S3 Dampers Swapped by Anyone?

DickiePhitt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've noticed over the months quite a bit written about the S3's somewhat bouncy ride over undulations at speed. I would suspect that fitting improved dampers would go a long way to addressing this 'deficiency' and greatly improve the higher speed characteristics.
Plenty of posts about changing springs/lowering, which doesn't interest me, but I cannot see any reference to there being a proven alternative set of shock absorbers to improve the criticised handing traits.
Anyone done a change/know of any options?

OK, so before someone points out how the suspension is a subtle mix of spring and damper rates, etc, let me ask the follow-up question. Shortened springs ignored, is there an alternative spring & damper combo available for the S3 that is proven to hugely improve the handling?

Reactions: Fiddie
I emailed awesome about this and the selection is limited. There's hardly anything around. KW seem to be the only supplier of full suspension kits, KW1,2 & 3. However I really want the street comfort kit they do on the 8P. KW have confirmed they are not planning on making this kit for the s3 any time soon. As I'm getting a new car (dealer order error) I won't be doing any mods to my current s3, hoping something will be around later this year that gives the OEM feel, but sits lower and reduces that body roll.

As for dampers on their own, I've not directly asked but John at awesome informed me there were no billies made for the 8V which is really what I'd like.

Reactions: Fiddie
German eBay and search bilstein
Dampers and coilovers available

If lowering doesn't interest you surely there is a Bilstein B6 damper available for 8V S3 ?

Reactions: batch
If lowering doesn't interest you surely there is a Bilstein B6 damper available for 8V S3 ?

I an 100% certain they are but I would recommend getting springs and b8 dampers
I know you are reluctant to lower but honestly it's a tiny subtle 10mm drop which has no issues with clearing any bumps at all.

I am lowered about 15-20mm and clear steep car parks and speed bumps even loaded with people and luggage.
My comfort is essentially unchanged from stock.

Did you know the b14 coilovers can be set to factory height?

Reactions: DickiePhitt
Ha nonsense, I fitted them and asked them to be set as high as possible as was worried about the car being too low.... It ended up being higher than stock!

Haha, just covering themselves then maybe! Sounds like they're a good investment then Dan?

For sure they are if the price is right!
I picked mine up brand new for £700-800 if I remember correctly directly from Germany.

Just hit German eBay and search s3 8v bilstein and all the variants show up, make sure it's a 55mm strut and your all good.

Just ordered the B12 Sportline kit for my S3 Sportback, which should give 20mm drop front and rear, same as the H&R's I am currently running. I thought about coilovers but I am not taking the car on a track and I am unlikely to faff about with adjusting ride height. Hopefully this set up will rid me of the awful bounce. Got them here > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361408580801

Just ordered the B12 Sportline kit for my S3 Sportback, which should give 20mm drop front and rear, same as the H&R's I am currently running. I thought about coilovers but I am not taking the car on a track and I am unlikely to faff about with adjusting ride height. Hopefully this set up will rid me of the awful bounce. Got them here > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361408580801
They look the ticket I'll have a look for 3 door set up

Good choice!
I went stock to b14 coilovers and after having installed I had to double check they were actually fitted as it was almost the same as stock for comfort!

Big question is do they get rid of the bounce and floaty feel?

Reactions: veeeight

I've gone B16s and the bounce is entirely gone. Hugely impressed with them.

Reactions: Steph67
The eBay seller I ordered the B12 kit from has just informed me, he doesn't actually have any stock. Earliest would be November. Refund requested. Why offer to sell something you don't actually have, grrr :grumpy:

Yes it cures it completely!
Before at 100mph it would feel floaty and scary, now 150mph is fine

Reactions: slayaz and thebluefox
B14's ordered - 810 euro inc delivery, hopefully I don't get another email saying no stock.

Reactions: Stevier88, Steph67 and Dandanfings
B16 has damper adjustment, B14 just ride height I believe.

Exact same shock just without adjustment.
However the damping is set by the factory specifically for the vehicle..... And I trust the Germans to know what settings I need more than myself so would rather have it this way anyway and save £400!

Reactions: Bradks3 and slayaz
B14's ordered - 810 euro inc delivery, hopefully I don't get another email saying no stock.
do you have a link where you ordered them from? i'm looking to get a set fairly soon.

cheers.

Think I'm going to go with the B14's as well. If they improve handling and reduce bounce £800 is a small price to pay. Sounds like the best choice for me.

It's shocking (pun intended) that you have to spend money, after buying an S3, to cure something that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Reactions: Stevier88 and Blackwhite
I don't find it boring at all, I find it tedious. Just one in a long list of things on my S3.

Should have bought a Golf R :D
The worse thing is you actually know what your talking about , get a compliant to Audi going or some thing pro active