S3 buying advice (this is a tricky car to try and buy!!)

pop80_uk

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I love my Audi A3 1.5 SLINE TFSI 2015, its great. Lovely spec nice to drive and nice place to be in.

But I have always wanted an S3 and now recently I have been in a position to start looking!

But what a challenge it is proving, is there something about the S3 that stops garages (Audi and independents) wanting to sell their S3's?
Im suffering from no calls back, no emails back to inquiries, getting to test drives (which are booked) to be told the car is sold.
Its all a bit unusual, they also seem to sell very quick, I can see one go up for sale, call up a few hours later and be told its sold.

I had no idea the S3 was that desirable and sold so quickly.

I am really looking for a Serpang Blue one and in Manual (most seem to be automatics)

I would also like a bit of advice around purchasing

I have found a 2015 car with 57,000 miles on the clock, FSH but had some work water pump replaced and thermostat, but I am not sure if higher mileage = more engine troubles on an S3?

Any tips on purchase, what I should look for?
If the S3 is a reliable option? Is a high mileage option a risk in an S3?

Thank you in advance!

The thermostat leaking is a common issue so it’s good that it’s been addressed. I’ve got a 64 plate manual Sepang saloon with almost 50k on it and it’s been fine, the platform for these cars are used in so many forms most of the problems have already come to light and they’re pretty solid all round I’d say. I’ve just gone apr stage 2 and it’s an absolute joy.

Reactions: pop80_uk
I have a manual Saloon in Sepang Blue.

Try to find one with the Super Sport seats. Better to sit in, but also makes the cabin look and feel more special. I have extended leather on mine, which again makes the cabin feel just that bit more upmarket.

Although the S3 isn't what you'd call a fun car to drive, it can cover the ground at a decent enough pace to keep up with most things.
Manual gearbox? Again, not the most tactile thing to use, at least it give you interaction with your car.

Hill hold assist is worth looking for. Should be standard tbh.
B&O sound system is worth it if comparing cars. We all appreciate having a better sound system in our cars.

Overall the S3 is a great car to own and live with. Looks good inside and out, and will accelerate with enough shove to keep most people happy, and can do it come rain or shine.

Sepang Blue is the best colour in the S3. But maybe I'm just biased

One thing I forgot to mention is the clutch, they are very weak and I’d be surprised if it’s on its original at 50k. I put in a Sachs organic. Budget for about 1k all in.

Last edited:
Most S3's are S-tronic on the used market...so you will struggle to find a good manual one....S-tronic more desirable with higher prices,the Saloon is the pick of the Bunch

Reactions: TonkS3 and Ron240
Most S3's are S-tronic on the used market...so you will struggle to find a good manual one....S-tronic more desirable with higher prices,the Saloon is the pick of the Bunch

Thank you all so far! Keep it coming

I have never driven a auto before, so not sure I would be comfy driving anything other than an manual

The clutch is the original one on the 57K one I have been looking at, so I am guessing no good as it will need a new clutch soon.

To be frank I was a manual gearbox fan....auto slush box transmissions were for people who were not petrol heads or others who had never driven a manual gear box (most North Americans). But, the DSG transmission changed my mind. It does have quirks, but I would never take a manual over a DSG transmission. Once you get use to it, it is ****** brilliant. Great manual mode with rev matching downshifts, super fast gear shifts and a wonderful auto mode with 3 mode settings available to suit your driving tastes.

Reactions: GW1, Ron240, Jimbob76 and 2 others
We have a manual saloon super low mileage ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Thank you all so far! Keep it coming

I have never driven a auto before, so not sure I would be comfy driving anything other than an manual

The clutch is the original one on the 57K one I have been looking at, so I am guessing no good as it will need a new clutch soon.

You need to try one mate then make up your mind

Reactions: Jassyo06
To be frank I was a manual gearbox fan....auto slush box transmissions were for people who were not petrol heads or others who had never driven a manual gear box (most North Americans). But, the DSG transmission changed my mind. It does have quirks, but I would never take a manual over a DSG transmission. Once you get use to it, it is ****** brilliant. Great manual mode with rev matching downshifts, super fast gear shifts and a wonderful auto mode with 3 mode settings available to suit your driving tastes.

Lots of support for the STronic on here and yes, it's a technical marvel. If you're buying the car for pub bragging rights about getting off the line in the quickest possible time, or if you spend a lot of time crawling around town or in rush hour queues then definitely buy one.

But that's not the end of it. I drove STronic in a 2.0 150 diesel for two months and in an S3 for six weeks.

I found the diesel just awful and annoyingly slow and would definitely not want the auto with this engine.

It was more suited to the S3 but my experience was - for normal driving, in auto mode it changes up too quickly, in Sport mode it holds on to the gears too long. It's ok provided you only want it to change up or down by the one gear that it thinks you will want next, then it will change straight away. Any other changes, when you put your foot down, there is an annoying delay when the car does nothing whilst it selects a lower gear. Around town, put your foot down too much and it changes right down and lurches when you're not expecting it.
You can always use the paddles - if you can be bothered.
In essence it all feels a bit fly by wire, with the car not responding straight away to what you do with the accelerator. If you are willing to "learn the technique" then go for it.

The only way you'll know if the STronic is for you is to drive one, but try for an extended test drive - you may love it. Jassy thinks the STronic gear stick looks better so that is reason enough not to buy a manual.

The manual is not without flaws. The action is not the best, the clutch is slow and the power doesn't come back on straight away after changes. All highlighted by how quick the car accelerates. Probably too quick for a manual box, but at least you have something to do and feel in control.

Will my next car be an auto? Looks like it will have to be if I want another Audi.

Reactions: NevMan and Jimbob76
The manuals do get a bad press, I have driven a golf r which is the same engine/box and it was very good but I like changing gear. Plus the saving I made with going manual paid for stage pretty much. Theses engines are so good and when mapped produce so much torque that you don’t need to be changing gear all the time unless your really looking to make rapid progress.. as stated above, just try both.

It was more suited to the S3 but my experience was - for normal driving, in auto mode it changes up too quickly, in Sport mode it holds on to the gears too long. It's ok provided you only want it to change up or down by the one gear that it thinks you will want next, then it will change straight away. Any other changes, when you put your foot down, there is an annoying delay when the car does nothing whilst it selects a lower gear. Around town, put your foot down too much and it changes right down and lurches when you're not expecting it.
You can always use the paddles - if you can be bothered.
In essence it all feels a bit fly by wire, with the car not responding straight away to what you do with the accelerator. If you are willing to "learn the technique" then go for it

Great summary @Matt Titanium - and for exactly these reasons I spent several weeks after buying my S3 worried that “I think I don’t like my gearbox”. There are certain situations where it can be a little dim witted, and you have to wait momentarily for it to catch up, but a few months into ownership I’ve learned the situations where it will predictably be so and have learned techniques to manage (and enjoy) these. I’ve now re-calibrated my brain and loving playing with a combination of fully auto, flappy paddles and tip-tronic changes. I always swore that proper petrol heads drive manuals but it would now seem like a step backwards to go back.

I would recommend S-tronic (in an S3 at least as that is my frame of reference), but be prepared and willing to go through a brief learning curve on anticipating what it will do in certain situations and how to get the best out of it.

...oh, and if you go Sportback, get roof rails! Even if you don’t plan to use them (I do frequently use them on mine), aesthetically they significantly improve the look of the Sportback IMO :thumbs up:

Reactions: Terminator x, NevMan and oli356
...oh, and if you go Sportback, get roof rails! Even if you don’t plan to use them (I do frequently use them on mine), aesthetically they significantly improve the look of the Sportback IMO :thumbs up:
Roof rails - Noooooooo.
B&O - Yes - even if it's just to drown out the silly fake brum brum noises coming from that speaker under the dash.
If you go manual expect a bill of £1000 for a new clutch.
If you go STronic expect a far bigger bill if it ever goes wrong.

Roof rails - Noooooooo.
B&O - Yes - even if it's just to drown out the silly fake brum brum noises coming from that speaker under the dash.
If you go manual expect a bill of £1000 for a new clutch.
If you go STronic expect a far bigger bill if it ever goes wrong.

Where all this clutch problems with a manual come from? Is it just mapped cars?

I've had my manual for over 3 years now, and no clutch problems. Though I don't try launching it all the time so it doesn't get abused.

I've had my manual for over 3 years now, and no clutch problems. Though I don't try launching it all the time so it doesn't get abused.

Plenty seem to have had problems and early failures though.

As I see it, the clutch failures are probably down to insufficient clamping force on the clutch plate so it fails to fully hold the torque that these engines produce. It starts to slip a bit without really being noticed and before you know it it is overheating and slipping quite badly under heavy load. You go to Audi, they say "not covered under warranty" want £2k to replace it or at the risk of a £1k bill will strip it, only to say "look, it's worn and the flywheel is blue, it's your fault" and how do you prove otherwise? So most think it's not worth the grief and just pay someone who knows what they are doing to fit something more robust for £1k all in and Audi get away with it.

Why do they fit substandard clutches? Cost saving? to maintain a lighter pedal feel? Who knows. But they removed the manual option on the 184 diesel when the facelift was released and now they have also removed it from the S3. Both produced similar high levels of torque though...

I've driven manual cars for 35 years and was originally taught to drive with mechanical sympathy in mind, either clutch in or out. I've only ever had to replace a clutch in one car at 96k, and that was due to release bearing failure.

I don't drive like a tw*t, have never tried a launch to get all four wheels spinning, don't "ride" the clutch, don't need 4000 rpm to reverse incredibly slowly out of a parking space and don't hold my cars on hills or anywhere else with the clutch at biting point. My car has done less than 14k miles and I've had no clutch issues, but if I do, I'll not be blaming the style of my driving. Whether I'll risk the possible expense and hassle of pursuing Audi or not if my clutch does fail, we'll see.

Reactions: GW1, Ron240, wab172uk and 1 other person

There definitely seems to be a common issue with the clutch on this engine type - right throughout the VAG range. Standard cars seem to be suffering, so not just down to mapped cars. From what I've read, there is no clear guidance as to why so many failures, and VAG aren't standing over a replacement.

I'm sure others will be able to give a more definitive answer.

You have to try both gearboxes.
I did, bought a manual, 30k well driven miles and still on original clutch and for me the right choice. The removal of the 'assistance' spring on the clutch pedal makes a huge difference to the feel. When/if I need a new clutch then I will be going for the uprated Sachs.
However the majority prefer DSG, if I had stop/start driving and/or commuting I would have also.

When an uprated clutch is only circa £1k fitted then to ignore the manual because of weak clutches for me is naive, barter hard and well (as people on here have said more people prefer the DSG so is a deal on a manual to be had?) and IF you want the manual then you can get one and forget about the clutch for the life of the car.

Reactions: Matt Titanium and NevMan
Plenty seem to have had problems and early failures though.

As I see it, the clutch failures are probably down to insufficient clamping force on the clutch plate so it fails to fully hold the torque that these engines produce. It starts to slip a bit without really being noticed and before you know it it is overheating and slipping quite badly under heavy load. You go to Audi, they say "not covered under warranty" want £2k to replace it or at the risk of a £1k bill will strip it, only to say "look, it's worn and the flywheel is blue, it's your fault" and how do you prove otherwise? So most think it's not worth the grief and just pay someone who knows what they are doing to fit something more robust for £1k all in and Audi get away with it.

Why do they fit substandard clutches? Cost saving? to maintain a lighter pedal feel? Who knows. But they removed the manual option on the 184 diesel when the facelift was released and now they have also removed it from the S3. Both produced similar high levels of torque though...

I've driven manual cars for 35 years and was originally taught to drive with mechanical sympathy in mind, either clutch in or out. I've only ever had to replace a clutch in one car at 96k, and that was due to release bearing failure.

I don't drive like a tw*t, have never tried a launch to get all four wheels spinning, don't "ride" the clutch, don't need 4000 rpm to reverse incredibly slowly out of a parking space and don't hold my cars on hills or anywhere else with the clutch at biting point. My car has done less than 14k miles and I've had no clutch issues, but if I do, I'll not be blaming the style of my driving. Whether I'll risk the possible expense and hassle of pursuing Audi or not if my clutch does fail, we'll see.

Never new any of that. Thanks for the explanation Matt.

You'd have thought VAG would have come up with a simple solution once problems started occurring, and just started fitting an uprated clutch to new cars. Still wouldn't put me off buying a new manual over a DSG though.

Reactions: Matt Titanium
Never new any of that. Thanks for the explanation Matt.

You'd have thought VAG would have come up with a simple solution once problems started occurring, and just started fitting an uprated clutch to new cars. Still wouldn't put me off buying a new manual over a DSG though.

That would seem a sensible solution, but since "the demand isn't there" Audi no longer make the S3 with a manual geabox.

Audi no longer making the manual should help with future resale. My manual car is great to drive with loads of power, I love the fact I’m in complete control of what’s going on and I can live with being slower to 60 ect. Everyday driving I find it involving and also find the box to be pretty good on fast Changes, although you will lose boost for a split second unlike the stronic on changing..

Reactions: Terminator x, Matt Titanium and NevMan
Audi no longer making the manual should help with future resale. My manual car is great to drive with loads of power, I love the fact I’m in complete control of what’s going on and I can live with being slower to 60 ect. Everyday driving I find it involving and also find the box to be pretty good on fast Changes, although you will lose boost for a split second unlike the stronic on changing..

Not so sure about that, as most people want the stronic, hence why Audi no longer make the manual. Unless of course happen to get a bidding war over manual which is unlikely....in my opinion of course.

Not so sure about that, as most people want the stronic, hence why Audi no longer make the manual. Unless of course happen to get a bidding war over manual which is unlikely....in my opinion of course.
If they are no longer made and you want a manual then you will have to pay what ever price the manual commands. The stronic will always be the most popular and will probably have 90% of the market, but this is why the manuals will be harder to source, hence possibility in time commanding a premium. All guessing really and time will tell. My experience with car buying and selling is that it’s not always the best cars that command the best price, as they get a little older it’s more the rearity..

Last edited:
If they are no longer made and you want a manual then you will have to pay what ever price the manual commands. The stronic will always be the most popular and will probably have 90% of the market, but this is why the manuals will be harder to source, hence possibility in time commanding a premium. All guessing really and time will tell. My experience with car buying and selling is that it’s not always the best cars that command the best price, as they get a little older it’s more the rearity..

Just look at Ferrari's. Anything with a Manual gearbox is commanding huge sums over the same car with an F1 box.

While an S3 is certainly not a Ferrari, the demise of the manual forced upon us will only increase the demand for a second hand manual S3's down the line.

I had no idea the S3 was that desirable and sold so quickly.

I have to agree- i certainly found that and also decided that i would need to invest some time and money to see them.

Bought in Bristol and live outside edinburgh.

I too have a manual, in the slower mythos black variety though.

You wont regret it!

Reactions: Starry
Thanks everyone,

Some amazing comments, feedback and information so far. I really thank you for taking the time to reply, its hugely appreciated.

So here is where I am at the moment, struggling to find one and struggling to get any dealer but main dealers to pick up my part exchange!

Ive driven a manual it was amazing (as much as a restrictive test drive can be) and I went to go and try and drive an auto today, but arrived and it had sold.

Found two awesome manual S3's good spec (required some travelling to get to them, but thats fine) phoned up and both independent dealers said, yeah we don't want your A3 Sline so no Part exchange thanks.

I just seem to to hitting a brick wall at the moment, for instance my local audi dealer had two S3's only in last week, in two days between them being on the website and me calling, they had sold!

Could I ask a bit more about the auto box, is it reliable? what is the clutch life?
I mainly do stop start town driving and motor way driving.

Thanks again!

Also I should ask people colour preference?

Suzuka grey or sepang blue?

Thanks

I’m Sepang and love it but also had a Q5 in Daytona and that’s a great colour. Personal preference.

The removal of the 'assistance' spring on the clutch pedal makes a huge difference to the feel..
How did you do that, wife says her 1.5tfsi clutch is to light !!!!

phoned up and both independent dealers said, yeah we don't want your A3 Sline so no Part exchange thanks.
This seems weird to be, unless your car is an odd colour or really high mileage that makes it unattractive, wouldn't have thought you'd have much issue part exchanging that car. I've done about 9k miles in my S3 (S Tronic) and it is still bang on. I think most don't really have issues with it. Not sure where you are based but should be able to find an S3 to test drive at most dealers, but like you said they are sold quickly. My local one always has one as it is sat as a demo / staff car. If you mention why you'd want to drive it you may have more luck.

Pity there isn't a way of moving the biting point. Mine is much further up the pedal than it was in the 1.8.

Can't disagree with this.....and that's from well before I became an Audi owner. :innocent:
Nice to see men with good taste around here :smirk: but in all seriousness, when I got my A3 saloon 6 months back, all of the good ones would go from the Audi website in a day or two. Would see one, one night, phone up on my dinner break at work only to find out it had already sold.

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240