S3 faceflift "headlight range control defective"

Josh williams

Reaction score
Hi there, this has been coming up since i got the car (private) and i now want to get it fixed.

I've searched and found a few threads saying they just need to be reset through vag-com. Now my question is, has anyone got a definite answer for this?

Cheers :)

Im in peterborough! Would be greatful if there was!

Im also at Early Edition this weekend if anyone is going that could bring one!

youll need the adaptation done on the headlight leveller unit, or a replacement, that is if your level sensors or headlights are all kosher

Could you explain a bit more mate? Is there anything I can do?

the range control module is usually 'defective' if 1 of the 2 sensors on the axles become faulty or if there is something wrong with the auto levelling control module.

the sensors are located on the left side (passenger) front and rear axels

when the car is first turned on do you notice the headlights go up and down before settling or does it not do anything?

the issue could be fixed with a reset using VCDS or it may indeed need a replacement sensor but the best way to determine what is needed is to get the car scanned with VCDS to show what the exact error is.

if you wanted to have a look yourself you could always have a look behind the wheels and see if the sensors have their plugs connected and that they are attaached properly? the other thing you could do is take the sensors off and see if they move freely, to make sure they are not jammed in place

Reactions: Artimus
The headlights do not go up and down when the ignition is turned on!

had this a few weeks ago with mine, both headlight range & adaptation were giving DIS errors, along with no left\right or up\down movement! Audi replaced a sensor under warranty. Turn the lights on before you switch the ignition on to see if they dip\rise.

Mine had this error soon after buying car. VCDS identified is as the front NS sensor which attaches to the wishbone.
Dead easy to change. Sensor was about £70 from Audi.
Also while having tyres changed, they found a slight buckle in the Front NS wheel. Which ties in with the duff sensor..

If you are in Lincoln sometime, drop by to use my VCDS.

Thanks for the offer!

looks like I may have to buy a vcds though :(

Wanted to resurrect this post as I have just got the same issue. My car is quite low and she has been fine until I hit a small bump on the motorway the other day - not a pothole or anything significant - I did have a boot full of stuff so she was quite tail heavy - but as soon as I hit this bump, the dash lit up and its driving me nuts! Plus in the dark, I would be better off with a torch......

I have checked the links on the control arms and they are all attached front and rear. What else is there to check? I do have VCDS as well......

Any help greatly appreciated.

Wanted to resurrect this post as I have just got the same issue. My car is quite low and she has been fine until I hit a small bump on the motorway the other day - not a pothole or anything significant - I did have a boot full of stuff so she was quite tail heavy - but as soon as I hit this bump, the dash lit up and its driving me nuts! Plus in the dark, I would be better off with a torch......

I have checked the links on the control arms and they are all attached front and rear. What else is there to check? I do have VCDS as well......

Any help greatly appreciated.
Front and Rear N\S wishbone have an electro-mechanical sensor on it which sets the headlight range, the linkage on that sensor can get over-extended (much like Ibrahimovic's current knee injury - google it if you're not into footie ;)) when you hit something a bit too hard or fast and the suspension stretches out to its limit. If you're lucky - like I once was - one's been over-extended and is jammed in place backwards it'll just need freeing by hand after taking the weight off it with a jack. If a link is broken you'll need to replace it, but it doesn't look a hard job to do.

Attached Images shamelessly borrowed from th' tinternet.

Rearheightsensor Front Sensor

Thanks for the post. Ran VAGCOM and it said the rear sensor was faulty, so jacked the rear up and checked the links and it was all fine. Free moving and all good.

Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet for £148 for the sensor.....?

Hi people,

I’m new to the forum & realise this is an old thread but hoping someone can help me out.

I’ve recently changed the drivers side headlight on my Audi A3 black edition (DRL xenon) due to my old one being damaged, so I bought one off eBay that had come off an A3 also, fitted it on the weekend gone.. come to turn the engine over to see if it was all good & I have an error coming up on the dash ‘headlight range control defective’ & also on turning the engine over the headlights have stopped the auto levelling/adjusting that they usually do.. so can anyone help me out as to what’s gone wrong here please..

Thanks in advance, Sam.

Hi people,

I’m new to the forum & realise this is an old thread but hoping someone can help me out.

I’ve recently changed the drivers side headlight on my Audi A3 black edition (DRL xenon) due to my old one being damaged, so I bought one off eBay that had come off an A3 also, fitted it on the weekend gone.. come to turn the engine over to see if it was all good & I have an error coming up on the dash ‘headlight range control defective’ & also on turning the engine over the headlights have stopped the auto levelling/adjusting that they usually do.. so can anyone help me out as to what’s gone wrong here please..

Thanks in advance, Sam.
Be worth having a look at the Vcd's map to see if there is a member close to you willing to do an autoscan for u usually a few beer tokens and see if the scan comes back with some faults .
I did notice that @Ash187 commented in the post so worth having a look at his part as he is a well liked retrofitted who knows his Sh*t

Hi people,

Thanks in advance, Sam.

Sam, Shot in the dark here...

I have the same problem on my Audi A3 2009 Black Edition. Did you ever get this sorted? I recently replaced the passengers headlight. But the light seemed to have came on after a I hit a bump on the road.

Thanks in advance!

Conor