S3 brake upgrade?

Stokesy90

Reaction score
Hi guys I've tried doing some research but struggling to find a definate answer. Looking at upgrading the brakes on the s3. Found a set of Porsche 18Z calipers for sale. But buyer is also unsure whether they will fit the 8l? Also a set of brembos that have been on a polo gti (unsure what there from originally) but whethere they would fit? All help is much appreciated. Thank you

Whats the usage of the car.
Lcr brembos with braided hoses
Grooved pads
Ds3000 pads will rip mate.
18z are huge
Can fit
But expensive and for most applications pointless.
Whats the spec of the car and do you travk etc

Reactions: Stokesy90
Also you couldnt have searched that hard as the brake uograde sticky is only 11 threads under yours right now! Lol

Go take a read!!

Reactions: Dani_B19 and Stokesy90
No track use as of yet.. But may do in future. But mainly for road use. I had a read over it but was so much info in there I just kept confusing myself. So many different models and set ups. Thank you for the help though bud. Appreciate it

Reactions: Dan S3
There is a lot to take in when reading through the brake upgrade sticky

Well if you want it to be simple and easy and as cheap as a bug brake kit can be but effective id suggest what i said.
I track my s3 and have 330bhp and my tyres are the problem.

18z will end up costing lots i would. Espeacially for decent discs and pads.

I know what you mean guys. Theres loads of info
Lots conflicting!!
Ive bo idea about pedal feel etc with the 18z

I wouldnt risk it.
Lcr brembo is easy and parts are off the shelf everywhere.
I got my brembo calipers and carriers off of ebay. Recently refurbed and hadnt been refitted since. 260 from memory.
Pads were 160
Motul rbf660 fluid
600 fine for road!
Discs 110 grooved only!!!
Easy!

Reactions: Dan S3 and Stokesy90
I know what you mean guys. Theres loads of info
Lots conflicting!!
Ive bo idea about pedal feel etc with the 18z

I wouldnt risk it.
Lcr brembo is easy and parts are off the shelf everywhere.
I got my brembo calipers and carriers off of ebay. Recently refurbed and hadnt been refitted since. 260 from memory.
Pads were 160
Motul rbf660 fluid
600 fine for road!
Discs 110 grooved only!!!
Easy!

That's brilliant mate. Thank you. Will forget about the 18z then and grab a set of lcr. Are they a straight fit to the s3. I'm getting mine booked in for mapping at r-tech hoping for around the 280 mark. May look at a little more power when decide to put on track or not. Really appreciate the help mate. Thank you

The calipers and carriers are bolt on as are discs.
I had my braided hoses made up but id say oem ones would fit tbh.

If you see a set without carriers bare in mind they are 100 quid for a pair from creation motorsport (as oong as they still do them)

Oem mounts are over 100 each i believe.
Lots of sets go up for sale
Also search breaking leon cupra r

Thanks again mate. Been a massive help. Saved me a lot of time and hassle. Really appreciate it

No worries ive been here myself its very easy to get carried away.
A guy on here prawn was using this set up for ages.
He only found them an issue when hitting 380bhp and using full slicks and believe me he is seriously fastand hard on brakes.

Get good pads!!! This isnt a place to skimp!!!

Pads make a massive difference. DS pads are awesome, i have so much more confidence in them than the standard I had before!

As above I'd stick with the LCR setup.

The Porsche brakes from the polo gti you speak of are not what they're advertised as. Avoid

Cheers lads. Currently trying to source a set of lcr with carriers too..
Thanks again for all the help

As above I'd stick with the LCR setup.

The Porsche brakes from the polo gti you speak of are not what they're advertised as. Avoid

Porsche brakes arnt from the polo, different set. Been offered a set of brembos that a guy is running on his polo gti but he's unsure whether they would fit my 8l as he's not sure what they came off

350s wont fit under 18s surely
Also they are the wrong stud pattern and carriers are likely to be different.
A great buy for someone but not you sir

You can go for most things on a mk4 golf platform but not mk2 a3 mk5 golf etc.

Where are you seeing 500 without carriers??

350s wont fit under 18s surely
Also they are the wrong stud pattern and carriers are likely to be different.
A great buy for someone but not you sir

You can go for most things on a mk4 golf platform but not mk2 a3 mk5 golf etc.

Where are you seeing 500 without carriers??

Ok bud. Cheers. Clicked on that link you put on here yesterday to eBay and the sets were around 500 saying was callipers pads and discs on the ads. No mention of carriers on them

Those AP's are the sort of kit you look at when moving on from Bremob LCR/Junior GT setups

CP6600 is an older design caliper but still v.good

You'd need new carrier to fit to 8L platform, and possibly bells

ps

Being AP that's approx an extra £200

If you're looking out for LCR setups also lookout for the Brembo Junior GT setup

A more modern version of the LCR caliper, does the same job @ similar price; more chance of finding something at OK price

I've seen calipers, carriers and braided lines going for circa £300 a few times, which is what I paid for my old JGT setup many moons ago

Last edited:
I didnt post a link ?? Lol
I think a bit kore patients is needed.
How come the rush?
Ive contacted ap regarding these calipers hefore snowy and they dont do adaptors you need them made up. :(

Oo.. Where you said about looking for Leon cupra breaking a few posts up it's come to me as a link to eBay haha. No rush really. But pads on current set up are getting low so will need replacing soon. And having a new driveshaft and bal joint fitted shortly so thought if can get a set soon can do it all at the same time that's all. Found a set with off lcr with carriers lines pads and discs. £400. Assuming with the carriers off of the cupra makes them straight bolt on to the 8l?

Surprised at that tbh

My AP's came with carriers - pretty simple universal design - change a shim change the offset type

Yeh they gave me a company that would make some.
So what caliper are you running snowy?
Most seem to do the 5200 range for mk4.

Stokesy i think monitor the market so you get familier with whats fair etc. Theres always something. Id try (try) to get calipers and carriers only so you can buy all new discs and pads but its your call of course.
If thendiscs and pads provided are good then you might wanna keep

Reactions: snowy
CP52xx range is more motorsport than the old CP66xx CP70xx ranges

Lighter weight design

Last edited:
ps CP6600 is heavy too

pps CP5xxx aren't exactly the lightest either

Might be worth looking at doing what @superkarl did and get a pair of RS3 calipers with various other bits? This is the route I'm going to take eventually, there quite affordable, looking on eBay you can pick them up for £300-£350. Also check his build thread he's done a good write up with fitting, etc.

Might be worth looking at doing what @superkarl did and get a pair of RS3 calipers with various other bits? This is the route I'm going to take eventually, there quite affordable, looking on eBay you can pick them up for £300-£350. Also check his build thread he's done a good write up with fitting, etc.
The rest of the bits make mine a fairly expensive upgrade tho, even tho the calipers can be had for cheap

Just had a read through your thread Superkarl. Well off the brake set up pages anyway. Set up looks incredible. How much did it cost you? And a breakdown of price of parts? If that's alright? Thank you