S3 manual to S tronic anybody??

style30

Reaction score
Hello... Has anyone has gone from manual to S tronic in the S3... I kinda like autos mainly the clutch around town is a bit wearing after a while.but Iv read that it can kinda be frustating... Not had time for a test drive as second hand ones are few and fare between where I live until the local dealer gets one for me to test drive... cheers

S

I went from a manual to a DSG because i was getting ****** off with the clutch in traffic and around town

Much nicer to drive

I have always been a die hard manual fan but now that Revo have introduced DSG software I'd consider the DSG next time around, just so much more relaxing when in traffic.

The DSG software makes it a 'true' manual when using the paddles rather than the OEM DSG map that changes for you by default.

I think the S3 in Revo remapped format would be superb.

With audi trying to cram more and more gears in a box i would think that 6 or 7 speed would have to be DSG or you will never be in the right gear !! I borrowed a A4 recently and it drove me made telling me when to change gear and had i obeyed it i recon the 10 mile drive along one road i do daily would have involved 30-40 gear changes,,,, Gone are the days of put it in 4th and leave it there :bye:i

Spin...what you on about..OEM DSG map that changes for you by default ?? It will not change unless you are well in the Red or kangarooing along at 10mph in 7th .

Just sold a DSG-7 ibiza bocanegra, I'd say 50% of the reason is that I've wanted an S3 for ages and all the other cars I've owned before vastly out performed the seat more so than I thought they would initially (that bugged me) and the other 50% was definetly the fact I wanted a manual again-the DSG is flawless don't get me wrong but I could never enjoy it as much as a manual simply because you don't do very much,you're not as involved and without proper control of a clutch I never really felt 100% in control.

Before all the DSG squad slaughter me I have big respect for the system all I'm saying is if your buying the car purely for enjoyment then its probably best you stick with a manual, but if there are compromises (commutes etc) then go for DSG.

I drove a DSG A3 2.0 TFSI before the S3.

Do I miss the DSG? - Mostly no. The only time I feel like I would want it is during a traffic jam.

In the end I found that I became bored of the DSG in my A3. It is a great and incredibly precise box but for it it simply lacks involvement. I get much more satisfaction executing a well timed change in a manual box than I ever did by flicking the paddle with the DSG.

Spin...what you on about..OEM DSG map that changes for you by default ?? It will not change unless you are well in the Red or kangarooing along at 10mph in 7th .

The OEM version does shift up/down quite early, well before the red line anyway.

The OEM version does shift up/down quite early, well before the red line anyway.

Thats a problem with the diesels it seems. the 3.2 dosnt so i doubt the S3 will. Quite the opposite actually, before the remap my car would bounce off the rev limiter before it changed. Now it changes on the red line exactly. Either way if it really matters to you just keep the paddle pulled back and it should hold the gear your in anyway.

Last edited:
My last S3 was a manual and now i've got an S-tronic. Was something I deliberated over for quite some time, had 3 test drives in the end. I made the right choice for me though, really enjoying the car. Gear changes are awesomely quick, great around town or when stuck in motorway traffic jams, really fun in full manual/paddle mode. Yes, there is a slight pause when pulling away but you soon adapt and I hardly notice it now. Overall, really impressed.

I think the main point here is that only "you" the individual can decide which you will prefer. Make sure you go out for a long test drive with DSG and base your decision on how you feel.

It should be fine with a remap. There are loads of remapped DSG K04s out there and I have yet to hear of any that have had problems coping with the extra torque.

As far as Revo is concerned they have not released the DSG mapping software yet for the S3 K04 (new cars) - the newer version software has been encrypted by Audi and Revo are currently working around this. Cant wait:)

I was told that it would be near imposable to remap soon with the new encryption. I was also told that , manufacturers were leaning hard on the government to stop insurance company's insuring remaped cars. Realistically there is good reason why they don't want their cars remaped as its sure to impact on reliability over the longer time which reflects badly on the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I have a DSG 140 TDI Aleta and an 08 S3 Manual and i have to say whilst i love the DSG to bits i would never have it in an S3 type car. It has to be manual if you want to feel proper 'in control'.

I have a DSG 140 TDI Aleta and an 08 S3 Manual and i have to say whilst i love the DSG to bits i would never have it in an S3 type car. It has to be manual if you want to feel proper 'in control'.

Sorry mate disagree. Whether manual or DSG, its how you apply the transmission you've got. The DSG will change a lot quicker than anyone can do manually. Even for "Supercars" it is getting harder to find a manual option. All seem to be going to DSG for that reason. I suppose at the end of the day it is what you prefer, but IMO you are not any less in control.

Even for "Supercars" it is getting harder to find a manual option. All seem to be going to DSG for that reason.
This is more to do with the difficulty of getting a manual clutch that can both handle the amount of torque and also be OK to drive around in the traffic than the speed of upchanges. A manual box in something like a veyron would be almost unusable I reckon.

This is more to do with the difficulty of getting a manual clutch that can both handle the amount of torque and also be OK to drive around in the traffic than the speed of upchanges. A manual box in something like a veyron would be almost unusable I reckon.

True :icon_thumright:

Sorry mate disagree. Whether manual or DSG, its how you apply the transmission you've got. The DSG will change a lot quicker than anyone can do manually. Even for "Supercars" it is getting harder to find a manual option. All seem to be going to DSG for that reason. I suppose at the end of the day it is what you prefer, but IMO you are not any less in control.

I am not in any way having a go at DSG i think it is amazing and i would spec it on any new car i bought unless it was a an S3 type car. I toyed with the options for ever when buying my new car and i decided that MK5 GTi, new Sirocco both would have been DSG but S3 had to be manual. Control was possibly not the right word i simply meant people (and the vast majority of people in my experience) prefer to have a clutch, it kind makes all seem right. As for the supercars yes a lot do come with DSG but as someone has said mainly for power handling or too many gears to be manual reasons.

Pros and Cons to both....

Appreciate my 2.0 TDi isn't the same as an S3, but there are times I just love my DSG and times it annoys me and I wish for a manual box.

As an "automatic" for normal town or motorway queue driving, its brilliant.
As a "good feeling" generator, accelerating down a motorway slip road and using the paddles to go up through the grars - its real fun.
When trying to pull out from a junction quickly, especially when its cold - its a pain, because you can't rely on the clutch "engagement" and being as slick as you could control it manually. I have to wait for bigger gaps in the traiffic than I would do in a manual....
When approaching a fast moving roundabout and trying to slot into a gap in the traffic, its a nightmare because there are times you end up with no power, in neutral for 2 seconds or so, whilst it tries to decide what gear you really need. It seems to get confused when you slow down to match your speed to the speed of traffic on the roundabout and then try to accelerate again to get into the approaching gap. If you remember every time, you drop the gears manually approaching fast roundabouts to ensure that you're always in a gear when you need power....
When going up or down a mountain pass road (well not really a mountain, Snake Pass in the Peak District, but you get the idea...), the automatic "hunts" to find the right gear, with all the changes in gradient, as you'd expect of an auto, so that's not great.
I expected this to be when the manual mode excelled, using the paddles to enthusiastically drive the "pass" road. Its good and its easier to use the paddles to change gear than having to use the clutch pedal, but after you've done it a couple of times the magic wears off and a manual box would be just as fulfilling and easy.

So I'd come to the conclusion that I'd get a manual box next time - but then I had a manual courtesy car for a day last week whilst mine was in for a cambelt change - and now I've realised just how much I do enjoy the good bits of the DSG box and that overall I prefer it to the manual box.