Facelift S3 - Mileage Concern

alpesh26

Reaction score
I've got a 2017 S3 on a 67 plate, but due to a change in work circumstances, I'm racking up quite a lot more mileage on it, its currently at 27k and I estimate i'll be doing 15-17k for work. I know this is going make it depreciate more.

If this was you, would you keep the S3 and run it into the ground or change it ASAP for something else before depreciation kills its value because of the mileage?

On a run from Wigan to Luton last week I got 43mpg (calculated properly, i.e. not going off the DIS) so it's not bad at all on economy.

I might be able to relate, I had the S3 and done 15k miles in the first year, I only changed as got a great deal on an S5 and was able to swap without much "negative" equity. About £500.

I'd have carried on doing that mileage as the car was fun, fast and "frugal" when needed but the insurance was very steep for me due to my age, but was well aware.

In terms of your question if you can afford to, then why not? However if you're not sure then of course it'd be a lot cheaper to say change to an A3 and have the more economical choice, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance and running costs.

End of the day it's your choice, everyone is different.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: alpesh26
Cheapest option is buy a cheap diesel runabout for the commute and keep the s3 as weekend toy.
A good £3-4K car is cheaper than probably 20k worth of depreciation per year.

Reactions: alpesh26 and V6_Man
Im sorry but its an S3. its hardly a limited edition sports car. The depritiation is going to be there no matter what! you do not have a car that is depretiation proof, a new model is coming out soon which will hit your finances more than a few thousand miles on the clock. I really fail to see the point in changing cars. You do not state the way you bought your car, perhaps if you bought on a pcp and have a limited mileadge contract then yes i see the point, but otherwise do not forget that it is still machine.

Reactions: alpesh26, Goner, msdmjb and 2 others
Unless you sell and buy privately, the dealer's cut of changing will far outweigh the the extra 'loss' in depreciation for the car having extra miles. Any car you buy will be worth proportionally less the more miles you put on it.

Im sorry but its an S3. its hardly a limited edition sports car. The depritiation is going to be there no matter what! you do not have a car that is depretiation proof, a new model is coming out soon which will hit your finances more than a few thousand miles on the clock. I really fail to see the point in changing cars. You do not state the way you bought your car, perhaps if you bought on a pcp and have a limited mileadge contract then yes i see the point, but otherwise do not forget that it is still machine.

Agree. If the mileage gets high and you keep it then so what - most of those miles are low engine stress motorway miles.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing and alpesh26
Wouldn't worry too much.....not convinced mileage has that much of an impact vs a really tidy/good spec car - obviously, within reasons, like not moon miles.....

My 67-reg has 28k now, and is essentially on 10k pa PCP...… only 2k in the next 13 months is unlikely. However, come sale time, I am pretty confident that the circa. 40k it will be on will not make a massive difference to 30k, as things like the spec, condition and so on will be attractive to prospective buyer :)

Of course, might be wrong, but was a similar story on previous car - Mercedes CLS on 42k miles after 3yrs, again on 10k pa PCP, sold privately for a small 'profit' over settlement, rather than a large excess mileage bill (circa. £3.5k) with Mercedes.....

Without trying to sound like the advert; stick your reg into webuyanycar.com and get a valuation. Do it again with adding 15k miles to get an idea on how much of a difference it will make. You dont need to put your real contact details in to get a quote.

Reactions: JohnM100
And on the other side of the coin, see how much it’ll cost to run the car at those miles vs changing over to something more frugal. Rising car prices make this less of an difference at the moment. End of the day, if you can afford it, keep the car and enjoy it. Life’s too short

I’ve been racking up a bit on mine this year and pondered the same.

In the end I though f it, why would you want to pay what I expect are reasonably high monthlies (in the scheme of things) to have it sat still 5 days a week.

As you say the economy is pretty decent on the motorway and it’s a nice place to be, if there’s traffic on the motorway and you fancy taking the scenic route home you’ll love every minute.

It’s a car, it’s going to depreciate no matter what, might as well enjoy the 15k miles in your S3 than spend it in a cackmobile.

I don’t expect you purchased an S3 with the view it was a prime financial investment, you bought it because you love it, even though you know it’s going to cost you.

Last edited:
To update this, I still have the S3 and its on 41k. There's nothing out there at the moment that I want to swap it in for so I'm happy to keep it. It's a great all rounder (quick, economical, practical, reliable) and I've had no major issues with it - better the devil you know. My mileage has dropped now due to hybrid working so keeping it makes more sense to me. I keep doing little mods to it every now and then stop me getting bored of it :calm:

Reactions: DJAlix and toooldforboyracing
To update this, I still have the S3 and its on 41k. There's nothing out there at the moment that I want to swap it in for so I'm happy to keep it. It's a great all rounder (quick, economical, practical, reliable) and I've had no major issues with it - better the devil you know. My mileage has dropped now due to hybrid working so keeping it makes more sense to me. I keep doing little mods to it every now and then stop me getting bored of it :calm:
When you say ''economical'' how much do you spend on petrol ? weekly or monthly ? And what is average mileage on full tank?
Thnx

Driven reasonably and with motorway cruising, 40-42mpg very achievable. Can get more being careful.
Yep. I drove from Preston to London at the weekend and achieved 44.3mpg according to the DIS

When you say ''economical'' how much do you spend on petrol ? weekly or monthly ? And what is average mileage on full tank?
Thnx
This is a bit difficult to answer as my journeys are varied at the moment. When I was commuting daily to the office (~20 miles, mostly motorway) I was getting around 380 miles to a tank with some short journeys in between. I use Tesco Momentum 99 fuel only or 97RON if I can't get to a Tesco.

This is a bit difficult to answer as my journeys are varied at the moment. When I was commuting daily to the office (~20 miles, mostly motorway) I was getting around 380 miles to a tank with some short journeys in between. I use Tesco Momentum 99 fuel only or 97RON if I can't get to a Tescof course motorway will be little bit more
I mean generally average.. I know it can be 10 mile less or 20 miles more difference.
But mostly how often you have to go to petrol station and how much you pay?
380 miles is very little on tank..
When I am on motorway I get 600 miles on mine A3 tdi 2.0 but that doesn't mean it is cheap for me.. Still expensive and city driving and to work I do 350 to 370 miles on full tank..
an S3 isn't very economic.. You need much more money.. I pay £50 to £55 now almost every week because my work is further away.. Ridiculous.

The "economic" car is considered to last 1000 miles on full tank on motorway and 500 miles in cities..

Driving an S model won’t ever be economical, in the purest sense of the word. You pay for the engineered performance target.
The question, if 38mpg is economical to a person, is more to do with their financial circumstances than the car itself.
If you really want an economical car, buy a Ford Mustang E. 4/500 miles is £7 full charge If fuel costs alone were a factor. But other things come into play like capital upfront costs, personal financial circumstances, wants, interior requirements, comfort, performance etc that are wildly variable between people,

That aside, finding something objectively ”better” than an S3 for reasonably long distance driving, in the same performance envelope is quite difficult if you stay in the liquid fuel word and remove electric cars from the pool, given their high entry costs.

Drive it and enjoy it. I put 160k on my Mercedes and miss the car as only replaced/sold due to CAZ's coming in and bought the Audi 2 years ago. Enjoyed driving it, who cares about depreciation.... all cars lose money.

Other idea. Sell the S3, buy a used Dacia Sandero for a couple of thousand, use the spare cash and savings for a deposit on a flat to do a BTL. This way no worries on depreciation and you'll get a long term return

[snip]
The "economic" car is considered to last 1000 miles on full tank on motorway and 500 miles in cities..

Please cite your source for this as an established standard.

Aside from a Vivaro (maybe?) theoretical mileage claim ~8 years ago or a TopGear A8 challenge with 20 gallon tank, what mainstream cars even with extended range tanks, or electric vehicles can do this?

To be established it has to be achievable, realistically affordable and not theoretical. I cannot think of one in real world circumstances.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing
Please cite your source for this as an established standard.

Aside from a Vivaro (maybe?) theoretical mileage claim ~8 years ago or a TopGear A8 challenge with 20 gallon tank, what mainstream cars even with extended range tanks, or electric vehicles can do this?

To be established it has to be achievable, realistically affordable and not theoretical. I cannot think of one in real world circumstances.
Man please do go deep into rabbit hole..
Just asked quieston about an s3 that's it
It isn't an economic car whatsoever.. Ok?
Thanks

I mean generally average.. I know it can be 10 mile less or 20 miles more difference.
But mostly how often you have to go to petrol station and how much you pay?
380 miles is very little on tank..
When I am on motorway I get 600 miles on mine A3 tdi 2.0 but that doesn't mean it is cheap for me.. Still expensive and city driving and to work I do 350 to 370 miles on full tank..
an S3 isn't very economic.. You need much more money.. I pay £50 to £55 now almost every week because my work is further away.. Ridiculous.

This is mixing fuel economy (mpg) with the cost of running a car (£).

My S5 does 600 miles on a single tank of fuel motorway driving and 400+ running around which makes it as efficient as the A3 2.0tdi quoted.

How how much that actually translates in £s every week depends on the size of the tank and the price of fuel.

If you are looking at the the longer term costs of running a car then you also need to take into account the purchase price, depreciation, insurance and rfl in any comparison which can make significant difference to the headline numbers.

OP was talking about fuel economy and quoting 40+ mpg. Most people would consider this pretty good for a car with that performance

Last edited:
OP was quoting 40+ mpg. Most people would consider this pretty good for a car with that performance
THIS! For me, the S3's economy is reasonable considering what the car is capable of. The S3 can't be compared with a diesel A3 because they serve different purposes.

Reactions: Senni and Frizzley
This is mixing fuel economy (mpg) with the cost of running a car (£).

My S5 does 600 miles on a single tank of fuel motorway driving and 400+ running around which makes it as efficient as the A3 2.0tdi quoted.

How how much that actually translates in £s every week depends on the size of the tank and the price of fuel.

If you are looking at the the longer term costs of running a car then you also need to take into account the purchase price, depreciation, insurance and rfl in any comparison which can make significant difference to the headline numbers.

OP was talking about fuel economy and quoting 40+ mpg. Most people would consider this pretty good for a car with that performance
Man jeez guyzz please stop
Aahh gooosh even S5 is now mixed here
You can't compare series you S5 has bigger tank comoon ppl.
I am ONlY comparing A3 series A3 TDi A3 TFSi and S3 tfsi. Please now you confused alpesh26 which another has no idea about tank sizes in each audi series.
This us purely 8V chassis guyzz so please don't meake it even more mixed up..
Aah well
Audi a3 8v has 50 litres tank size
You S5 will have probably 60 litres

THIS! For me, the S3's economy is reasonable considering what the car is capable of. The S3 can't be compared with a diesel A3 because they serve different purposes.
Not really.. I have A3 tdi stock 180 bhp bumped to 230 bhp and average mileage on full tank city 350 miles. On motorway 600 od..
BUT Audi A3 tdi 150 bhp has 500 miles on full tank in city.. And on motorway it may hit even 800miles. And if there is
Audi tdi or tfsi 1.4 or even 1.0 the mileage on full tank average will be definitely 1000miles.
This is what I am trying to compare.
Mine car isn't economic at all either because is quite fast nit of course like S3 but fast than ordinary economic car
And bare in mind if you have S3 you have to use that expensive more clear petrol not that cheap otherwise your car will go bust very soon.

I know guys we trying to defend you car only because we own it and in our minds trying to lie to ourselves like ; nah its ok, I have money so I will consider it it is Ooookkk not expensive, don't worry I have same feelings but when, people says around me like oh my god it is two liter that is expensive to run.. You know this is not from our perspective but rom normal average people perspective. Or cars as such perspective.
If the fosil fuel would be cheap same like in Saudi Arabia then yes it would be economical haha :D
They have 18p per litre?

Actually, it’s not defending the car, it’s looking at the details and trying to see which car can achieve a full tank range of 1000 miles. This is why we all perked up our ears and asked the question.

Just looked up a 2.0L TDI 150hp model and it’s notable FWD. Remember the S3 is AWD.
Figures for the car show city as 56.5mpg and motorway as 78.5. Assuming a 10 gallon tank that’s 565 and 785 miles, all being under ideal conditions
You already have a few differences between the 2…
* Drivetrain
* Fuel Type
That explains the difference and isn’t exclusive to Audi’s, but all cars in general.

For a giggle I looked up the A1 1.6L 114bhp model and if it has a 10 gallon tank, in order to be able to do 1000 miles, that means the mpg has to be in 3 figures. The best I could find was 83.1mpg, that’s 170 miles short of the 1000 miles, 17% off actually. That’s far too large to be explained by standard deviation

The highest found was a Ford 1.6 TDCI Econetic II Panel van and that does 91.9mpg, assuming a 10 gallon tank. Still 80 miles short but I’ll grant you that it’s getting close. But would you go into a Ford Panel van from an A3?

It’s all just conversation anyway, but hopefully it shown you that IF you can accept the normal diesel vs petrol efficiency paradigm, then they are actually not bad. If absolute running cost reduction is your aim then the S3 is not the car for you

Hope that helps you figure out your dilemma

Actually, it’s not defending the car, it’s looking at the details and trying to see which car can achieve a full tank range of 1000 miles. This is why we all perked up our ears and asked the question.

Just looked up a 2.0L TDI 150hp model and it’s notable FWD. Remember the S3 is AWD.
Figures for the car show city as 56.5mpg and motorway as 78.5. Assuming a 10 gallon tank that’s 565 and 785 miles, all being under ideal conditions
You already have a few differences between the 2…
* Drivetrain
* Fuel Type
That explains the difference and isn’t exclusive to Audi’s, but all cars in general.

For a giggle I looked up the A1 1.6L 114bhp model and if it has a 10 gallon tank, in order to be able to do 1000 miles, that means the mpg has to be in 3 figures. The best I could find was 83.1mpg, that’s 170 miles short of the 1000 miles, 17% off actually. That’s far too large to be explained by standard deviation

The highest found was a Ford 1.6 TDCI Econetic II Panel van and that does 91.9mpg, assuming a 10 gallon tank. Still 80 miles short but I’ll grant you that it’s getting close. But would you go into a Ford Panel van from an A3?

It’s all just conversation anyway, but hopefully it shown you that IF you can accept the normal diesel vs petrol efficiency paradigm, then they are actually not bad. If absolute running cost reduction is your aim then the S3 is not the car for you

Hope that helps you figure out your dilemma
There is no dilemma some ppl trying to defend and call S3 car to be economic, car when I said no it is not, so few ppl got disappointed so :D
And I asked what is the AVERAGE cost to drive an S3 8V weekly /monthly and I wanted to compare with mine cost weekly / monthly. but didn't get answer :)
If mine A3 TDi quattro have to top up full tank every week £50 it is a lot.. but the journey is 60 miles every day :)
No am not interested in other brand .. Only 8V A3/S3(mabye RS3 heh)
But there are Audi A3 1.0 TFSi I wonder if this would hit 1000 miles :) on full tank

Last edited:
BEAR THIS IN MIND…

This is not a tear down, you’ve asked for some info and we’re all trying to help you see that your TDI is a good all rounder and the S3 is outside your perceived budget, on the basis that you want to have a long range and cheap Audi.

There is no dilemma some ppl trying to defend and call S3 car to be economic, car when I said no it is not, so few ppl got disappointed so
You’ll find that context plays a part here. There are few 300hp All Wheel Drive Sports cars that can return this level of fuel efficiency. Should you find anything that has a similar performance and drivetrain, then please do enlighten us. If every other car that has the same performance cannot get higher than 29mpg but an S3 can get real life 40+ mpg, then the figure proves it’s the most economical in it’s class. Since you’ve asked if it’s worth getting one, I’ll vote with no. If you’re saying which car is the most efficient then we’ll tell you to get a lightweight, low powered diesel with reduced comfort and luxuries that is built for efficiency

And I asked what is the AVERAGE cost to drive an S3 8V weekly /monthly and I wanted to compare with mine cost weekly / monthly. but didn't get answer

If person A drives 1600 miles a month they fill up 4 times a month and costs whatever the fuel price is per litre, multiplied by 50 litres.
If person B drives 400 miles a month, they fill up 4 times a month, so the cost will be a 1/4 of person A
It’s basic math, if you‘re trying to figure out how much it costs you to run a car it’s pretty simple, write down…
* Miles driven in a week
* Fuel purchased in litres a week
* Fuel cost a week

Making sure you take all three figures straight after you’ve filled up and have the receipt to look up the figures

The put it into this formula

Miles driven / litres filled up = Miles per litre
Miles per litre * 4.5 = Miles per gallon (4.5 litres is in a gallon)

That will give you a true indication of what your TDI is costing. Do the same math for a replacement car if you want to change to and that should help you figure out where to go.

Then you can simply divide the Fuel cost by the number of miles then that gives you cost per mile, or multiply by 100 to give you a way to compare that cost between cars you’re looking at. When people tell you their real life mpg value, you can work out the rest

If mine A3 TDi quattro have to top up full tank every week £50 it is a lot.. but the journey is 60 miles every day
£50 of fuel at £1.40 per litre is 35 litres or 7.7 gallons.
5 days of working at 60 miles per day is 300 miles so 300/7.7 gives you 38 mpg, which is LESS than the petrol S3
7 days of working at 60 miles per day is 420 miles so 420/7.7 gives you 54 mpg which is about right for a turbo diesel. But only 11 mpg more than petrol but with 300hp (standard) vs 230 (chipped)

Logically something is amiss here

No am not interested in other brand .. Only 8V A3/S3(mabye RS3 heh)

RS3? If you have doubts about fuel economy on an S3, then the RS3 will be a shock to your wallet on…
Fuel - Lower MPG
Insurance - Usually higher risk, therefore higher premium
Purchase price - A lot higher
Maintenance - Take a look at discs and pads as one example

As the cost are marginally higher, but enough that I’m (and suspect most S3 and RS3 owners) expect you’ll discount the RS3

But there are Audi A3 1.0 TFSi I wonder if this would hit 1000 miles on full tank

Nope, only petrol models come in the 1 litre engine and they are rated at 70mpg under ideal conditions so they most definitely won’t hit 1000 miles. Even a Toyota Prius which can only get to 85mpg under ideal conditions.

Good luck in your hunt, hate to be the bearer of bad news but you simply won’t be able to get the fuel efficiency, range & runnings costs in an Audi you’re looking for, and most probably any brand.

Reactions: JohnM100, Frizzley and Adam14
BEAR THIS IN MIND…

This is not a tear down, you’ve asked for some info and we’re all trying to help you see that your TDI is a good all rounder and the S3 is outside your perceived budget, on the basis that you want to have a long range and cheap Audi.

You’ll find that context plays a part here. There are few 300hp All Wheel Drive Sports cars that can return this level of fuel efficiency. Should you find anything that has a similar performance and drivetrain, then please do enlighten us. If every other car that has the same performance cannot get higher than 29mpg but an S3 can get real life 40+ mpg, then the figure proves it’s the most economical in it’s class. Since you’ve asked if it’s worth getting one, I’ll vote with no. If you’re saying which car is the most efficient then we’ll tell you to get a lightweight, low powered diesel with reduced comfort and luxuries that is built for efficiency

If person A drives 1600 miles a month they fill up 4 times a month and costs whatever the fuel price is per litre, multiplied by 50 litres.
If person B drives 400 miles a month, they fill up 4 times a month, so the cost will be a 1/4 of person A
It’s basic math, if you‘re trying to figure out how much it costs you to run a car it’s pretty simple, write down…
* Miles driven in a week
* Fuel purchased in litres a week
* Fuel cost a week

Making sure you take all three figures straight after you’ve filled up and have the receipt to look up the figures

The put it into this formula

Miles driven / litres filled up = Miles per litre
Miles per litre * 4.5 = Miles per gallon (4.5 litres is in a gallon)

That will give you a true indication of what your TDI is costing. Do the same math for a replacement car if you want to change to and that should help you figure out where to go.

Then you can simply divide the Fuel cost by the number of miles then that gives you cost per mile, or multiply by 100 to give you a way to compare that cost between cars you’re looking at. When people tell you their real life mpg value, you can work out the rest

£50 of fuel at £1.40 per litre is 35 litres or 7.7 gallons.
5 days of working at 60 miles per day is 300 miles so 300/7.7 gives you 38 mpg, which is LESS than the petrol S3
7 days of working at 60 miles per day is 420 miles so 420/7.7 gives you 54 mpg which is about right for a turbo diesel. But only 11 mpg more than petrol but with 300hp (standard) vs 230 (chipped)

Logically something is amiss here

RS3? If you have doubts about fuel economy on an S3, then the RS3 will be a shock to your wallet on…
Fuel - Lower MPG
Insurance - Usually higher risk, therefore higher premium
Purchase price - A lot higher
Maintenance - Take a look at discs and pads as one example

As the cost are marginally higher, but enough that I’m (and suspect most S3 and RS3 owners) expect you’ll discount the RS3

Nope, only petrol models come in the 1 litre engine and they are rated at 70mpg under ideal conditions so they most definitely won’t hit 1000 miles. Even a Toyota Prius which can only get to 85mpg under ideal conditions.

Good luck in your hunt, hate to be the bearer of bad news but you simply won’t be able to get the fuel efficiency, range & runnings costs in an Audi you’re looking for, and most probably any brand.
Thanks for the reply
I know all this and maths.
It is not about if tdi is my all rounder I could go get straight RS3 but it is no point.. I am considering S3.
I don't buy car to show off like many ppl do.
I was very close to get an S3 8V but still deciding. But most likely no. Fuel costs will be rising more and more.
There is no ONLY fuel consumption taken into account. BUT
1.Cost of the car
2.Insurance
3.Road Tax
4.fuel
5.mot
6. service
And it is a lot money to spend.
And I know about mileage somone will drive less or some will drive more.
When I mendioned AVERAGE you need to work with same mileage, not that someone will dirve lees or more
I want to compare mine with s3 same miles on full tank
And I think it is nearly sameme.
Average I have 350miles and S3 has 300 miles when droven same distance.
This is what I trying to workout. But now S3 has massive road tax price they bumoed it to £220 now from £200
I pay 130 annual road tax.
And I only wanted ask real life from person average cost od having S3 and quickly compare to mine but nobody seems to gice quick answers don't know why..
Rather saying quickly prices how much they spend and make miles average.
That was all..
But thank you for replying.

@toooldforboyracing - the most polite, considerate, measured and informative take down I have seen for a long time.
Well and it shouldn't be polite? Always must be polite.. :) But you need to bear in mind if some want to compare you can't just go and say some driving lees somone more..
You need to work with same measurements same mileages same litres of tank. To see the difference. :)

But now S3 has massive road tax price they bumoed it to £220 now from £200
I pay 130 annual road tax.
That comment implies you’re looking at a PFL (pre facelift) model that ended production at the start of 2017. (I’m estimating but it’s easy to verify if I’m mistaken)
These models had 159g/km CO2 and road tax paid for this band was either £220.50 paid over 12 months or pay a single £210 payment for 12 months. The previous year was probably £200 so £10 increase is a 5% increase in road tax.
Personally, I’d disagree that £10 / £20 is a ”massive amount” as you put it, however one doesn’t know the financial circumstances where this statement is valid

The models most of us own & been using for the mpg values, is the FL (facelift) model, that is quoted as any car registered after 31st March 2017. These had 151g/km of CO2 and one suspects this is due to the 7 speed STronic, instead of the 6 speed as well as the other little tweaks newer cars pick up.

In this range, we all pay £495 p.a. road tax, this is £155 road tax PLUS we pay a £340 premium, per year for the first six years since the car has been registered. The rate of tax won’t drop until Mar 2023, at the earliest for us.
Small point, but this only applies to cars that had a RRP of £40k or more, which almost all S3’s did cost when new.

In short, stick with the TDi and drive it as gently as possible whilst remaining a safe road user.
Should funding be an issue, it may be time to reconsider driving an A3 and downgrade, but be diligent about it and compare how much it costs to change a car VS paying the extra money for the fuel.

You may find that when you do the sums, you find over 3 years the difference is £300 or £400 total. For that money being saved means selling the car, new insurance, learning things, whereas just paying the fuel cost and driving gently means you don’t have to put in all that effort to save that money

All the best Audi-Sport-Driver
:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi-Sport-Driver
That comment implies you’re looking at a PFL (pre facelift) model that ended production at the start of 2017. (I’m estimating but it’s easy to verify if I’m mistaken)
These models had 159g/km CO2 and road tax paid for this band was either £220.50 paid over 12 months or pay a single £210 payment for 12 months. The previous year was probably £200 so £10 increase is a 5% increase in road tax.
Personally, I’d disagree that £10 / £20 is a ”massive amount” as you put it, however one doesn’t know the financial circumstances where this statement is valid

The models most of us own & been using for the mpg values, is the FL (facelift) model, that is quoted as any car registered after 31st March 2017. These had 151g/km of CO2 and one suspects this is due to the 7 speed STronic, instead of the 6 speed as well as the other little tweaks newer cars pick up.

In this range, we all pay £495 p.a. road tax, this is £155 road tax PLUS we pay a £340 premium, per year for the first six years since the car has been registered. The rate of tax won’t drop until Mar 2023, at the earliest for us.
Small point, but this only applies to cars that had a RRP of £40k or more, which almost all S3’s did cost when new.

In short, stick with the TDi and drive it as gently as possible whilst remaining a safe road user.
Should funding be an issue, it may be time to reconsider driving an A3 and downgrade, but be diligent about it and compare how much it costs to change a car VS paying the extra money for the fuel.

You may find that when you do the sums, you find over 3 years the difference is £300 or £400 total. For that money being saved means selling the car, new insurance, learning things, whereas just paying the fuel cost and driving gently means you don’t have to put in all that effort to save that money

All the best Audi-Sport-Driver
:thumbs up:
Yeah thanks
I paid 9k for mine car 2 years ago i really liked it but was thinking to upgrade to S3 but had to leave it for now.
I even tried to sell car but many dodgy ppl here in uk.. And timewasters not recommended to sell car privately these days.
And cheapest S3 2013 - 2016 is 15k.. On autotrader.. Now even more
About year ago somone were selling very nice S3 black pack just for 12k wanted so much but guy didn't want do part ex..
Since then no such price.
So I've sticked with this
Its is fast enough.
5 sec drag race from 0 to 60 so am pleased :p
Maybe in future when Prices will go down will buy an S3