S3 anti-roll bars....

Muzza80

Reaction score
So looking at ARB's...

On previous 300+ bhp FWD cars it was advantageous to uprate the rear roll bar for a fatter one, a very cheap way to really improve the under-steering tendencies of the Astra VXR and Focus ST.

I gather the H&R kit is the most popular for the S3 8P but only comes as a pair but what really struck me as odd was that the front ARB is fatter than the rear with the H&R kit.

Is it not the same on the S3 Quattro that uprating the rear ARB only for a heavier duty one would improve the understeering tendancies of the stock chassis/suspension setup?

Anyone more knowledgeable than me mind explaining why this might be the case?

Cheers!

Reactions: Ben2487
Without knowing the technical stuff, I'll tell you what I know.

Whiteline anti lift kit will sort 99% of your understeer out, and has been proven countlessly.

The rear ARB is also a great mod, whiteline do one individually if I remember rightly.

Muzza... Turbonutz has the H&R kit fitted... He has just got his car taken to stage 3 aswell so I was out test driving it at the wkend... I've drove his car before that though and what a difference the ARB's make, corners so flat and just feels that much a stiffer ride all round... By comparison when jumping back in my car it felt as if it cornered like a double decker bus compared to his... Well worth the investment if your looking to improve the handling

Reactions: Muzza80
Muzza... Turbonutz has the H&R kit fitted... He has just got his car taken to stage 3 aswell so I was out test driving it at the wkend... I've drove his car before that though and what a difference the ARB's make, corners so flat and just feels that much a stiffer ride all round... By comparison when jumping back in my car it felt as if it cornered like a double decker bus compared to his... Well worth the investment if your looking to improve the handling

Hi mate, yeah I know what a difference they can make as I've had them on every car I've owned and have always been extremely impressed.

That said, I'm still confused as to why you would fit a fatter front ARB (as per the H&R kit) on what essentially is a FWD car (90% of the time) that under-steers by it's very nature, I'm just wondering if I'd missed a fundamental point, something unique with the chassis or drivetrain that H&R seen fit to offer their setup as they do...?

I uprated both the ARB's on my Scooby with great effect but that's an a full time AWD car with zero understeer.

I also uprated just the rear ARB for the Whiteline 24mm on my Focus ST along with a Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit, cranked it on to the hardest setting, great on the road but I got the shock of my life on a soaking wet Nurburgring, the car was sliding all over the place as it was simply too stiff at the rear for the conditions, I had to loosen it right off there and then in the ring car pack.

I'm not a huge fan of the Whiteline ARBS as the coating on them is so poor, not up to the weather and road salt we get here in the UK, I'd probably get it blasted and powdercoated before fitting though if that's the only offering for a RARB on it's own.

I'll defo look into their ALK though, just read a review on another forum and it sounds like it may be a big part of the solution in looking for.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean mate... Im pretty sure that Audi just developed the S3 has a slightly faster comfort cruiser than an all out hot hatch... Thats why i'm sure that the handling was a bit of an after thought with them...

All that is way above my head tho, when it comes to track munching i'm a relative noob... I've only really ever had cars based on how they look and drive in a straight line haha... Learning as I go Muzza

the haldex kicks in when cornering when hitting it hard, hence why h&r (one of most rated firms) offer front and rear, both offering 2 settings(hard and soft) thoi installed one at a time and had rear for a week before it and had alot of tail whip which was quite fun but must have been confusing for the car? alot of the hardcore people modding the cars also change the haldex i think to get it more 4wd focused? depends on how you want your driving style to be i suppose.

side note BOTH front and rear H&R arbs are alot heavier duty than stock ones i was surprised at weight and thickness was like holding a pipe then holding a rod

I know exactly what you mean mate... Im pretty sure that Audi just developed the S3 has a slightly faster comfort cruiser than an all out hot hatch... Thats why i'm sure that the handling was a bit of an after thought with them...

All that is way above my head tho, when it comes to track munching i'm a relative noob... I've only really ever had cars based on how they look and drive in a straight line haha... Learning as I go Muzza

I agree, at the end of the day it's a sporty road car and they cater for the masses, they have had to compromise as they simply wouldn't sell as many if they were extreme about handling.

There's a fine balance to be had and as 95% of my driving is on the road and any changes to the car need to retain good road handling and comfort characteristics. I'm not convinced (in fact I know) that for me it's does not call for coilovers ect.

Just looking to dial out a bit of the factory "mass market" traits and improve on what I actually already consider to be a very decent handling car most of the time. So uprated RARB, ALK, Eibach pro-kit springs, some Bilstein B8 dampers & a proper 4 wheel geometry setup is probably looking like the way forward I think.

Yeah Muzza that sounds about right...

Is there any particular reason why your going for the Eibach spring kit over the H&R springs?

I've purchased the H&R springs this time as I had Eibachs on my old Sline quattro and found the ride extremely harsh... I'm actually in 2 minds about fitting my springs as that was one of the main things I noticed about jumping into the S3 from the A3, the vast improvement in ride comfort... Put me off buying springs... But i'm a bit like yourself, just want to improve a few of the bits that were lacking from factory... And there is always the looks improvement aswell..

As I said on my thread Jacko, my Eibach kit seems to have actually improved the ride quality on mine... Feels less crashy on the rebound end, personally it feels like the Pro-Kit springs are better suited to the stiffer damping of the S3 shocks. The arch gap is so big as standard that maybe the original springs are too long! Haha.

I am looking at uprating the ARB's and also don't know what springs to get as I had H&R springs on my polo GTI 2007 and it was sooooooooo crashy and that has kind of put me off, I know the S3 is a totally different car but it's just put me off, need to go in one with them fitted to find out I suppose. But as mjr901 said the anti lift kit is a must and I'm going to get one ASAP.

We did a lot of work on mine in trying to get rid of the understeer.

First was to uprate the ARBs,and that does make quite a difference,but there's a lot more to do,as you have a fairly heavy car,with the engine well forwards,and that makes removing understeer quite difficult.

Next was a kW v3 coilover setup....again a big help,but adding the Haldex controller helps again.

However....a trackday showed there were still significant problems,so off came the Kw v3 gear,to be replaced by the Clubsport setup,which is not only harder,but has linear springs,and that,coupled with wider(245 section) tyres on 9" rims has removed most of what remains,and the Quaife diff has eliminated much of the squirming from the front end under load.

We also replaced all of the bushes and fitted the Superpro ALK and TCA kit.

None of these alone are a cure to be honest but all are worthwhile,perhaps with the exception of the Haldex controller,which I'd leave until last.

So,what I think that lot shows is that you can cure a lot of the S3's handling issuses,but they are fairily deep rooted,and cost a fair bit to get rid of.

Reactions: e9_mustii and Ben2487
We did a lot of work on mine in trying to get rid of the understeer.

First was to uprate the ARBs,and that does make quite a difference,but there's a lot more to do,as you have a fairly heavy car,with the engine well forwards,and that makes removing understeer quite difficult.

Next was a kW v3 coilover setup....again a big help,but adding the Haldex controller helps again.

However....a trackday showed there were still significant problems,so off came the Kw v3 gear,to be replaced by the Clubsport setup,which is not only harder,but has linear springs,and that,coupled with wider(245 section) tyres on 9" rims has removed most of what remains,and the Quaife diff has eliminated much of the squirming from the front end under load.

We also replaced all of the bushes and fitted the Superpro ALK and TCA kit.

None of these alone are a cure to be honest but all are worthwhile,perhaps with the exception of the Haldex controller,which I'd leave until last.

So,what I think that lot shows is that you can cure a lot of the S3's handling issuses,but they are fairily deep rooted,and cost a fair bit to get rid of.
Hey alex i know this is a couple years back and i am a new member of a new(to me) s3 2011 3-door, was just looking into way to gain more stability at speed and eventually prep for track days. And you being the person with probably the most hardcore s3 would you still recommend the ALK and ARBs u mention earlier or have you changed your setup since then as i was also looking at kw v3's for coilovers

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think S3 alex has gone now e9, haven't seen him here for months. The poor old 8p is of an age now where a lot of people have moved on, i have had mine from new, i would think thats pretty unusual.

Reactions: e9_mustii
I think S3 alex has gone now e9, haven't seen him here for months. The poor old 8p is of an age now where a lot of people have moved on, i have had mine from new, i would think thats pretty unusual.
Dang was worth a try lol :(

Same here
And wouldn't swap it for anything.

I have ST-X coil-overs, Whiteline Antilift Kit and H&R arbs. At the speed limit I think the car handles like it’s on rails. Push it a little more and the understeer is evident - scarily so. Maybe this is just my setup.

I have ST-X coil-overs, Whiteline Antilift Kit and H&R arbs. At the speed limit I think the car handles like it’s on rails. Push it a little more and the understeer is evident - scarily so. Maybe this is just my setup.
The aim here is to be doing 100+ on rails, in mexico ofcourse