S3 - Goodyear Eagle F1 vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4

0B1001001

Reaction score
My Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's were at the end of their lives (all 4 worn down equally, which was convenient) so decided to swap them out for something else.

Decided to try the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4, as have seen good reviews of them.

Got them fitted a couple of days ago and my immediate impressions are:

• Improved front end grip - better than the F1's, even when they were brand new. Understeer has reduced nicely
  • Slightly quieter
  • Seem to absorb the bumps better
  • MPG seems the same (so far, too soon to say)
  • Slightly less rim protection than F1's
  • Cost about £20/tyre more than the F1's
  • The wheels are actually correctly balanced now (Audi fitted the F1's and failed miserably to get this right (despite 2 attempts) - at higher speeds, the unoccupied passenger seat would "wobble". That's completely gone now). The Michelins were not fitted by Audi...
  • Running at 39PSI front, 37PSI rear

So, all-in-all, I'm really impressed with these - got a long run to do starting today, so will get a chance to really shake them down (but I won't be about to answer any questions, sorry!).

Reactions: ammo-mcr, Bittern, Cymru09 and 3 others
My brother works as a tyre fitter and he says Michelins balance up better than any other make. They always fit less weights to the rims with Michelin tyres.

Thanks for the comparison and report, I'm currently running F1 A2, my next tyre was going to be PSS but lookslike the new PS4 are an improvement over them.

I ran F1s on my Scirocco and hated them. I changed to Nankangs and loved them. Strange that a bottom end mid-budget tyre would be so much better than high end tyre.

Reactions: sentinal13 and davc
I found they went off really quickly and were past their prime after a couple of thousand miles. Not worth the money.

Here's some pics of the OP tyre review to show the tread and side wall

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4

How about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ?(which has got really good reviews)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on white

Last edited:
I am so annoyed as the PS4 were only £75 each 2 weeks ago, now they are £88+ :-(

So an update on these after about 1,300 miles (already!):

• Less understeer
  • Road noise also less (not much but it's there)
  • Wet grip better (absolutely carved through deep water)
  • Definitely more compliant a ride
  • MPG slightly worse
  • Not nail resistant - 1 x new tyre after 4 days - hey ho!
All in all, very happy and would recommend these tyres.

Reactions: S.
I am so annoyed as the PS4 were only £75 each 2 weeks ago, now they are £88+ :-(

£75 for 18s? I'm looking forward to going down in size in that case. I was almost £165 per corner for tyres for my 19s

Reactions: PhatGit
Just seen that. Shame, they're awesome!
.........know what you mean. Had all the Conti sport range over the years & I rate them. Would have been nice to try the sport 6 the other week when I changed tyres but they only start in 19''. Shame.

Reactions: The_Notorious_C_A_T and batch
I ran F1s on my Scirocco and hated them. I changed to Nankangs and loved them. Strange that a bottom end mid-budget tyre would be so much better than high end tyre.

Were they just the standard F1's, rather than the F1 Asymmetric 2 Scotty? I've heard there's a pretty big difference between the two, with the F1's being particularly poor...

@DrEskimo yeah. Those were the ones. Didn't rate them at all. They came on the wheels when I changed up from 18s to 20s and still had 7-8mm left on them. Very poor noise wise and also no confidence in the wet. The ones on my Scirocco were 18s F1s. The 20s were on an Insignia.

The test linked to above said they were equal bottom for cabin noise...

Loved the F1 Assy 2's really transformed the car but having experienced FK452's with tracking/alignment waaaaaay out I think any tyre would be better.

I stilll think the F1 Assy 2's perform better than the Conti's (is it CS5? cba checking :/) that come with the S3.

Thing I hate about these threads it makes the choice even harder!

I run 38 all round.

Before anyone else says it; holy thread resurrection, Batman.

Right, now that's done I'd like to share my PS4 experience. They're definitely better than the PS3s, although I've not done a direct comparison due to experiencing the older tyre on a Golf, not this car, but they seem grippier and hang on better in the corners. They are a good all rounder having decent grip in the dry and the wet. This is where it all falls down, though. They aquaplane like crazy over standing water. Tis a heart racing experience and I never can make my mind up which to clench the hardest, the steering wheel or my bew tocks!

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'm sure if they tried again on the A361 between Frome and Shepton Mallet in an A3 in the peeing rain, rather than at a test track where Michelin are buying lunch, they'd reconsider.

After they had their grundies laundered obviously...

Reactions: perazzi
I have ps4's and they are incredible both wet and dry. no issues with standing water and aquaplaning. and we do have poor roads with lots of standing water when raining.

I'm sure if they tried again on the A361 between Frome and Shepton Mallet in an A3 in the peeing rain, rather than at a test track where Michelin are buying lunch, they'd reconsider.

After they had their grundies laundered obviously...

Which part of the road did you have difficulty with ?

I'd be more concerned with quarried stone flicking up and smashing a windscreen or denting a bonnet and when following traffic getting the short section of dual carriageway timed right for overtaking .

The latest tyrereview of MPS4 on
6th November has the only mention of aquaplaning performance out of the 38 reviews .

"These are the best tyre ive had yet for Aquaplaning "

And his previous recent tyres were MPS3 and Continental Sport Contact 5 .

If there were a problem with aquaplaning MPS4 , 38 people would not have adveraged to achieve the 97% wet grip score .

Interested to hear how you get on as they are supposed to replace the super sports albeit the rumour is they perhaps aren't quite as "sporty" as the old super sports and more resemble the old sports. I have MPSS on my fronts and will swap the rears to same once they wear down (OE is P Zero).

TX.

MPS4 are not replacing MPSS , however they will outperform MPSS in everyday situations .

MPSS are being replaced by MPS4S which are available early 2017 .

Reactions: S. and Terminator x
Which part of the road did you have difficulty with ?

I'd be more concerned with quarried stone flicking up and smashing a windscreen or denting a bonnet and when following traffic getting the short section of dual carriageway timed right for overtaking .

Sounds like you know the area?!

One of the worst bits is between Doulting and the Cranmore crossroads, but the whole road's like driving down a river in heavy rain. My Golf, which was heavier and AWD would take this water in its stride, but the A3 just seems to skim over the top. To be (slightly) fair though, it did it on the OEM Contis, too, but they only had 2-3mm of tread on them...

I've tried keeping my foot down and lifting off, but it doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference.

I swear by michelins ... I have always used PS3's and my god they have never let me down in Wet!!

I wont use anything else!

Funnily enough it wasn't too bad. I work nights and the rain had pretty much stopped by the time I left for work at 5pm...