S3. Help car turns over but will not fire up

John ler

Reaction score
Hi gays as title , I have a 2009/10 s3 that I bought with a few tlc and problems, Ive sorted some problems out and finally got the car to turn over on the key, but it will not start or fire up, battery's fine I can hear the fuel pump but will not fire up, also my clusters will not light up unless I push one of the buttons in on the front, and then it lights up the clocks ( the digital parts ) up only then go's out after a few seconds , could anyone help me with the starting issues also any,help on the clusters would help, I haven't had it plugged I to a diagnostics as I don't have Vagcom or anything like that, I live near York Harrogate if anybody does have anything to plug into it that lives near to me pease let me no , cheers

As you have said you will need vagcom as the immobilzer is on the coil packs on vag cars and not the fuel pump

My ****** laptop went in for repairs before crimbo, and just found out its not repairable so ill need to buy another one. Where's best place to get vagcom, I have a rosstech lead but its no USB it's something I haven't seen for a while its a gen lead but ill need to get a converter end for it,

I've bought this car after some one else has had a play with it, is there any way on knowing if the clock are the original and not second hand ones ( I'm not sure if clock are coded to key and any other ecu) because they just don't light up, thanks for your help

My ****** laptop went in for repairs before crimbo, and just found out its not repairable so ill need to buy another one. Where's best place to get vagcom, I have a rosstech lead but its no USB it's something I haven't seen for a while its a gen lead but ill need to get a converter end for it,

I've bought this car after some one else has had a play with it, is there any way on knowing if the clock are the original and not second hand ones ( I'm not sure if clock are coded to key and any other ecu) because they just don't light up, thanks for your help

Pm nhn on here for a price for vcds he is dealer
a scan will show the codes for every module and fault codes do you have another key to try

Hi gays ?

Lol sorry couldn't resist .

Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: WALTO TDI, wuta3 and autolatry
even if it wasn't the original cluster it should still all light up as normal. If it wasn't coded to the car then it would display "SAFE" where it usually shows mileage instead of the old car with key through it immob symbol.

Check all the fuses etc for the cluster

Thanks Craig's that's made me feel a little better, I just wondered if there was the chassis no on them anywhere

have you got the owners manual with fuse info for your S3? Someone else on here has got th4e exact same problem but they don't have a owners manual. I know fuse 15 is for the instruments but there's sometimes 2 fuses listed for instruments. I've done a quick google but can't find fuse layout for 8p!

Also the chassis number is stored in the eeprom of the cluster which can be changed during coding replacement cluster into the car

Hi Craig no m8 I haven't got any books with this car, so I'm stuck . I've spent hours searching on the Internet, also I've found a connector under the carpet on the passengers side that was corroded, but ave no idea if its meant to be connected to anything or if its just a spare on the loom, it's not for the seats as the airbag one is the and connected also the heated seat one is there and connected, this wire has got me baffled ( I'm not sure if its meant to have anything attached to it) maybe immobiliser ??? No idea cheers for your help

def not for immob. The immob is coded through the cluster to the ECU. Have a look at fuse 15 in the cabin fuse box. It may have become badly oxidized. When checking fuses i always give them a rub down with sand paper to remove any oxidization. Had this with a Bora I recently went to that wouldn't start & cluster wasn't working.

Turned out he'd been messing with the fuses & it'd stopped working since then. All i did was remove a load of fuses, rub them down with SP then put them back in & the cluster worked & it started straight away

Was at the car today for a little play and a guy was there who was running a diagnostics on one of his car, so I asked him if he could plug it into my s3, it turns out there is no power to the engine (ECU) anyone got any ideas on where to go now

Last edited:
What kind of diagnostic tool did he use? VCDS/VAG COM?

Did you get any fault codes?

It was a snap-on one the big red looking one, he just said its not getting any power to the engine ecu said he can't comunicat with the car ,

Where can I get hold of a good version of vagcom or what ever I need, I have a gen Ross-tech lead , but at the moment need to buy another laptop as mine packed in just before crimbo, if the body control module( CECM) packed in would that do the same no power to ecu and stop it starting , thanks

Ah ok, If you have the lead you can download the 'lite' software here:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Downloads: Current Release and Manual

I was asking because I have a similar issue but it's with a TDI, the clocks will go off when the car is cranked continuously but will not start. My issue is with 2 sensors crankshaft position sensor and engine speed sensor.

BTW you wrote in your first post

"Hi gays as title ,"

lmao, the childish side of me found that amusing!

If you cant get comms with engine try unpluging the clocks and checking again. if that talks then the cluster is the issue. You can also read measuring block 125 to check comms status in the cluster or ecu.

If no reading at all check fuses as suggested.

Bit of a mine field tbh with a car bought in this condition, is there any other work been completed that may or may not seem relevant?

I'm in need of the wiring diagram for the engine and the engine ecu, I need to find the wire that sends power to the engine ecu and where it comes from so I can go from there, I will be sending my ecu off to get tested , not sure if I can do the same with the clusters and the CECM, also need to no which wire send power up to the cluster, if anyone can help e please let me no, thanks

Yeah would be no problem there this guy said start there , first rule out ecu and then go from there ( said £30 charge on testing ecu )

ok. First available day i've got is Friday. Can also do Saturday at the moment but that could change quickly as Saturday is usually 1 of my busiest days. I was meant to be having Saturday off to go to a family get together but it's been cancelled

Thanks m8 I'm just going to try a few things today, checking relays work properly etc cheers ill let you no how I get on thanks again

I'm in need of the wiring diagram for the engine and the engine ecu, I need to find the wire that sends power to the engine ecu and where it comes from so I can go from there, I will be sending my ecu off to get tested , not sure if I can do the same with the clusters and the CECM, also need to no which wire send power up to the cluster, if anyone can help e please let me no, thanks

Hi John

How are you getting on with the car?

Phil

Hi guys its not going to well, I've had a little play today, checked all relays and they are working fine, I have no idea which relay is the main one for the engine ecu , this repay should turn on the power on the turn of the key, but I have no idea which it is or it's location, I've plugged an obd port code reader and I can say there is nothing at the port, so anything plugged into it will not comunicat with the car, I'm really stuck now, normally when this reader is plugged in it will normally light up and start reading , but it will not light up, so looks to me as no power to the obd port, also still no clocks/clusters. I put some fuel in it thinking that might have had something to do with it as I've had not clusters to tell me if there was any fuel in the car, ( which should have been my first port of call) I really could do with a wireing diagram for the S3 2010 model, if anyone can get this for me or post a link where to look at it from, also there's a module under the steering column ( can anyone tell me what this does ie clusters or anything ) thanks guys

Really thinking about sending my ecu off also clusters and if its possible to have the CECM or body control module , or what ever its called that runs every think in car ie immobiliser / comfort control module

Many thanks and could really do with looking at the main fuse box under the bonnet, even a photo of one, and same on the relays under the drivers dash

Hi phil is your car an S3 m8, could maybe pop over and just look at your fuse box under the bonnet, to see if the relays I have are in the right place, thanks