S3 or R32

L

L60N

Hi there,

I just registered here hoping to get a general consencus from people who have an opinion or who have owned/own either of the above cars.

I am ready to go ahead and order an S3 on monday, this is the car i would really love to own, but there is a little part of me not sure as ive read the engine is a little horrid sounding and the turbo lags quite badly. Is this just rubbish reviewing or is there a lot of truth in it?

With my options the car is going to drop out at around £32k. My other thought, should i get a lot of negative comments is to look seriously at the R32 as i cant find many bad comments, also the DSG gets rave reviews. With the 32K ploughed into an R32 i think i could go for pretty much fully loaded.

The way i feel at the moment is that the S3 is a more exclusive "race bred" raw machine. The golf appears to me flash but rather flabby round the waist. Am i wrong?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Leon

P.S - My order for the S3 would comprise:

Ibis White
Black leather buckets
Rain/light sensing pack
Phone Prep
CD nav
Bose
flappy mirrors
other crap i cant remember

Personally id say the S3 because its a all rounder. Performance, Comfort, Reliabilty, Quality.

Your right about the sound though does sound horrid nothing like the R32. But an S3 has never been about the sound of the engine.
Plus dont sound that bad exhaust gives off a nice sound once you give it some.
Turbo lag alot better than the older one.... alot.
S3 more refined in a sense you get everything you'd want in a car.
The R32 still a great car and isnt too far behind the S3 in my opinion.

Agree the engine doesn't sound as nice as a V6 but it is much better than I expected TBO. It makes a nice sporty rasp when driving hard and you also get the turbo whoosing noises which I like ( better with the window open! ).

I worked out then when specced up with Leather and the same bits as I have on the S3 that an R32 was only 1-2k cheaper. I think list price is 24k + leather which almost brings it up to S3 level.

Also from reading reviews (autocar mainly) they say the S3 understeers much less ( due to lighter engine and aluminium front suspension ) and is much more adjustable when it does. Also performance figures for the S3 are quite a bit better due to a bit more power and a bit less weight.

Lag can be an issue but only below about 2.5k revs, as long as your are in a sensible gear it's not noticeable.

Just prey you don't get one with creaking door seals! I've been back to the dealer twice and they are still trying to fix this 'known issue'.

I had the same decision to make as these were the two cars I had narrowed it down to.

S3 all the way for me!!

The Golf was boring to drive
DSG was rubbish
Didn't feel that quick
Didn't sound that great
Build quality not like the Audi

I ordered my S3 a few weeks ago

You could always get the 3.2 V6 A3 which is a superb car and not flash as it looks like a standard A3 but goes like stink and the engine sound is superb

I had the same decision to make and after trying both the decision easy!
see my sig

L60N,

Have you test driven both cars? This is the only sure way to find out which one you like best.

Everybody will have a different opinion on which car is better and why. Therefore make sure you test drive them both before you spend your hard earned $$$

Another one who had it down to a R32 or a S3.

Chose the S3 because :
o Exclusive.. even still a year after the launch you don't see many at all on the road.
o Tuning.. much easier to mod a turbo engine than an NA.
o Looks.. personal thing I know, but preferred the look of the S3.
o Interior quality :)

That was about it.. plus I found it a lot easier to track down one with bluetooth, satnav and the adaptive xenons which were what I was after mostly.

HTH.

-Sal- :cool:

If you want to compare performance (and know German fluently) then check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlkNeazzvw&mode=related&search=

The times posted by the two cars around the track says it all :) Plus Ibis White is a great colour, and combined with bucket seats it looks :cool:

If you see my spec in my sig, that come to exactly £29k, with a 5% discount. Don't bother with the sat nav and retro fit RNS-E unit for about £500, which is what i'm going to do shortly :icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

I drove both. havign owned a MK4 R32, MK4 GTi, I hated the MK5 interior it felt liek a real step backwards, but also back to back against the S3 I actually felt the MK5 R32 a step closer to the MK4 4Mo - it felt liek a soft lardy V6, fabulous cruiser but no sports hatch. I Know I'll get flamed for that, but the R32 just felt like it was lacking. V6 sounds great, but was nothing compared tot he S3 particularly after superchips played with it.

If you would spec an R32 with all of the stuff that comes standard on the S3 (leather etc.) then they cost pretty much the same price...

Makes it a no brainer for the majority...faster...more exclusive...better interior quality by a mile...etc...etc...etc...

Of course you should also consider a 1.4 Clio, or whatever ***** it is that Bowfer's mrs drives...as he as owned just about everyone on the road in it at one time or another.

and of course fuel economy, the R32 drinks a serious amount of fuel, the S3 is no sipster but far better than an R32.

For me the mk5 R32 is no where near as good as the mk4 32 looks wise but then again many on here would say that about the new generation S3 in comparison to the old one.

Drive both cars back to back then decide.

Spin140 said:
and of course fuel economy, the R32 drinks a serious amount of fuel, the S3 is no sipster but far better than an R32.

For me the mk5 R32 is no where near as good as the mk4 32 looks wise but then again many on here would say that about the new generation S3 in comparison to the old one.

Is the R32 that bad on fuel then?

normski said:
Is the R32 that bad on fuel then?

Well worse than an S3 anyway!

I had the same decision between my current car and an R32 and I don't regret it, especially with the bluefin. Today I ordered an S3, the R32 didn't even come into my head.:arco:

I've asked to collect mid april. I'm away til then anyway.

Shao_khan said:
For me Economy wouldnt be a major factor. My MK4 R32 when I returned it had averaged almost 27mpg. My S3 went a week or 2 back and had averaged 23mpg...just about.

You done well, mine averaged 17 MPG.

I'd choose the S3 over the R32. The looks of the new R32 are good dam aweful.

L60N said:
P.S - My order for the S3 would comprise:

Ibis White
Black leather buckets
Rain/light sensing pack
Phone Prep
CD nav
Bose
flappy mirrors

Does the other crap include a multi function steering wheel? The phone prep isn't much good without it.

I don't know from personal experience but i can say that someone i know who loved his Mk4 R32 bought a new Mk5. When he finally got it i asked what it was like, he didn't say a lot other than he didn't like it as much as his old one and was even thinking about getting rid.

Audi S3 in the R32's Deep Blue Pearl... if I had the money to do it that is!

I have to say the MK4 R32 is one of the few cars I miss, it was great.

As MAtt says, S3 in Deep Blue Pearl would look awesome - in fact drop the buckets and have exclusive paint.

L60N said:
My order for the S3 would comprise:

Ibis White
Black leather buckets
Rain/light sensing pack
Phone Prep
CD nav
Bose
flappy mirrors

I´ve had my S3 for 8 months and 10k miles.
Really miss the DSG and the ability to turn off the engine without waiting for the turbo to cool down after driving hard, which you always should do with a car like this. The R32 also handles better than the stock S3.

I´d say - go for the R32! (if you don´t intend to chip your S3 first thing)

But.. if you go for the S3 - skip the CD-nav, it SUCKS.
Nice color btw. I´d like mine in Ibis also.
Go for Symphony HU and retro fit a DVD-nav from E-bay for £500-600.
Retro means that you also will get away from the ugly fin on top of the roof. And the GPS antenna mounted under the dash works just as fine.
Rain sensor also sucks! but the light sensor is nice as it keeps your Xenons from burning out quickly. I don´t think you can pick the light sensor separately but I almost hate my rain sensor enough to be without the light sensor. You need to consider that your car will se alot of rain, right? :)
Tyre pressure is GOOD and really cheap. Add it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

What's wrong with the sharkfin on the roof? I quite like it, although I wish it was the same colour as the rest of the car.

That said if you have a black car it would be the same colour....

Stockholm said:
I´ve had my S3 for 8 months and 10k miles.
Really miss the DSG and the ability to turn off the engine without waiting for the turbo to cool down after driving hard, which you always should do with a car like this. The R32 also handles better than the stock S3.

I´d say - go for the R32! (if you don´t intend to chip your S3 first thing)

But.. if you go for the S3 - skip the CD-nav, it SUCKS.
Nice color btw. I´d like mine in Ibis also.
Go for Symphony HU and retro fit a DVD-nav from E-bay for £500-600.
Retro means that you also will get away from the ugly fin on top of the roof. And the GPS antenna mounted under the dash works just as fine.
Rain sensor also sucks! but the light sensor is nice as it keeps your Xenons from burning out quickly. I don´t think you can pick the light sensor separately but I almost hate my rain sensor enough to be without the light sensor. You need to consider that your car will se alot of rain, right? :)
Tyre pressure is GOOD and really cheap. Add it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Surprised you think the S3 handles worse than the R32, especially since that video i posted further up the thread showed the S3 is clearly faster around that track, and the S3 beat the R32 by over 2.1 seconds around the track used by EVO magazine to test cars :think:

The S3 is faster and better handling than the R32 for sure its VAG small car flag ship for performance, why do you think volks. dont release a 260 horse golf ? You could by an R32 but you would regret it the first time someone owns you in an S3 , I had a play with an R32 the other night and had to let off in every gear . two seconds round a track is a BIG difference in terms of handling and performace with only ten or so brake horse on paper . Its the way the S3 delivers the power its great and as for turbo lag , well if you used to driving a diesel but not a problem for me picks up from 1500 rpm quite nice. :rockwoot:

Rgds
bob

IH786 said:
Surprised you think the S3 handles worse than the R32, especially since that video i posted further up the thread showed the S3 is clearly faster around that track, and the S3 beat the R32 by over 2.1 seconds around the track used by EVO magazine to test cars :think:

But of course the S3 is faster. It has 28hp more than the R32.
250 vs 278, stock. The R32 still handles better.

Stockholm said:
But of course the S3 is faster. It has 28hp more than the R32.
250 vs 278, stock. The R32 still handles better.

But it's not all about BHP Stockhom...in the same Evo timings, I recall that the S3 was less than a second slower than the M3 and M5...would suggest that the S3 puts it down better than most.

R32 has the option of 5 Doors, also I think its just as rare and exclusive as the S3, Ive seen more RS4's this end than I have of either those two...

There's an S3 sportback next year, apparently.

Hi from OZ
I have had both a MKV R (DBP) and now a current S3 (black).

The packaging and options are hard to compare here down under, effectively you are looking at a approx. 4,500 UK dollars diff. S3 is the dearer of course. But standard kit is higher.

R has the awsome exhaust sound
S has the grunt and prestige of the badge
S has the upgradability (is that a word??) (mine will be APRed next week, 320HP vs 252 for the R)
R looks like any other of the 10 million golfs on the road (exclusive)
S better resale over here

Drive wise the R HAS and does understeer more it has a heavier nose! Either are a good choice, money was not an option so I stepped "up" to the S3 (31500 UK dollars).

Good luck.
John :s3addict:

Firsty, this is a good question.. Both cars are great and will put a smile on your face.

Secondly, both have plus points and minus points, most of which have been mentioned above.

I have strong VW roots and had a few golfs before getting the audi. I have driven the MK4 and 5 R32 and both are good, the latter being excellent when giving it some real boot!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! The Mk 5 R32 doesnt look as special as the Mk 4 to me, but it looks better than the S3 in the metal (to me at least). I have seen a few S3's IRL and they had the standard 18inch rims on and didnt look any better than a nice S-Line A3. The R32's always turned my head however.

I've not driven a new S3 so cant comment on its drive. I think with 19 inch RS4 rims and black optics grill (and black body color) it does look sh!t hot.. :icon_thumright: I would have to try out both before seriously considering which one to get and drive them both hard, back to back, maybe twice each!

Reckon most peeps on here are gonna say S3 and its a no brainer choice. I dont know (how useless am I!), but would say try them both properly and make up your own mind. New R32 with BBS CH 19's looks the sh!t too.:hubbahubba:

cooky

Spin140 said:

Agree about the looks thing completely with regards to the old R32 and S3. However out of the new S3 and the R32 I reckon the R32 looks better, especially from the back.

The new S3 just looks like all the other A3's, basically a box on wheels.

No we're on looks, I think it all depends on the colour you choose on each car and how recognisible you want it to be.

The R32 in silver or black I personally think is very discreet, in fact one was next to me in traffic the other day and I didn't spot it until I heard it pull off and it was clearly a V6. It does look good in blue though.... but as most previous R32 owners have said, it's not as 'special' as the mk4 R32. I have a few friends with those and they are a really good looking car.

As for the S3, well again if you want discreet you can go Black or Dolphin grey where it doesn't stand out quite so much - stealth if you like. Or if you want to be spotted you can go sprint blue, white, red or silver where I think the car looks really good and stands out against the rest of the A3 range!
Best thing about the S3 in lighter colours, the front end has a bit of an RS4 look to the bumper design - seems to get people to pull out of your way in motorways which is always a bonus!!!

It's all subjective but I think most people have summer up the pro's and con's of each of the cars fairly - only you can decide, so I'd get down the dealership have a few test drives price them up and see what your heart tells you!!!

Enjoy!

S3Didge said:
Buy the R32 :icon_thumright:

Keeps the S3 more exclusive :)

Exactly

I was at a choice between the two and honestly the R32 looks like a normal golf with a poor fitting bodykit, the kit just does not look right on the car.

The S3 to me looked right, subtle but everyone interested in cars can see what it is and more so looked like it had been designed right from the factory as opposed to sticking a few pieces of trim on for the golf to make it look more special than a normal model.