S3 - Lowering Springs

Oli.

Reaction score
Has anyone lowered their S3 with springs and not coilovers, without sacrificing the ride too much? And if so what springs work well with it?

Cheers

Hi Oli

I Have done MUCH re-search into this, and spoke with many performance centres, Awesome GTI etc etc.

The only one that is available by the looks of it are H&R springs, they lower the S3 by about 25 ish mm, and they sit really well after fitment apparently.

Mine is booked in at Awesome GTI on March 3rd for fitting, along with 10mm spacers all round.

Hope this helps :icon_thumright:

Lee

What have they said the ride is like? Do you have any pics?

I have a two boys and a wife, and am concerned tht when loaded up the ride will be poor. I am fitting 19's Black CH's, so lowering is a must. My 335D touring has H & R springs and they are good, but a bit too crashy over potholes - It isnt like this on the saloon 335D - And I dont want to ruin the S3's ride like this??

I would be interested in seeing pics of an S3 with these springs fitted - but am interested in does it make the rear springs react any quicker than standard ones, as I find it seems a bit slow to react at times - and then crashes over bumps.

Richard

I don't get the car till 1st March, springs fitted on the 3rd, so will post pics straight after!

Believe the ride is not much different than standard springs, but will let you know.
Lee

We've had alot of good response to them. We supplied JamS3 with some H&R springs not too long ago, i'm sure he'll be along soon and tell you what they're like.

Damian @ DPM

Hi, I have had H&R springs fitted to my S3 since the day she rolled off the show room floor! Springs are awesome but the ride tends to be a bit hard especially with 19" wheels. Below are pics of my car :

01012007034.jpg

56-1.jpg

P1030331.jpg

P1000382.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

IMG_8758.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Looks lovely that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If i got the H & R springs and put them on with the std wheels , but at a later date wanted 19's , would i have to chage springs again?

p

phantom said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Looks lovely that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If i got the H & R springs and put them on with the std wheels , but at a later date wanted 19's , would i have to chage springs again?

p

Thanks mate.

Nope the springs stay so you can just swop your wheels:icon_thumright:

Great looking car rabbit222.

Whats the ride like going over potholes etc? Is it crashy?

Any help much appreciated? What size are your CH's 19x? and are you running 235? ANy rubbing issues

Sorry for all the questions,but I like to get everything right, before I do it

many thanks

here is my old S3 with the standard rims lowered on H&R springs, had the ARB's fitted too.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

I have 10mm spacers on front and back too

I found the ride spot on, just firms it up nicely

Where is the best place to get spacers from?
How much are the H&R springs?

I want to lower the car and push out the wheels a little to give it a squatter stance :rockwoot:

the spacers were H&R 10mm, I had the ARB's and springs all done at the same time. Speak with AwesomeGTI, did a spot on job. I think all in all it was £1k (spacers,springs and arbs)

One thing that no one has answered for me yet, is with the H & R springs, what is it like over potholes and imperfections in the road? I dont want to fi the springs if I have to play doge the pothole etc, because of the crashy suspension

many thanks

I have just the H & R springs on with spacers front and rear all supplied by Damian at DPM.

It looks far better and also handles better so much so I'm not going to bother with coilover and in repsponse to your question Oli.H it does firm the ride up but only slightly, potholes and bumps are still bearable!

Cheers Jam. I have H & R's on my 335D, and it just thumps through pot holes, which isnt a pleasant experience!!!

Definately putting H & R's on my S3 when I get it. I have one on demo for a week starting tomorrow to confirm if I want to go for one or not?!

But why put coilovers on when springs are suffice!!!!!

Maybe no bodies listening because you are like a stuck record.....ha ha - Dont take offence to that

fundamentally coilovers are the same as springs and dampers but with height adjustment and maybe damping adjustment

if you get the right spring rate/height - and user experience tells us which ones are ok/too low /too hard, then unless you track the car you are very unlikely to ever adjust the height.

after that its just getting a good damper that works well with the springs/car rate, possibly adjustable but again for most users we want a fit/forget good road compromise.

my rs 4 had h&r pcs coilovers but they were too uncompromising for road use - if you softened the damping to increase comfort then the springs were underdamped and you could tell with the handling. stiffening them up loosened my fillings and threatened my marriage!
i swapped them for springs and koni non-adjustables and the road manners and comfort were drastically improved without any underdamping or wallowing

and of course the springs/damper route is usually cheaper.

if the coilover kits actually bothered to adjust the geometry such as adding negative camber then i could see that they would be worth the extra possibly

Oli.H said:
Cheers Jam. I have H & R's on my 335D, and it just thumps through pot holes, which isnt a pleasant experience!!!

Definately putting H & R's on my S3 when I get it. I have one on demo for a week starting tomorrow to confirm if I want to go for one or not?!

Definitely is thumpy over potholes but other than that...they work a charm. My CHs are 19s and tyres are 235/35/19s. I had to remove 2 screws on each rear arch due to a bit of touching. Sorts the problem out immediately.