S3 Brake Upgrade

i hear tarox is pretty gd and has enough wheel clear (caliper wise)

Thanks Sevv....I've been looking at the tarox 6-pots....it was either that or go Brembo 4 pots....but these are a bit old hat.

Its a little vauge... you looking for std replacements I assume? not big brakes?

Front pads... DS2500's
Front Discs... EBC Optimax, Black Diamond grooved
Fluid... Motul RBF 660

Rear pads.... std (Pagid or similar)
Rear discs... std.. anything you want... (I use VTech cheapies)

If you want bigger brakes then look in the stickies as there is an FAQ thread with all the info you could ask for...

<tuffty/>

Big brakes....sorry, I was being lazy with my words

the tarox pads are DS2500 if not mistaken just different naming , and better value for money and have a gd reputation, ive asked people arround and the tarox caliper is pretty gd and its not 4 but 6 pistons unlike the Brembo's and its different i suppose. however my question to Tuffy is if he would recomment the Tarox 6 pots, as im thinking of buying the calipers myself (sorry for hijacking thread)

the tarox pads are DS2500 if not mistaken just different naming , and better value for money and have a gd reputation, ive asked people arround and the tarox caliper is pretty gd and its not 4 but 6 pistons unlike the Brembo's and its different i suppose. however my question to Tuffy is if he would recomment the Tarox 6 pots, as im thinking of buying the calipers myself (sorry for hijacking thread)

DS2500 maybe a designation for the type of pad... I don't know about Tarox particularly but I was referring to Ferodo pads... I have had experience of these both on std S3 brakes and my current 4pot AP Racing setup and know them to be good...

I have no experience of the Tarox calipers so can't comment but the multi grooved discs (IMO) aren't fantastic... the machined grooves are prone to cracking and eating pads...

6 pots could be considered overkill tbh and you would get better value from a more traditional Brembo Jnr setup with 323mm discs...

Depends what it is you want but consumables are easier on the pocket (£100 ish for a pair of DS2500 pads and £180 ish for a pair of decent 323mm discs) vs whatever the hell Tarox fancy charging for 6 pot pads and the 2 piece rotors (£150 and up each typically)

<tuffty/>

Nothing wrong with LCR / Jnr GT 323's at all, and hardly old hat.

a 4 pot caliper is just that, a caliper with 4 pistons, 4 or 6 makes no odds really, it's all about having it correctly sized with the master cylinder to give the right balance of stopping power and pedal feel. there is of course the mono block / 2 part argument, and weight to consider, but the difference in these areas is hardly measurable.

being an OEM fit caliper, the LCR brembos are perfect in this respect, and provide brilliant stopping power and great pedal feel. Some bigger calipers will provide good power, but with an awful soft feel. Go too far the other way in the case of Porsche 996 rears, and you get poor stopping power, and rock hard wooden pedal.

It's not about bigger being better always, it's about choosing the right task for the job. you wouldn't use the anchor from the QE2 to stop your car rolling down a hill.....

it's far more about pad / disc choice to be honest.

I've currently got LCR 323mm brembos on my track car and Porsche 996 front Monoblock calipers with 330 discs on my daily. When using track pads, both setups perform exactly the same. Currently using track pads in the LCR 323's and ATE fast road porsche pads in the 996 brakes, and the LCR 323's absolutely wipe the floor with the bigger, technically better porsche brakes.

Nothing wrong with LCR / Jnr GT 323's at all, and hardly old hat.

a 4 pot caliper is just that, a caliper with 4 pistons, 4 or 6 makes no odds really, it's all about having it correctly sized with the master cylinder to give the right balance of stopping power and pedal feel. there is of course the mono block / 2 part argument, and weight to consider, but the difference in these areas is hardly measurable.

being an OEM fit caliper, the LCR brembos are perfect in this respect, and provide brilliant stopping power and great pedal feel. Some bigger calipers will provide good power, but with an awful soft feel. Go too far the other way in the case of Porsche 996 rears, and you get poor stopping power, and rock hard wooden pedal.

It's not about bigger being better always, it's about choosing the right task for the job. you wouldn't use the anchor from the QE2 to stop your car rolling down a hill.....

it's far more about pad / disc choice to be honest.

I've currently got LCR 323mm brembos on my track car and Porsche 996 front Monoblock calipers with 330 discs on my daily. When using track pads, both setups perform exactly the same. Currently using track pads in the LCR 323's and ATE fast road porsche pads in the 996 brakes, and the LCR 323's absolutely wipe the floor with the bigger, technically better porsche brakes.

Prawn has it spot on and it all depends on application or cash flow.

I have the 4-pot lcr brembo set up and they really do allow you to drive with unbelievable confidence.

Despite extra weight, the stopping power is noticeably better than even uprated pads/discs and, in my opinion, far better when put under longer periods of enthusiastic driving.

However, as mentioned in this thread and above, you can achieve great results with far less cash outlay. It depends on how much you have to spend, how much you want to spend and what you are intending to do with the vehicle.

Sorry for hijackign the thread, i just really didnt want to start a new one. ive been also looking at the Brembo GT's front setup however would they fit under the 17inch std Avus wheels ? and would they fit one 17*7.5 Ultralegarra Wheel OZ's. been looking for almost 2 hrs on forums and couldnt find anything. advice appreciated !!!

Sorry for hijackign the thread, i just really didnt want to start a new one. ive been also looking at the Brembo GT's front setup however would they fit under the 17inch std Avus wheels ? and would they fit one 17*7.5 Ultralegarra Wheel OZ's. been looking for almost 2 hrs on forums and couldnt find anything. advice appreciated !!!

I use AP Racing 4 pots and 330mm discs so a Brembo Jnr and 323mm discs will fit under no probs but you may have to space them anything from 5 to 10mm

<tuffty/>

You need to know offset of the OZ's but yes LCR brembos fit under standard Avus' no problem, the design of that wheel helps as the spokes dont curve in.

What the boss said ;)

thanks tuffy your a ledgend seriously , i also heard from threads that the pads and disc arent up to par esp the drilled ones ? think it would be fine going with just slotted and when they get worn down , replace them with DS2500's ?

Should clear your ultraLeggs too i'd imagine, my LCR brembos clear standard Avus wheels no trouble with miles to spare, and my 17x8j Oz SuperT's clear with enough room to get a bus through the gap!

Being a motorsport wheel, I'd imagine the UltraLeggs are designed with good brake clearance in mind

I found on my superlegs 19x8 needed quite alot of spacing to clear my 6 pots admittedly they're et45 but have had to space them 25mm, i tried raduising the calipers slightly and still hit with 20mm spacers (was fine in the air but just caught when driven) but in comparison my 18x8 A8 reps which i believe are et38 cleared with a 10mm spacer

So superlegs et20, a8 et28, admittedly my calipers are huge but just a comparison between different alloys :)

thanks tuffy your a ledgend seriously , i also heard from threads that the pads and disc arent up to par esp the drilled ones ? think it would be fine going with just slotted and when they get worn down , replace them with DS2500's ?

Brembo's are a little narrower than my chunky AP's... my S3 Avus's would go on with a fag paper gap but I wouldn't run them like that... Worse case is you would need a 5mm spacer

As for discs.... if going 323mm then you have quite a bit of choice... Bill sells a few types... would use grooved over drilled as they tend to crack...

LEON CUPRA & R BRAKE PRICES & OPTIONS IN HERE-Read** - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

DS2500's are a sensible upgrade as is changing the fluid to Motul RBF 600 or 660

<tuffty/>

yeah ive been at odds as i dont want to spend 1680$ for OZ's 17*7.5 and 1k Pounds for them not to fit and i dont want to throw my rubber got Pzero's so ill get 8mm Spacers for the front and rear and should be fine no ?

edit: also got 3 bottles of 500ml of Motul RBF 600 ready too :D

yeah ive been at odds as i dont want to spend 1680$ for OZ's 17*7.5 and 1k Pounds for them not to fit and i dont want to throw my rubber got Pzero's so ill get 8mm Spacers for the front and rear and should be fine no ?

edit: also got 3 bottles of 500ml of Motul RBF 600 ready too :D

If you are going down the spacer route then 10mm front and 15mm rear give a nice look... although aren't you limited in Aus as to what mods you can fit?

<tuffty/>

yeah sort off but i know i guy that will treat me okay on the MOT , is it noticeable at all ? i saw a couple on awesome's web site ****** 62 pounds for each end though.. they say no more then 5mm on each side as they actually stop you and measure which sucks

To get the stance you could get lower offset wheels if available... OEM Avus are 17x7.5 ET32 so to get a 10mm spacer effect you would use ET22...

<tuffty/>

if i may ask as embarrassing as it is :confused: whats ET22 and ET32 sorry ....

yes we have gay rules in this country i.e. no decat exhausts on after market BOV, catch cans even if re-routed , the spacers , even loud music and exhuasts... and honking your horn would get you fined plenty, they end up ganging up on you with thier Ford XR6's which are horribly maintained

thank tuffy once again its saying id have roughly 25mm the inside of the wheel to the strut housing

ive also dont some research found the guide: http://www.brembo.com/en/car/Racing...TURISMO-RACING PACK Application list 2011.pdf

AUDI
S3 Quattro 1.8i 20V Turbo Front (8L)
B,R,S
323x28 1-Piece
1A4.6006A
1A5.6006A
X
N/A
B11.14.170

Last edited:
yes we have gay rules in this country i.e. no decat exhausts on after market BOV, catch cans even if re-routed , the spacers , even loud music and exhuasts... and honking your horn would get you fined plenty, they end up ganging up on you with thier Ford XR6's which are horribly maintained

thank tuffy once again its saying id have roughly 25mm the inside of the wheel to the strut housing

You should be able to find out what the ET of the OZ wheels are before buying them... not sure what offsets are available but maybe worth considering asking or looking at wheels that give you the option to change to a lower offset to allow you to get the stance/clearance you are looking for

<tuffty/>