S3 blue smoke after over run

Paul Wilson

Reaction score
’ve been trawling through lots of threads and I’m stilll none the wiser of what I should do so I’m hoping someone on here can help me. I bought a S3 2007 stage 1 decatted 3 months ago which is burning oil mostly after a over run but only when hot. I’ve had a compression and blow by test which has came back ok. The turbo has been off and checked too. The garage seems to think the engine isn’t breathing properly (pcv already changed) and that’s how the oil is getting in. There is oily residue from the turbo inlet breather. I’ve been looking at a pcv delete and was wondering if there is any sort of modified can do to the turbo inlet breather. I’m really unsure what’s best to do to solve this. Any help would be much appreciated, if I wasn’t bald I’d be tearing my hair out over this.

Could be valve guides! Throttle closed and the pistons are pulling from wherever and down the valve guides is the usual option.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I’m guessing the head will need to come off to do them?

Thanks for your reply.

I’m guessing the head will need to come off to do them?

Oh yes, if the guides are worn and need replacing then yes.

However, unless you are using excessive amount of oil I wouldn't worry as a degree of upper cylinder lubrication is no bad thing; and as you say "I’ve had a compression and blow by test which has come back ok."