S3 and speedbumps? Weird traction control intervention.

DommyR

Reaction score
Hello All.

Had my S3 for nearly a year now and I must say I'm thrilled with it, perfect all round hatch back (for me).

Although I just have a weird query with it, this may not be directly S3 related if not Haldex related.

When I drive over a speed bump and put my foot down (slightly harder than usual) the traction control light flickers and stops the car accelerating. This is when I accelerate after the whole car is off the speed bump. Other factors; 3rd gear, doing about 25mph.

Ive noticed this before but never thought anything of it as I thought it was due to a slippery road.

My thought's that it could be that the front wheels are doing a different speed to the rear wheels.

Not an issue but just wondrous to whats causing it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dom

Hello All.

Had my S3 for nearly a year now and I must say I'm thrilled with it, perfect all round hatch back (for me).

Although I just have a weird query with it, this may not be directly S3 related if not Haldex related.

When I drive over a speed bump and put my foot down (slightly harder than usual) the traction control light flickers and stops the car accelerating. This is when I accelerate after the whole car is off the speed bump. Other factors; 3rd gear, doing about 25mph.

Ive noticed this before but never thought anything of it as I thought it was due to a slippery road.

My thought's that it could be that the front wheels are doing a different speed to the rear wheels.

Not an issue but just wondrous to whats causing it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dom

Certainly been over plenty of speed bumps lately, particularly this morning thanks to a road closure and detour but can't say I've noticed this.

Pound to a penny V8 will know the answer though! ;)

check your tyre pressures

Check your tyre pressures
Poss a loose ABS sensor causing it to think there is wheel spin
Or there really is a traction issue, and your Haldex has packed up, so the front wheels are spinning and the TC is cutting in.

Sounds normal to me, I can even induce the same in my car. One thing that is poor about the A3 is the front end traction compared to other, and more powerful, cars I've driven.

Sounds normal to me, I can even induce the same in my car. One thing that is poor about the A3 is the front end traction compared to other, and more powerful, cars I've driven.

May have a bit to do with Audi using an open front diff,and the way their TC works,as it is very intrusive.

Wait. The OP has a S3.

While it may happen with a FWD car, it shouldn't happen with a AWD S3 (in a straight line) !!

(unless those particular speed bumps cause the rears to bounce and hence all traction is lost)

Last edited:
Reactions: S3Alex
Wait. The OP has a S3.

While it may happen with a FWD car, it shouldn't happen with a AWD S3 (in a straight line) !!

(unless those particular speed bumps cause the rears to bounce and hence all traction is lost)

Not for me to say!...I don't know in this case,but who knows what goes on inside the TC brain...!

I've had it once or twice when I've forgot to turn the traction control to sport of off. Didn't notice any drop in power just saw the light flicker on the dash

This happens a lot to mine also, we have huge speed bumps on the way to work (Dublin). I assumed it was a traction thing or the fact that as you go over the bump the front wheels have further, only slightly mind, to travel than the rears...???

Wait. The OP has a S3.

Yeah I know, but the bias is towards a front wheel drive car so wouldn't that make the difference seeing as, for a AWD, it understeers like a FWD as well..

Have huge speed bumps between home and work, can't take them at anything over 5-6mph. Traction control light comes on almost everytime when the front of the car dips down the other side and begins to level out, while the rear is at its highest travel point. Always seemed odd to me, haven't seen it illuminate at anything under 5mph either..

This happened regularly in both of my S3's.

Must be a combination of bouncy rear S3 suspension and Haldex being a part time AWD system then !