S3 front speakers replacement

Pinola

Reaction score
As i'm finding it hard to find a replacement front speaker (BOSE 8L0 035 411) for my s3, what could I use to replace them? Straight swap not much messing about and sounds just as good or better than the bose ones

I ordered some Front BOSE speakers off ebay last week (see pics) and when they got here :( wrong ones dont know what they fit but it's not my car

imag0096l.jpg

imag0100a.jpg

Anyone want them £20 the pair

Those are the fisher price Bose rear speakers you have there. Bose quality through and through.
There are no front components that are a straight plug & play install on the A3/S3. You need adapters to fit anything even a 4" component, but you can go up to 5.25" if they are slim fit (less than 54mm deep). Ideally you also need 2ohm rated components otherwise you'll have half the power output from them. A good install is as important as the speakers you fit, but with Bose you can still end up with little if any quality improvement because of the compatibility with the Bose EQ on the Bose amp. Worth a try though. These Infinitys are decent for the money:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=REF5030CS
You might want to check the depth. But whatever you fit ensure you use MDF adapters not the Autoleads plastic garbage.

cheers thanks andy i am a little thick could you please point me to the adapters i would need to fit them speakers :)

"Those are the fisher price Bose rear speakers you have there" is that the crap i have in the back of the s3 then?

Hi All,

My first post as I've only joined recently!

I have just ordered some MDF mounts from AndyMac for the front of my S3 as the original Bose speakers have given up. I've been reading the forum with interest and it really is difficult to find a speaker that will fit (depth-wise). Andy says there is 54mm of depth available.

I have found the Inifinity Kappa range which have a mounting depth of 55mm, has anyone scraped a little off their mounts and managed to fit these in?

I really do want to keep it 2 ohm impedance as 4 ohm will do the volume no good.

Also I've found that most manufacturers produce 2-way speakers whereas we only need to put a component mid in to replace the Bose 4" speaker.

Enough of my rambling; anyone managed to find a component 5.25" speaker with mounting depth 54mm or less that doesn't cost a fortune???

Chris you do need to replace the tweeters as well as these will give you a noticeable improvement at the top end. The ones fitted to the Bose system are not even Bose but the same as the standard Nokia rubbish fitted to non Bose.

Ahhhh, I learn more every time I visit.

So something like the Fidelity 2 ohm Kappa 50.7's or 50.9's with separate mid & tweeter and a new crossover sounds about right??? (These have a mounting depth of 55mm though, so will need squeezing in).

To show further ignorance; is it likely that just about any replacement tweeter will fit in to replace the existing Noddy ones? Or will I need a new mount for these?

You should be OK, 54mm will fit, so 55 should be fine.
Anything 1" or smaller will just slot in. Anything smaller will just need some foam trim tape or similar wrapped round it to stop it rattling about.

Excellent, where would I be without you Andy (well I'd just be sitting in the S3 with the fader set to rear, with the c**p Bose subwoofer casing reverberating like a big flimsy plastic pile of poo that it is, feeling sorry for myself... and wondering how long it is going to take for the AA to get here to replace yet another coil pack for me)