S3 Convertible opinions please

chazd

Reaction score
not quite yet but in the near future may consider upgrading from the TT to an S3 Convertible. Have got an SQ5 but four seats would be more practical and want to remain with a convertible in the household.

So what are people's opinions? Many on here own them? I presume tuning is relatively easy as per the S3?

Seen some very nice examples with lots of spec and low miles for £35k or thereabouts

Pic of the TT for those interested.

8D5B2240-A80C-4AAD-81FD-000DA6BCDBEF.jpg

The S3 convertible is a classy looking car mega expensive new,great value used/ex demo, slightly slower than the hatchbacks because of its extra weight,it's basically a S3 Saloon with the roof chopped off,not may regulars owners on here

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L
S3 cab looks great but a total waste of time with the typical weather in Blighty..............just my opinion obviously not yours as you've already had a cab!! Nice looking TT by the way :)

Personally I think the S3 saloon looks nicer than the S3 cab.................but then I would say that!! :yahoo:

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Jassyo06
S3 cab looks great but a total waste of time with the typical weather in Blighty..............just my opinion obviously not yours as you've already had a cab!! Nice looking TT by the way :)

Personally I think the S3 saloon looks nicer than the S3 cab.................but then I would say that!! :yahoo:
I have the cab TT as well and I thought I would use it...but in reality...I don't (Scottish weather) and it's not as practical as my TT Coupe I had...hence the order of my S3 SB

Reactions: Simon L
Had an A3 cabriolet for a couple of weeks and although it was great when the roof was down it was terrible with wind noise and rattles with the roof up. Just my opinion but given the choice between a cabriolet/hatchback or saloon I would have the cabriolet as a last choice..ps nice looking TT.. :stupid:

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L
Nice wheels on the TT - Like them.

I've got the A3 Cabriolet and I love it.
Personally, I wouldn't go for the S3 Cabriolet as, strange as it sounds, the car would be too fast and not be a pleasant drive - especially when the roof is down.

With the windbreaker in place, the wind radically reduces - although to me, defeats the object of having the roof down.
However, if you have females in the vehicle, they will insist that the windbreaker is always in place.
Roof down, all the windows down and vehicle looks the Nuts.

With the roof up, the road / wind noise is barely noticeable. Having had convertibles before, this one is particularly good for this.
I've not experienced any undue rattles.
Regarding the (rather a lot) rain, I treat the roof every six months and water just beads on the roof - no leakages / water penetration at all.

As above though, (my view of) this type of vehicle is not really for speed.
It is about leisurely driving from A - B and enjoying the drive / sights rather than hooning from A - B as quick as possible.

Oh, despite a leisurely drive, with the roof down you will see the fuel gauge drop remarkably quickly.
With the S3, I can only suggest that this should be more pronounced !!

Enjoy, whichever vehicle type / style you choose to go with.

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Had an A3 cabriolet for a couple of weeks and although it was great when the roof was down it was terrible with wind noise and rattles with the roof up. Just my opinion but given the choice between a cabriolet/hatchback or saloon I would have the cabriolet as a last choice..ps nice looking TT.. :stupid:

Must have been something very wrong with yours, mind doesn't squeak or rattle at all. From a noise point of view, you really wouldn't think you're in a soft top when the roof is up.

Reactions: pburv
Must have been something very wrong with yours, mind doesn't squeak or rattle at all. From a noise point of view, you really wouldn't think you're in a soft top when the roof is up.
I would have to disagree with your last comment.The cabriolet is noisier than the other A3,s inside the cabin if you have the base model without the 'acoustic' hood this is a £220 option on the base SE model but free on other models.(it's possible I had the base model Se without this option??) but it did have a lot of rattles..

I can only talk from experience of my own car. Very quiet (appreciably quieter than either my other car or the one we replaced with this, both hard tops), no rattles, no excessive wind noise. I believe mine does have the triple skinned hood, but then so does the S3 the OP is asking about.

Yay, the cabbie gets a mention ! :)

I've had a Daytona A3 S-Line Cab 1.4tfsi COD 150 since July and it's fab. No rattles etc.with the roof up. Very air tight - feels like a coupe. I've previously had 2 A4 cabs and they were also very good. Oh and I've had an A3 3 door 8v model. That was a cracker too !

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
I'm trying to find one to have a scout at but they are few and far between and it seems needy few own them!

It's firstly I prefer the styling and spec of the S3 model over the stock cabrio and secondly I couldn't get a slower model than the TT and the SQ5 either!

It seems there are some decent discounts on the S3 model so may be worth me looking in to.

The thing that gets me is the TT looks like a sports designed car whereas the S3 I feel look may look odd with just the front seats majority in use and the rears rarely as its just the saloon with the roof lopped off!

The thing that gets me is the TT looks like a sports designed car whereas the S3 I feel look may look odd with just the front seats majority in use and the rears rarely as its just the saloon with the roof lopped off!

Test one and, if you like it, everything's fine. I couldn't care less how I look in a car, if people are shallow enough to form negative or positive opinions about a complete stranger based solely on their view of how someone looks when driving a particular car then that's their problem, not yours. It's your car, nobody else's, if you enjoy driving it then that's all that matters.

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Test one and, if you like it, everything's fine. I couldn't care less how I look in a car, if people are shallow enough to form negative or positive opinions about a complete stranger based solely on their view of how someone looks when driving a particular car then that's their problem, not yours. It's your car, nobody else's, if you enjoy driving it then that's all that matters.
images

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
I think I'm sold...!

ce303608894af1c652c392787df69db6.jpg

f4afcaaaedf856f34593a92548a57056.jpg

I saw these photos on the net and was also sold...but after owning my Cab TT for a year in not so sunny Scotland, I decided to give it a miss this time

Plus the visibility is horrific...not sure about the S3 but the TT is bad. I had to retrofit a rear camera to mine but even with this its brutal!

Last edited:
i used the TT roof down for many days last year and we do a trip to the south of France so I'm sure it will get its use.

It's one of those things that after owning a convertible it's difficult to not have one on the drive!

I have one just like the pic but with lunar silver seats. Absolutely love it, so much so that I'm having doubts about the RS3 I have on order. Zero rattles or squeaks and great refinement roof up, you would never guess you were in a cab such is the build quality. Performance always feels strong despite the extra weight and in my opinion sounds far better than a hatch as you can hear the exhaust. I've done around 4K in mine and it goes in for PX end of feb. Roof down you get usual bit of bluster without wind breaker but TBH I've never taken mine out of the bag. Looks wise I think its a stunner and even looks great roof up.

I have a mk1 TT roadster, a 15 year old MX5 and recently sold a B6 S4 Cab so feel qualified to judge, this is the best cabrio I have owned and offers relative practicality, I have 2 kids under 10 and cockerpoo.

The car turns heads everywhere I go and has a really good feel good factor, no evidence of skuttle shake etc with the only minor fault I can think of being that it has a strange behaviour over speed humps but suspect this may be down to mag ride.

I think I am firmly in the love camp.

Oh and despite the high RRP some great discounts and financial support available from Audi. My absolute favourite car in recent years by far, might be worth mentioning I was massively underwhelmed by the 3 door hatch when first released and test driven, for some reason the Cab offers me so much more.

Had the roof down twice this week in 2 degrees winter sunshine and was warm and snug with standard heated seats and a great heater.

If you are anywhere near the midlands more than welcome to take a look/drive..

Reactions: chazd and Relliott6879