S3 For Sale, impending fatherhood.....

StaffsS3

Flat Out
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well it's been an interesting few weeks. After 9 years of being married and not wanting kids we are now expecting our first......and our lives to be tipped upside down.

Sadly I really don't think my S3 and the wifes MX5 are going to be very practical family buses. Thinking of getting an A4 Diesel Avant Sport instead for the family. Dreading getting rid of the S3, I had it mapped within 3 days of buying it and have never looked back. Will be selling in the Spring, so if anyone is after a late 2001 S3 (265bhp) in black metallic with BOSE, half grey alcantara, genuine polished mirrors and only 60k with FASH and cambelt done etc, get in touch.

Any recommendations for which oil burner to go for would be appreciated.......... I never thought this would happen........:bye:

Many congrats mate. I've got to agree with Aky. Get a 330d Touring, once on the motorway there's not many motors that can keep up with it, including them open mouthed M3 drivers!

It's definately on my own list for the next car.

Dont panic fella! Kids are great. The S3 boot is not the best, but dont think you need a Mareva or Zafira out the box with an ankel biter, we are managing with our largest car being a mk4 golf with ours, she's 4 months now. When they get bigger and want to go further with more stuff an estate will be on the cards, but I reckon it will be a few months off still. If you have only just found out you could do another year or so with the s3!

Congrats to you both btw.

Congratulations & goodluck =)

A6 Avant TDI Quattro all the way

Congrtats, at least you ain't shooting blanks!

Had the same dilema myself, in the end we kept the S3 and went for a Skoda Octavia VRS instead of an A4 Estate. The boot on the VRS is fcuking huge and when we compared it to a A4 estate *seats down in both cases the VRS just swallowed everything unlike the A4. Also for the money it was a no contest, yes the badge is one thing but the build quality is excellent and the fact that it came with a full manufacturer warranty for 2 more years was billy bonus. If you want an oil burner the new VRS 2.0 PD is good value for money.

Congrats bud, also consider the B5/5.5 Passat Estate TDI mate, fantastic value for money, and bigger than an A4 slightly, it's somewhere between an A4 and A6, I would try and keep the S3 and change the MX5 for a family car, unless finance is your stunbling block to keep it. My boy is 3.5 now, and he loves the S3. :)

Hate to say it, but if you want a big estate car, best value out there is from Dagenham! ! Mundaneo anyone! ! Huge, cheap, great drive,reliable and cheap! Did I mention they were cheap.......important when a sprog arrives!

simch said:
Hate to say it, but if you want a big estate car, best value out there is from Dagenham! ! Mundaneo anyone! ! Huge, cheap, great drive,reliable and cheap! Did I mention they were cheap.......important when a sprog arrives!

Cheap yes, I don't doubt it, but Audi's and Passat's in general are built like a tank compared to a Mondeo... I know which car I'd prefer to ferry my littl'un around in. ;)

jojo said:
Cheap yes, I don't doubt it, but Audi's and Passat's in general are built like a tank compared to a Mondeo... I know which car I'd prefer to ferry my littl'un around in. ;)

For an estate, the mondeo is just better. Not better when price is taken into account etc, better period! No quattro version now I dont think, but they are still a super family car and proper affordable too.
Ford have really had their sxxt together since the original focus in 1998! There is a reason the focus and mondeo are class leaders.

I have not been close up with the new model yet, but the last two model estate cars have been belters. Kick a passat's butt all day long!

:salute: Cheers guys for the good wishes. Still getting my head around coping without the power. To be honest if I really wanted I could cycle the 5 miles to work and run just the one car, but where's the fun in that?

I suppose I know I'm getting old and responsible when I start admiring estate cars. There's no way I'm buying a people carrier after ripping the **** out of several mates who have bought them. Not my thing at all.

How the hell did families cope without MPV's and Chelsea Tractors in days of old?!!! We seemed to manage in my Dad's Sierra OK (ish)!