S3 cabriolet b&o no sub

FULLBORE

Reaction score
Hey guys. Wondering if anyone can help me. Recently bought a 2014 s3 cab. It as the b&o system. Instantly noticed the lack of subwoofer base. Looked it up and it appears the cabs did not come with a subwoofer. There is no sub control on the mmi either. Now, i know you can buy them line in to rca adaptors and run a aftermarket sub..... but id prefer to try and go the oem route if possible.
You can but the oem wheel well subs cheap...
Surely audi would use the same mmi system across the board with s3 hatch,saloon and cab and just disable the sub control

Even if i have to run a aftermarket sub but run it properly off the mmi so i can control it via mma would be great.

Really dont want to go the bodge route. Would be greatful fornany advice as ive spent hours combing though here and the web for a solution and found nothing

I have a cab also which i'm told has the sub in the rear parcel shelf, i am not 100% sure it is but.....also it is not only the cab that does not have the sub control, it seems a firmware update rectifies this, again only what i have read on here

Cool. Will have a look tomorrow, but i cant see there being one there. Thanks for the response

Cabrio does not have a sub. It has 13 active speakers and 625w as opposed to 14 active speakers and 705w on the sportback/saloon.

Think it's so extra hairdressing equipment can be stored in the spare wheel-well! lol

Reactions: H4VO, Ron240, Chris.D and 4 others
It still puts a smile on my face come rain or shine

Reactions: FULLBORE and loftylad
It still puts a smile on my face come rain or shine

Haha. too right! I've had a 'cab for the last 8 years, and got an S3 cab on order - the hairdressing comments are par for the course!

And, it goes without saying- I'm also a Gaylord! lol

Reactions: FULLBORE and Simon Lowe
If you are a hair dresser and rocking around in a s3 cab..... then you must be good at your job!! Lol

Anyways.... back to topic. So, if the cab does not have a sub. Rather than use the line out to rca adaptors to fit an aftermarket sub and amp does that mean the mmi still has the sub output on the block? Could i use that instead of tapping into the rear speakers?

Or better still use the b&o spare wheel sub and wire it into the mmi just as it is on the sportback and saloon s3? Surely the mmi is exactly the same unit across the board.

Finally, any ideas how to enable subwoofer control on the s3 cab mmi? So that i can got the complete oem route.

Reactions: loftylad
If you are a hair dresser and rocking around in a s3 cab..... then you must be good at your job!! Lol

Anyways.... back to topic. So, if the cab does not have a sub. Rather than use the line out to rca adaptors to fit an aftermarket sub and amp does that mean the mmi still has the sub output on the block? Could i use that instead of tapping into the rear speakers?

Or better still use the b&o spare wheel sub and wire it into the mmi just as it is on the sportback and saloon s3? Surely the mmi is exactly the same unit across the board.

Finally, any ideas how to enable subwoofer control on the s3 cab mmi? So that i can got the complete oem route.
All speakers on the b&o System are driven from the amp under your passenger seat. The MMI connects via MOST (fibre optic) link. The sub would need to be connected here as per non-cabrio wiring. The MMI unit and b&o amp would then need to be coded and parametrised accordingly, not something the average “man with a VAG-com” cable could do.

Reactions: FULLBORE
Thanks for the reply DJAlix. Will stick my head under there the weekend and have a look. Guess im going to have to just go the line out to rca adaptor route. Not the end of the world i guess.

Seriously though, I wonder why the cab doesn’t have a sub? Acoustics?

Seriously though, I wonder why the cab doesn’t have a sub? Acoustics?
More likely space. It’s better to boast that there’s a bigger or similar sized boot than a competitor, weight/emission might have something to do with it too.
I’m sure the 8p a3 cab with bose had a sub. Girl I used to work with had one.

More likely space. It’s better to boast that there’s a bigger or similar sized boot than a competitor, weight/emission might have something to do with it too.
I’m sure the 8p a3 cab with bose had a sub. Girl I used to work with had one.

Yep even my budget a3 8p cab had a sub. It was in the rear qtr panel nxt to the back passenger. I wouls say it was probably to keep costs down as well as the space issue.... The boot in the 8p was also a lot bigger too. The 8v is pathetic boot space wise. I NEED a sub though. The b&o sounds good but is massively lacking in bass. Sounds odd to me. Either way i plan on cracking into this this weekend. Gonna build a sub box that fits the patchetic boot. Lol. Can only go 9" tall so its gonna be a squeeze.

Reactions: Simon Lowe
Maybe a small sub fitted into the n/side rear boot liner ? , not sure if it would fit but have a look, keep us informed as I too think it’s lacking bass and would love to add one !!

No. It does not. Ive now gone the route of building a sub box. Ive made it super slim so that it fits under the roof tray. Ive had to buy a new sub as the alpine type r sub i was gonna use is too deep. Bit overkill too. So bought a infinity reference 1200s shallow subwoofer. Fits nice under the rear tray as the box is only 7" deep but stretches across the whole boot with the amp mounted one side,sub on the other. Gonna run a line out to rca adaptor but run a manual rca level adjuster up front in the cabin somewhere. Plan on wiring it all up this weekend. As well as fit my res delete amd ram air intake kit, large turbo elbow amd muffler delete. Gonna be a busy weekend....

Hey m8 how did the sub fit go?, any pictures u can show us?
Cheers

I have a Sport cab, not an S line. I wonder if that’s the difference. The manual refers to either spare or tube of gunge.

Don’t think S3’s have a spare at all , mine has a reinflation kit that’s all

Reactions: FULLBORE
If it’s like the sportback then the s3 and Quattro equipped cars will have a shallower boot to accommodate the Quattro/haldex gubbins, pair that with making room for the soft top then there will be limited space for a spare. Audi will need to leave you enough space for golf clubs or hairdressing equipment :wink:

Reactions: FULLBORE and loftylad
My s3 does not have a spare wheel well at all. Its a flat panel... haldex is underneath so theres no space for a wheel well.

Right. Finally got this sorted. Not the best possible way as i know you could get head unit coded for sub then enable sub output on the b&o amp but its finding someone to do this amd the cost of it. So, as i said, i bought the infinity reference sub for £100. Built the box which cost me nothing as i work with wood/ply. Bought some accoustic carpet. Then run the power cable down the car. There is a grommet behind the glovebox pretty much made for it. Right next to where the loom exits the car theres a unused grommet. Pierced a little hole then fed the power cable through. I then bought a jl loc-22. Popped off the rear covers on the rear speakers. You dont need to remove the rear cards.... Then tapped into the base speakers. Wired up. Perfect. Loc-22 provides remote live to the amp. The loc-22 has adjustment too. I also ran a level adjust to the glove box so i can manually adjust bass. Nice and discreet.
Need to block up the port though as its too boomy. Actually really loud. Didnt think it would be great but sounds awesome.

Just to add. I started to adjust the amp settings, then the level adjuster. Then realised because the feed is tapped into the bass speakers it adjusts fro the BASE adjustment on the mmi!.
So not real need for remote level adjuster apart from aiding fine tuning quicker. I still need to adjust it beeter as only got round to doing this tonight. Will seal the port tomorrow then fine adjust the base.

Great mod and only cost me £200 all in for the sub, loc-22, level adjuster. Had an amp already. A worthwhile fix imo. B@o stuff sound so much better now it has a bit of proper base.

Once ive tidied it up i will post a couple of pics.

Reactions: Simon Lowe
Spot on m8, think it’s a bit too technical for me , I was thinking of a Pioneer underseat sub, do you think that would be ample ? I’m not a volume up to max until your ears bleed kind of bloke ((-:

I think you might struggle tbh. Poked my head under there and theres no room under these seats at all. Especially if you have neck scarf on your seats.
In all honesty its really straightforward to fit.
Considering theres no doorcard removal makes the job much easier. Hardest part was running a power cable along the car.