S3 brake pads

julians

Reaction score
Ok, so does anyone have any experience of using non standard brake pads in their s3 ,I'm looking for some that can take the extra heat generated on a track without crumbling , but that also work well on the road without requiring heating up first.

options look to be Mintex 1144 or 1155, I've tried the 1155 in my caterham, but they felt really wooden , but they might work fine in an s3.

alternatively theres EBC red stuff or yellow stuff. Any others?

Do Pagid do them for the S3? Blues would be a good compromise for fast road/occasional track use, or even Greys or Yellows if you drive particularly hard ;) . I used to use Yellows on my 300bhp Fiat Coupe and they were great on track and reasonable on the road. Not sure about on a S3 though...

EBC Red Stuff always had a good write up from other Coupe owners, so may be worth a try, and certainly will be cheaper than Pagid!

Phil

yeah, I should have mentioned in my original post that I had a look on the pagid website, but they dont appear to do much for the front calipers on the s3.

Where did you find the Mintex and/or EBCs for sale, as I can't seem to find any, even on their own websites :( ?

Phil

Hi mate.

I jsut ordered some mintex pads to go along my oem discs (I'm putting S3/r32 brakes on my derv).

I've not put them on but my uncle had them on his 410bhp Evo Viii and with blake diamond discs, they were really good and i had them on my Golf with mintex discs and pads all round, front and back. Top notch on the Golf too...

I took them on the snake pass to get to sheffield and i think overheated towards the end and the pedal went a bit soft but apart frm that, they were good. I Dont remember ever heating them up before using them and i felt really confident with using them (braking late etc.)

I thought I'd try mintex pads on my R32 calipers as they were £36 posted and OEM pads were £60+Vat. Couldnt really go wrong and either way, they were going to be better than my 288m set up!

HTH

PS. And my mates got them on his Mk4 R32 and he says they're really good too.

I used EBC redstuff on my old 8L S3 and if you dont want a pad that requires warming up first then dont get these!!!

Scared myself quite a few times on the way to work as they had no bite at all until warm!!

I found EBC at https://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=R248DP31946CR&a=i and they're cheaper than Performance Brakes ;) . Green Stuff would be no good on such a powerful car (trust me, I tried them on my old Coupe :sadlike:!), so it would have to be Red or Yellow, but as JamS3 says, warming may be an issue...

Oh well, think I'll just stick with the standard ones for the moment, as they seem to be good enough for Fast Road use anyway :yes:.

Phil