S3 - Check Engine / EPC light & Loss of coolant - Fix (potentially)

Squeaky

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought this might be helpful as i've seen a few posts about the check engine, EPC light and the mysterious loss of coolant.

Just a bit of background on my issue / vehicle.
S3 - 2014 - S Tronic - 18K miles - 35 mile round trip per day / Road and town driving - Pretty much drive it around in dynamic.

What was wrong / fix: The thermostat was leaking (according to the Audi technician) causing pressure issues when the car was running hot. They replaced the thermostat under warranty and everything is ok! The whole process costing me nothing. Also, the Car was with hatfield Audi for 2 days.

Heres the back ground for those of you who want to read it:

Check Engine Light / EPC light: Around a month a go a fuel tanker / lorry crashed on the m1 causing all 4 lanes to close - nightmare! So, there i was stuck in stand still traffic - on my normal 30 - 40 minute drive home. Around the 1 hour 30 mark my car starts to judder and the engine sounds like its having the worse time of its life. 15 minutes and a few feet later, the check engine light comes on with the EPC, acceleration is cut in half and the car is struggling to move. Luckily i was at the end of my road so quickly got onto my drive in 2nd gear as the car wasn't changing up... Later that night i took it out to check if the problem persisted and possibly try break down to get Audi assistance out - everything was fine...The problem never came back.

Due to holidays and traveling i couldn't get the car into Audi for 3 weeks but nothing like that happened again. I thought i might have been down to the amount of idling i was doing during the stand still traffic, plus i was playing around with the stop start - which i always normally turn off... i don't know. Anyway, i booked the car in for a diagnostic for when i was back.

Loss of coolant: Back from my travels, first day back into work, the drive there, perfect no issues. On the way home again, stuck in a bit of traffic red lights on the dash and "stop engine check coolant". I pull over, pop the bonnet and open the cap - the whole thing starts to boil over. Manage to make it home with the coolant light coming on and off, and then i top it up with fluid when i get back. To be on the safe side i get Audi assistance out they cant find any issue but added it to my list to get check out at the diagnostic.

Since owning the car i'm constantly toping up fluids, whether it be oil, coolant, washer fluids etc. Seems to drink everything!

------------------

Can't think of anything i might have missed... sorry if this has already been solved and i'm just repeating info.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Mine was constantly drinking coolant and was pressure tested twice. On the second visit the technician topped it up beyond the Max level (as per the TPI) and it hasn't used a drop since in 8k miles.

On the oil front, mine does consume a little oil but it's not excessive and in line with normal usage - 0.5L every 2-3k miles.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Touch wood, mine hasn't seemed to have lost anything so far. Could it be the start stop affecting something? Constantly turning on?
I know this sounds crazy but I ALWAYS have it turned off and I havent(touch wood) had any issues? Just an idea...I have no technical knowledge?