).

I imagine there might be a two height boot bottom to accommodate the space saver if you have one, but just guessing.

Would room for the space saver be the same in the Sportback and Saloon versions of the S3 8Y? I would normally look at a model in a showroom but there are none available anywhere near me.

Thank you

View attachment 248299
I have the space saver in my sportback and it's under the boot liner - On the previous model they used to put the sub woofer inside the spare wheel but that's on the side now - Because of the quattro you don't get the 2 height option just set at the highest so the boot isn't that deep

I have the space saver in my sportback and it's under the boot liner - On the previous model they used to put the sub woofer inside the spare wheel but that's on the side now - Because of the quattro you don't get the 2 height option just set at the highest so the boot isn't that deep
Great. Thought this was the case. Just didn't want the space saver rattling about in the back of the boot if there was no place for it. A spacesaver came with my Cupra. I was panicking they didnt include it because there was no space for it and I would be forced to use that tyre gunk to seal the puncture.

Thank you

I recently bought an A3 Edition 1, 1 year old, low mileage, 19” wheels. One of my concerns was the lack of a space-saver spare wheel. The estimate from Audi for a space-saver wheel was well over £550!
I bought an 18” space-saver online from The Wheel Shop, along with tool kit, bolt and a carry-case for the brace and Jack - total about £180. The only awkward part was removing the styrofoam tray that holds the compressor and sealant can, which projects into the wheel bay. It is held in place by a curious bolt with three slots - we removed it with a long-nose pliers, and the space-saver wheel and tools fit easily under the hatchback floor.
I feel much happier knowing I have a spare wheel if the need arises!

I recently bought an A3 Edition 1, 1 year old, low mileage, 19” wheels. One of my concerns was the lack of a space-saver spare wheel. The estimate from Audi for a space-saver wheel was well over £550!
I bought an 18” space-saver online from The Wheel Shop, along with tool kit, bolt and a carry-case for the brace and Jack - total about £180. The only awkward part was removing the styrofoam tray that holds the compressor and sealant can, which projects into the wheel bay. It is held in place by a curious bolt with three slots - we removed it with a long-nose pliers, and the space-saver wheel and tools fit easily under the hatchback floor.
I ordered mine with the car so it's £150 including Jack and Tool kit but obviously they're not supplying the Tyre Seal and Processor hence the price - £550 for a steel wheel, tyre and jack set does seem rather high though even by Audi standards

Good work for getting it at that price

Hi,
I have the same car as you please can you check the links and let me know If I have ordered the right items and if there is anything else I need?

Thanks

Yes - that looks fine. I will check the item code numbers as soon as I can. I paid a bit extra for “Express Delivery” and it turned up 2 days after I placed my order.
Did you see my comment about removing the styrofoam tray to get the space saver in position - that was the most difficult part!

Reactions: chevy117
Hi,
I have the same car as you please can you check the links and let me know If I have ordered the right items and if there is anything else I need?

Thanks
Hi chevy117
I have now checked the part numbers for the wheel and bolt, and they agree with the numbers on my invoice.

Just adding a bit here for any future readers as I too had to enquire about this for my 2021 A3 Sportback which I didn't spec the space saver wheel on and needed it recently (long story).
Got a quote from my local Audi dealership for £200 for the boot foam x2, screw clamp, steel rim, and toolkit. Then they were going to have to source the tyre from somewhere else as the Continental sContact are not typical tyres and pretty much every place I asked said it was a main dealer thing. That came in at an additional £130.
Anyhow, I just called up to go for it and as it goes, the chap I spoke to said he had another similar enquiry a few days after me and then when speaking to Audi as a result, they have now put out a bulletin saying spare tyres cannot be sold for cars which didn't spec the option as it would violate some rules. A bit of a pain but I think I'll be going for the same option as above!

I've just bought a 2022 S3 8Y sportback and I asked my local Audi dealer (JCT600 in Boston) if I could order a spacesaver wheel - they said that yes they could order one @ £237 but the part number was greyed out and so if they did order one for me they wouldn't be able to take it back if it didn't fit under the boot floor. They couldn't tell me the diameter and thickness of the wheel & tyre so I'm reluctant to buy one in case it won't allow the boot floor to sit down properly. I've measured the diameter of the spare wheel well at 630 mm at the deepest part and the depth from the bottom of the well to the underside of the boot floor is 140mm. Has anyone bought an Audi wheel & if so, could I have the dimensions please?
I would have bought one of the ones from The Wheel Shop mentioned by AJH48 but they're out of stock. My only other option is a 125 70 R18 from Road Hero @ £220 from Tyremen in Hull but they told me that the diameter of the tyre is 25.5" (648)mm which means that it wouldn't quite sit in the bottom of the well. Thickness would be OK as it's 5.3" (135mm) if it sat in the bottom of the well but would be >140 mm if it didn't!!
Any help/suggestions gratefully received
Well diameter

Attachments

• well depth.jpg
    well depth.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 195
I would say that the Audi one would fit ok as they should all be the same outer diameter its only the alloy diameter that changes with a different profile tyre.
The other one you mentioned, are you taking into account the radius of the tyre side wall? they are not perfectly square, can you not try that one and see if it fits? and if not dont buy it.
Also worth checking ebay thing there are some on there being dismantled they may have a space saver.

I would say that the Audi one would fit ok as they should all be the same outer diameter its only the alloy diameter that changes with a different profile tyre.
The other one you mentioned, are you taking into account the radius of the tyre side wall? they are not perfectly square, can you not try that one and see if it fits? and if not dont buy it.
Also worth checking ebay thing there are some on there being dismantled they may have a space saver.
Thanks - yes I had thought about the radius of the side wall but didn't want to trek all the way up to Hull just to try it. Kwik Fit also offer the Road Hero wheel but at £262.20 but they state "wheel well fitment is not guaranteed". Have subsequently spoken to another Audi dealer who says the £237 on is definitely the correct one so I've ordered one from them

I've just bought a 2022 S3 8Y sportback and I asked my local Audi dealer (JCT600 in Boston) if I could order a spacesaver wheel - they said that yes they could order one @ £237 but the part number was greyed out and so if they did order one for me they wouldn't be able to take it back if it didn't fit under the boot floor. They couldn't tell me the diameter and thickness of the wheel & tyre so I'm reluctant to buy one in case it won't allow the boot floor to sit down properly. I've measured the diameter of the spare wheel well at 630 mm at the deepest part and the depth from the bottom of the well to the underside of the boot floor is 140mm. Has anyone bought an Audi wheel & if so, could I have the dimensions please?
I would have bought one of the ones from The Wheel Shop mentioned by AJH48 but they're out of stock. My only other option is a 125 70 R18 from Road Hero @ £220 from Tyremen in Hull but they told me that the diameter of the tyre is 25.5" (648)mm which means that it wouldn't quite sit in the bottom of the well. Thickness would be OK as it's 5.3" (135mm) if it sat in the bottom of the well but would be >140 mm if it didn't!!
Any help/suggestions gratefully receivedView attachment 257115
You need a T 125\70 R18 tyre - wheel measures approx 25” by 5”. Don’t forget to also order the locking “nut and bolt” - they arent expensive
FBB5B388 609E 4FD1 9BF9 CD21DF392D26
0D8822A9 FC4B 4D88 BF7F BC44E4D9FD2A

You need a T 125\70 R18 tyre - wheel measures approx 25” by 5”. Don’t forget to also order the locking “nut and bolt” - they arent expensiveView attachment 257246View attachment 257247
Yes the dealer reminded of the locking mechanism so I've ordered one of those as well. Just noticed that unsurprisingly there's no jack in the space for one in the foam insert which holds the "repair kit" so I'll see how much they are & if too much I guess a scissor jack from e.g. Halfords would be adequate,

Yes the dealer reminded of the locking mechanism so I've ordered one of those as well. Just noticed that unsurprisingly there's no jack in the space for one in the foam insert which holds the "repair kit" so I'll see how much they are & if too much I guess a scissor jack from e.g. Halfords would be adequate,
Jack from Audi is £86 so Halfords here I come!

Does any one have the jack part No for the 8y and is it a different one to the 8v and would the 8v jack be ok for the 8y thanks
Audi dealers won’t give out the part numbers, but I did manage to get them off another member with a factory order spare wheel and jack.
I’ll attach some photos, beware though when you order from the dealership they ask you to sign and take full responsibility for using a non factory ordered item.
Ps the jack handle comes separately to the jack don’t forget to order at same time.
Also the spare wheel of a VW t-roc is the same as the A3 s-line.

Attachments

• 15E9C02A-AB2C-49DD-A6FA-38246B85E25E.jpeg
    15E9C02A-AB2C-49DD-A6FA-38246B85E25E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 246
  • 1A3CB994-93D1-440E-BC31-535578DE6560.jpeg
    1A3CB994-93D1-440E-BC31-535578DE6560.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 210
  • 126AC0E0-6F81-49B3-BE68-27AE41E733BD.jpeg
    126AC0E0-6F81-49B3-BE68-27AE41E733BD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 807FD7E0-FEDF-427A-B7B3-8C2854233CC6.jpeg
    807FD7E0-FEDF-427A-B7B3-8C2854233CC6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
Hi, DO you have a part number for the hold down nut and bolt please? I can't quite read it as the photo is too lower resolution.

Hi has anyone added the sapce saver wheel to the 8Y S3 Saloon/Sedan, yet ? i have the wheel, jack and centre screw/nut tie down, but not sure how to deal with the now raised carpeted board that now doesnt sit flat.

I think there may have been an option for fitting the floor higher to allow for the spare wheel. Mine just got a fixed setting so that's of no help, sorry.