Facelift S3 Electric Window Problem

Svenedin

Reaction score
Driving today I had a problem with the driver's window. The window was down but when I decided to close it the window went back up to the closed position and straight back down again. This happened half a dozen times. It was annoying because I had moved from town to a free moving A-road and an open window is not fun at 70 mph. Eventually I had to pull over. The window then went up and stayed up after another half dozen tries.

It seemed the window was winding back down due to some "anti finger chop off feature". I wondered whether there was excessive resistance against the seals.

I also worried what I would do trying to park a car with an open window. I could hardly leave it like that!

Anyway, if it happens again the car is going back to Audi for it to be fixed. I can't see an obvious problem. If relevant, it was a very hot day (for the UK at least). 30 C according to the car.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes I've had exactly the same problem, only it was chucking it down when I had it! I managed to get the window only a couple of mm from closed, but as soon as it got to the top it would fully open again. I've had a few occasions too where the full press on the button to fully open/close the windows has stopped working. I find that holding the button in the open position for a few seconds while the window is down resets the window electronics, though I'm not sure. Always seems to fix any problems I have.

Yeah, it's the anti finger trapping feature kicking in. It could be anything that causes it, bit of dirt in the seals, a small stone... it probably wont happen again for a while - just luck of the draw.

I usually reteach it the end stops to cure this issue. Use the first stage of the e/w switch rather than the 'one touch' & hold the switch until it gets all of the way to the top, continue holding for a couple of seconds (you usually hear a click from inside the door) & then do the same going down & hold until it clicks & that should resolve it.

Thank you for your replies. I will try the suggestions if the problem comes back.

Page 52 of my owners manual .....

IMG 4554

Reactions: Jassyo06, richinsoton and OST
Mine forgets the end stops a lot - manifests itself when I try to hold the unlock button to open all the windows because it's a boiling hot day and the inside of the car is at 1000 kelvin. The result is nothing occurs. ****** me off a lot.

Ok. I'll try that (but the battery has not been disconnected).

That’s the reset process regardless of what has caused the issue - fingers crossed it should work for you.

Confession.... l have never used any of the 4 electric windows in my car never, if l want some fresh air in the cab, l use the pano-roof lol

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68, Tom.H and 1 other person
Confession.... l have never used any of the 4 electric windows in my car never, if l want some fresh air in the cab, l use the pano-roof lol

:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Must look a bit odd reaching out the sunroof at car park ticket machines !!! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: richinsoton, Rideen, azibux1 and 1 other person
:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Must look a bit odd reaching out the sunroof at car park ticket machines !!! :tearsofjoy:
Never use em mate lol that's when I use er indoors car and come to think of it, she's due a new car at roughly the same time.....

Reactions: Rob2k68