S3 knock, maybe engine mounts?

Gary_808

Reaction score
So, I'm still quite green to my s3 and today just thought I'd give the haldex a bit of a work out see if it actually works,

Well it certainly works!!

But I've acquired a rotational knock, after I felt a couple of thuds (quality description)
Only if I put my foot down in first and maybe for a split second if I shift hard into second,

I'm thinking engine mounts,
I can feel it in the foot area, so maybe he engines moving and props catching? Or something?
I do have the uprated dog mount on order any way before it even started,

What do you reckon to my theory?

I'm thinking the drive shafts are fine cause if I full lock it etc and drive around nothing.
And it's does take some effort to get it to make the noise.

Sorry I'm new to 4wd systems etc all my cars prior have been fwd so alot more simple!

Cheers

I hope this too lol!
I'll have to crank the welder up!
I'm expecting the mount any day so fingers crossed! I'm looking at uprating the top two as well!

My gearbox/engine mount had some movement which didn't sound too bad at all, very intermittent, not much play at all really. I was going to swap it over Christmas but the bolts ended up shearing off a few weeks ago! Get a big screw driver in there and see how much movement you have as the new one has a tiny amount of give, like 1mm, and getting the bolts out of the gearbox is proving difficult as you can imagine.

My dog bone mount arrived yesterday so I'll get on with fitting that this weekend,
I've been toying with ordering uprated engine and gearbox mounts, (vibra technic)
I think I'll order them too atleast then I know they're done.

I'll check the play in them this afternoon as well, if it's too bad I'll call the mrs car into duty!