S3 Gearbox tweak

Miguel_S#

Reaction score
hello people

what can you do to make the gearbox more short??

thanks

hello people

what can you do to make the gearbox more short??

thanks

I presume you mean shorter throws between gears?

Buy a short shifter. Awesomegti sell a few different types, I got the forge one, haven't installed it yet

Shorter gear ratios? Do you have a 5 speed or 6 speed?

It's going to be a lot of work

The 6 speed's ratios are already quite close. What aren't you happy about with your current gear ratios?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the diesel box has shorter ratios? You could possibly do some swapping of gears between the two boxes? I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in

6 speed is already short... you can change the final drives (there are two on an 02M box) to alter the ratios... the R32 turbo boys do this to get longer ratios overall as the ratios are just too short when you start having lots of power... typically they use TDi final drive ratios...

If you google "02M gear box workshop manual" you should get hits on elsa extracts etc on info for doing the work

You could also look at SQS gear kits
http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/179:200:dog-kit-box-02m-02q-competition-gears

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Miguel_S#
@<tuffty/> When you do your gearbox Paul are you going to strengthen the crown wheel rivets? Is there a kit you can buy for this? Also, do you plan on strengthening the shift forks?

@<tuffty/> When you do your gearbox Paul are you going to strengthen the crown wheel rivets? Is there a kit you can buy for this? Also, do you plan on strengthening the shift forks?

02M doesn't seem to suffer from the crown wheel rivet issue like 02J's do but I will most likely need to swap parts of the diff out anyway as I will need to use the AWD diff cage so I will either use ARP if they do a suitable kit or the OE repair kit they do...

As for the forks... I will either strengthen the originals or use the OE steel ones from the later 6 speed box... in fairness I will prob go for the steel ones as its not a job I want to repeat really.. more expense but clearly VAG realised it was an issue using riveted brass forks :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Alex C and Miguel_S#
sorry my bad english
i want a fast gearbox not a top speed gearbox

02M01

02M02

Not all the codes but in this example the highest 02M in this overall ratio is 3.215:1

Think you will be struggling to get higher without going custom...

You could also learn to use the gears you have or add more power ;P

<tuffty/>

Like tuffty said, the gears are already very short. If you add some more power that should solve all your problems, and should be an easier option.

As Jeremy Clarkson would say "POWERRRRRRRRRR"

thanks for the info

EFY at 8000rpm
1 - 67
2 - 108
3 - 154
4 - 198
5 - 246
6 - 297

FHA at 8000 rpm

1 - 67
2 - 108
3 - 159
4 - 209
5 - 262
6- 315

You could go down the double clutch route, if your really clever and have very deep pockets. I'm sure quafe or the gearbox man could point you in the right direction in your quest.

i have 225/40/17 its 3,5% short than the oem 225/45/17

FMN gearbox from a BAM engine
can someone know the ratios?

Last edited:
i went to google but i dont find.

tuffy you are fantastic, kind regards

yes in your PC in my PC is diferent
Try to do same search in other PC and you will see that is very diferent.
Google trace a profile from your PC......
thanks

Must be just you then dude as I gave that link to a few friends on facebook and it still came out third link down...

<tuffty/>

I think its google localization tuffty. As google for my country gives me diferent resoults than where i live at the moment.

Reactions: Jenno007