S3 exhaust note vs 2.0T TT

newbiecrg

windsurfer
Reaction score
Hi what you think about the S3 exhaust note?

I was expecting the same sound as my friends TT which is slight more "racing" but instead in my S3, at least on the inside what I hear the most is the turbo and not a deep exhaust note like the TT. Both cars are standard I assumed exhaust system was the same... Anyone has more info on this?

I don't know how my car sounds on the outside as I've been driving it all time but it is a lot more discreet... Not worried about the sound but a "racing" sound note would be more pleasing..... yeah yeah... don't bring me R32... lol

Pedro

Find a tunnel wind the windows down and floor it, sounds awesome, quite deep and bassy much better than my 20TQ. Love It !!

Not heard 20TT on song so can't comment on that.

Mark

From my few brief drives, the cabin feels very well insulated and it's actually hard to hear the engine at all.It's no 6 cylinder, but then it's a lot better than my old diesel!!

Not been in a 2.0T TT, so don't know what they sound like. Not sure if the two cars have the same exhaust or not either. We need someone with the latest ETKA CD to take a look.

But I have been impressed with the S3's exhaust note since getting the car. However, I think the inside of the exhaust must be coking up now @ 1600miles (just look at how the inside of your tail-pipes get black). So I think the coking is reducing the sound a little now. It definitely isn't as raspy now, but still good.

I have only heard the noise of my cars exhaust from the inside of another car. The missus was driving the S3 down a dual carriageway, and I was in the Golf following directly behind. I could hear a faint roar and thought, "is that my car?", and it was. So I was pretty impressed that as we both ragged it down the dual carriageway, I could hear the noise of my car OVER the noise of the Golfs 1.8T (which has good induction noise of its own). :)

AL

PS: this S3 impresses me more and more every day. :)

I'm very happy with my S3 as well... I guess I have to let someone drive it.. ggrrr!! to listen the exhaust on the outside of the car...

Pedro

Shao_khan said:
@ Al B - I cant believe just how black how quick it does get - must be burning some oil, as its almost instantly black.

Yer not wrong there mate. If its like that all down the inside of the exhaust....yuk.

AL

The new 2.0T & 3.2 TT's have baffled exhausts . I'm not sure the S3 does!

what are those?

Also as any of you notice the chrome on the pipes going a bit yellowish?... I attribute that to the heat...

Another thing, is the standard exhaust stainless steel? How good is it? What I mean is that in some cases changing the exhaust for a so called performance one actually does less to performance... one example is with Honda engines, the standard exhaust is usually the best performance wise (not talking about removing kat, etc), probably not sound wise but within legal exhaust that is the case.... What about the standard S3 exhaust?

Tuners, please give us your insights...

Pedro

Think it has a flap/valve on the backbox too in order to make it sound better at certain revs, have a look under!

Need to hear my car on full chat from the outside.. just not sure who to hand the keys to for the driving honours ! ;)

-Sal-

I heard a 2.0 TT for the 1st time yesterday when I was out walking the dogs and was quite suprised how sporty the exhaust sounded and it didn't seem like it was being particularly pushed from what I could tell. Almost sounded like an aftermarket exhaust but it looked standard.

Matt said:
I heard a 2.0 TT for the 1st time yesterday when I was out walking the dogs and was quite suprised how sporty the exhaust sounded and it didn't seem like it was being particularly pushed from what I could tell. Almost sounded like an aftermarket exhaust but it looked standard.

That is exactly what I mean.... and although my S3 is faster, as a nice sound it doesn't have that quite "sporty" sound normally associated with fast cars. By no means I want a loud sound, just a proper one, at least on the inside. From the outside I don't really know...

Pedro

Well I've heard my S3 from the outside and can assure you they sound great. Maybe not exactly the same as a TT, but very simlar. I just think the S3 has a lot of sound proofing and a louder turbo sound!
Trust me, when someone gives it the beans and your outside it sounds great!!!! It surprised me, especially as my mum asked if she could go for a spin in it when I was visiting home!!! God bless her she has a heavy right foot!

jamiekip said:
Well I've heard my S3 from the outside and can assure you they sound great. !

Fellow S3 owner opposite me at the lights, silver in L/pool,(first one I have seen since getting mine) gave it the beans from the lights and it sounded ''awesome'' absolutely ''spinetingling'' made all the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. More than happy if mine sound as good. Which I am sure it does.
:thumbsup:

Mark