S3 OR RS3

Yep, I drove the new RS3 yesterday. To sum it up. I have an S3 and the RS3 doesn't elevate itself enough over an S3 to warrant the cost, not just purchase price, the overall running costs will be much higher with the RS. The engine is the star of that car, everything else, even looks are bland as you like, car was 'primer grey' aka Nardo Grey that I drove, I suppose in another colour it might look better? May be if they'd done a three door RS it would have been better and the saloon I suspect will look better. But, I was a little disappointed both in driving it and looking at it. It's just not what you would expect from an RS product. They should rename it, S3+. LOL. I suspect people who ordered without having seen or driven one might be in for a bit of disappointment - I hope not for their sakes, but I would be if I'd ordered one. If you're coming from an S3 to an RS3, I suspect you will be. If you've not owned the new S3, you'll be happy enough I imagine. It wasn't even that much quicker my S3. I struggled to notice that it was any quicker anyway, it just made more noise doing it. My conclusion - less is more, S3 wins. But... if money isn't an issue for you, despite everything I have said, I'd get the RS3.

So, what about the new TTS? That WAS a step up from my S3. Way better looking than an S3 and RS3, way better driving position, sharper handling, better interior and the one I drove actually just as fast as the RS3 I drove. Hmm. Wasn't expecting the TTS to be so good, but it is. Just the dashboard impedes perfection, but it quickly grows on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas-suisse
^^ Sounds great but the pattern on the seats :wtf:

Awesome looking car just needs a panroof/BSP......the perforated pattern on the seats is far more pronounced on Lunar Rob and Rob how do l get a red S3 banner/Silver Quattro........being childish................lol

Still couldnt afford to run one as a daily driver though.........avarage....19-22 mpg?

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have a year old S3 S/B and I have ordered the RS3 after a test drive last weekend.

Why would I do that? Well there are a number of reasons so I'll try and summarise in a few key areas. Given that I already have the S3 S/B it's clear I need practicality as much as anything else.

Appearance

The S3 has always looked discreet from the front & yet the quad pipes from the rear made a bit more of a statement but was never really a 'look at me' car which is what I liked. The RS3 is not that dissimilar in my view which helped in my decision to change. Yes it has a few spoilers, bigger exhausts & a wider looking stance but overtake one on the motorway at 70mph and I doubt many will take a second look. It does look more aggressive at standstill though which is where the S3 lost out by design.

Interior

The same as the S3? Yes absolutely. Like it a lot....! The SSS in the RS3 do feel a bit more supportive around shoulder/chest height compared to my standard S3 seats. Didn't expect that. Bit of a con though that I need to spec them to get lunar silver interior!

Gearbox

Current car is manual, I have previously had a DSG golf which was good in parts, however sometimes its gearbox seemed sluggish or confused & the RS3 had a few similar hesitation issues in normal around town driving. In fairness this is as much about driving style & familiarity so things should feel better once I get used to the S Tronic.

The through the gears up change however was seamless from 0-60 etc.....

Tap the selector into sport & the pops & bangs really let go with a gear or two down change. This was addictive!

However in a perfect world I would love an RS3 with manual gearbox.

Engine/Exhaust

Ok so here's the big difference. At idle they are totally different even in the same 'mode' and the RS3 does pop a lot more. Tap it into sport and the engine revs lift slightly and the exhaust would burble away and you just can't help but smile! This is where it loses its discretion and people start looking!

On the move the throttle response is a lot more urgent in the RS3 & even initially noticeable in a 30mph zone. Building up on to 40 & 50mph zones it really started to come alive, response is even more instant than the S3 and as you press onto 60 zones it was off. I always felt that 2nd gear in a manual S3 was too short, hitting the limiter frequently expecting a longer gear maybe? Once onto the dual at 70 it was even more noticeable how much more urgent the RS3 felt. Or is that just me now being too used to the S3?

I doubt the RS3 fuel consumption will get much better than 30mpg where as my S3 averages just over that with the best figure achieved of 44mpg. But then I never actually bought either of these cars for fuel economy.

Ride quality/Comfort

I have not got or ordered 'mag ride' so.......On 19 inch wheels I could feel a slightly more bumpy ride, not crashy but firm over a few bumps in the road in the RS3. Will this get tiresome?!

Handling was very similar to my S3 but in dynamic the RS3 steering felt better. I think dynamic on the S3 ruins the steering feel. It's too weighted but not so much on the RS3.

Specification

I actually think its hard to call this one as the S3 needs plenty of money to top up the standard spec & the RS3 is no exception so I would say there is little I can say about them.

Financials

This is what actually swayed my decision. My depreciation on the S3 in 1 year is just under 15% leaving me with good equity. Taking into account the high residual value of the RS3 for me it seemed a perfect time to swap.

Head vS Heart

I love my S3 and never thought that I would change it so soon, so I hope that the RS3 meets my expectations and does not let me down, after all it is a lot of money! I have not & probably would not stretch beyond my means on a car so this feels like a good time for change.

Yes people have mentioned that there are other cars like Porsche, BMW, RS4 or R8 that you could spend this amount of money on but they would be older & possibly out of manufacturer warranty on one or two of them. I have also thought that if you're spending that much on a car, then for me it had to be new ?

So that's pretty much where we've ended up and now the long wait begins but at least I can enjoy the S3 for a few months more.

Reactions: Tej13, RYuill, Bristle Hound and 4 others
l just spoke to my son about a test drive in RS3 "Glasgow Audi" they're RS3 doesnt make a Appearance till this Sunday and even then,the Lomond Audi Group only have one between 4 large showrooms Glasgow,Perth,Stirling,Aberdeen......"they are playing it sensible" to take stock....because of residuals on Demo car's after the Demo term is up 4-6 months.....he says its best to buy a low or averaged Specced RS3...........for better residuals..

Our group dealer had static (showroom) cars in each of their 4 showrooms but just one demo car between them.

I am impressed by the residual value on the S3 but more so the RS3. I have also spec'd my car at mid range so happy with your feedback/comments!

One concern I have with the S3 is actually the Golf R will impact residuals in 12 - 18 months.

l just spoke to my son about a test drive in RS3 "Glasgow Audi" they're RS3 doesnt make a Appearance till this Sunday and even then,the Lomond Audi Group only have one between 4 large showrooms Glasgow,Perth,Stirling,Aberdeen......"they are playing it sensible" to take stock....because of residuals on Demo car's after the Demo term is up 4-6 months.....he says its best to buy a low or averaged Specced RS3...........for better residuals..

Aberdeen Audi is John Clark.
They've got a demo, I'm driving it next week.
They apparently took 25ish orders for RS3's over the weekend after folk test drove the car.

... and Rob how do l get a red S3 banner/Silver Quattro........being childish................lol

Banners make prizes !! lol . Don't think you can do it from a phone so need a laptop or desktop. See where it shows your name and avatar at the very top right of the page hover the mouse pointer over that for a second or two and you will get a drop down menu then click on join user groups then pick away to get the banners.

Reactions: Simon L
Drove it at the weekend, doing the maths now to get the best deal in ordering an RS3 to replace my 2014 S3 it was that much better.

Anyone want to buy a 2014 S3 sportback with 21,000 miles :p......

The S3 is excellent value and a really good performance/pound, the RS3 is more of a how much cash i have (or borrow)
For me the extra oomph isn't enough, only 5 doors and no manual. For commuting or just driving around DSG is great but when having a blat I couldn't do without a manual. Exhaust note is cool but come on not enough to justify changing, north of £40k gets some proper new or nearly new cars.

Where i live there will be a saloon RS3 buteven that isn't enough to sway me.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The S3 is excellent value and a really good performance/pound, the RS3 is more of a how much cash i have (or borrow)
For me the extra oomph isn't enough, only 5 doors and no manual. For commuting or just driving around DSG is great but when having a blat I couldn't do without a manual. Exhaust note is cool but come on not enough to justify changing, north of £40k gets some proper new or nearly new cars.

Where i live there will be a saloon RS3 but even that isn't enough to sway me.

Yes exctly if you can afford it by all means buy or rent a RS3 via a Audi pcp deal,this is my first Audi, its a S3 "Great Starting point" my car was more than the standard RS3 about a £1k or so,but what l have learned is a basic S3/RS3 are very basic indeed, you need to add quite a few toys just to make them liveable with/look better...What l am saying is the "S3 AINT A £32K CAR,ITS A £35-£41K+" car the same applies to the RS3...Its £45k-£50k car.

Just been reading up on the RS3, and found out it comes with the 'sweeping' rear indicators !

Just been reading up on the RS3, and found out it comes with the 'sweeping' rear indicators !

Excellent news Mike, so with that and the super duper exhaust it's a snip at 45 grand..................... not ;)

Reactions: batch and Jassyo06
Think I might order 2 at that price.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Excellent news Mike, so with that and the super duper exhaust it's a snip at 45 grand..................... not ;)
I fully agree with you mate, which is why I could only afford the diesel s line lol.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L

Look, it drifts...

Reactions: lucas-suisse, Jassyo06 and Benash20
Um, my S3 does that.

Nothing new.

The wider front tyres will help quell the horrific tendency to understeer though ;)

Um, my S3 does that.

Nothing new.

The wider front tyres will help quell the horrific tendency to understeer though ;)

Good to see that Audi are well on top of the continuing handling traits of the A3 line.....LOL

I'm sure it's better than the stock 8P,but by God,I worked hard on getting that dialled out of mine,and I think you'll be in for the same uphill battle.

Good luck!

Reactions: s3_trev and veeeight
It's an Audi :p

After all, what's an Audi without understeer, dubious suspension, and lifeless steering ;)

What gets me is the S3's steering, it takes a bit of turn to go round a medium bend,not so great at speed,l wondered why the they added that self parking thing?,when Ford didnt on the ST " but was available on every other Focus,maybe THEE Boffins at Audi should test drive some Fords and take note

Reactions: veeeight
Test driving the RS3 next weekend.

Now the sun is out I am driving my S3 more and more and to be honest enjoying it more too. It still annoys me now and again mainly due to the steering. I have a Focus 1.0 litre hire car at the moment on the drive and it handles and steers so well. Audi take note.....I want this from the RS3 for £50k!!

I'm just worried that I will be seduced by the RS3's noise and straight line speed. More importantly I will be most interested to see if the RS3 is worth a £10k premium over the already (stupidly) fast S3.

Reactions: Blackwhite and veeeight
It's an Audi :p

After all, what's an Audi without understeer, dubious suspension, and lifeless steering ;)

veeeight

Do you find the steering similar on the other Audi models?

I'll remember not to bring sarcasm to a car forum again

Reactions: batch
veeeight

No.

eg: The steering rack on the A3 1.4 (non variable ratio) is much better than the steering rack on the S3 (variable ratio).

More feel, and you can place the car accurately on the apex of corners much more intuitively.

Reactions: Pulp84 and Blackwhite
veeeight

Not to answer for veeeight but I have found its a mixed bag. RS6 and R8 have great steering - not sure if these are variable or not. I also like the steering on the A5.

I thought this article about how much nicer the Huracan Lambo is without the variable rack interesting. Wonder if the same would be true on the S3 http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lamborghini/huracan/first-drives/2015-lamborghini-huracán-review

Reactions: Blackwhite
If variable ratio steering was a de-selectable option on the S3, I would defo de-select it!

Like Pulp, I have also found it a mixed bag between models, the R8 is an absolute joy!

Test driving the RS3 next weekend.

Now the sun is out I am driving my S3 more and more and to be honest enjoying it more too. It still annoys me now and again mainly due to the steering. I have a Focus 1.0 litre hire car at the moment on the drive and it handles and steers so well. Audi take note.....I want this from the RS3 for £50k!!

I'm just worried that I will be seduced by the RS3's noise and straight line speed. More importantly I will be most interested to see if the RS3 is worth a £10k premium over the already (stupidly) fast S3.

I will be waiting for your review on the RS3! :redface new:

Any thoughts on the S4? (Steering).

Are you tempted by an S4 then BW?

I must admit I was for a while when I realised I could pick up one for pretty much the same price as an S3. Then again it soon became apparent that it was really only the engine that I liked. Personally I think the S3 is the nicer looking car, not to say the S4 isn't nice though. I don't think Audi have a current model I dislike to be honest although the 5 coupes are head and shoulders above the rest for me :)

The RS3 is just a waste of space in my opinion. It just isn't a big enough step up in any department to warrant the cost and even if money was no object I wouldn't bother. It needs much more aggressive styling and performance to warrant it's RS badge I reckon ;)

Any thoughts on the S4? (Steering).
The Dawg @Bristle Hound will probably be able to give a good comparison!
@Blackwhite @Pulp84 - I haven't had chance to have enough of a spirited drive in it yet to comment on the steering TBH

However, my last A4 ( http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...udi-a4-2-0-tfsi-quattro-s-line-saloon.225569/ ) had 'Servotronic power steering' which in all honesty I thought was *****. I had no feeling or feedback at all with it

This is Audi's 'official' BS on the servotronic PS -
'Servotronic speed-dependent power steering matches to the handling characteristics of the vehicle for a pleasant driving feel

When the vehicle is manoeuvred at low speeds – for instance when getting into or out of a parking space – power assistance is at its maximum. As a result, the vehicle can be steered very easily. As the vehicle reaches higher speeds, an electronic system gradually reduces the level of power assistance. This allows the driver to steer the vehicle more precisely than is possible with a conventional power steering.

When negotiating parking spaces, manoeuvring slowly and driving at low speed, the driver can easily steer the vehicle and does not need to exert great force.

At higher speeds, the steering responds directly and precisely, providing a sporty driving experience. The direct steering response at high speeds enables the driver to feel the immediate contact with the road surface.'

It amazes me that Audi, who always seeming to come under criticism for the 'dead steering' on their cars, have yet to sort the issues out

S3 is OK but I'm not convinced the RS3 is good enough for the money. I think the RS3 is even more flawed than the S3 for the category it fits in. Sorry if I upset any one.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and veeeight
As long as there is not RS3 sedan I will prefer the S3 over it.

I do however love the sportier styling and the aluminum front bits that are optional as well as that superb 5 cylinder engine.

The 7 speed DSG also seems more appealing than the 6 speed but I don't know how well the RS3 drives so can't compare.

I went to Manchester yesterday to view the RS that has to be the most disappointing visit I have had maybe the driving experience would be good but I'm not interested in doing that my order will stay S3 all the way.

theres a really nice white one in crewe audi but could never justify that much.... would rather get a gtr or a 911 turbo second hand

Yup.

Pay £45k for what is essentially an A3

(Audi Marketing is brilliant, gotta give them that)

:lmfao:

I went with an open mind if I had been jumping up and down with excitement I might have been talking figures and swopping my deposit I even had a 12 year old with me who's words were that's awful.

Some really interesting points in here and I pretty much agree with all of them. I dont think the RS3 is worth the money. Every time I compare these two cars I keep thinking back on the comparison between the R-32 and the S3. The only reason (IMO) you would ever go with the R-32 was the noise of the 6cl. Sounded amazing. Same with the Golf VR6 a few years before that. And same with the RS3 IMO. It has more power out of the stable but look at the power gains that can be had just remapping a S3 8V to stage 1! The amount of dosh that you could pour into an 8V, rather than wasting it on an upgrade to RS3, would leave your 8V a serious piece of equipment! In fact I would actually hold my own S3 8P in a higher regard than a new RS3 but I have invested heavily into my car to get it to that point, never mind the lengths Alex and a few 8P owners on here have went to. Can you imagine the extra money I would have to put down if I was trading it in for an RS3 hahaha, I think id need to be sitting down for that one LOL.

But one of the biggest reasons I wouldnt even consider the RS3 is Audi's ignorance. If you dont like sportback and you dont like auto then tough luck son. Really hate that. I really hope they loose sales when this bad boy becomes available...

Td.jpg

Now THAT right there is a proper hot hatch!! Even if it hasnt got the 4 rings, that styling and those 3 sexy doors, none of this family wagon milarky!

Reactions: buz and veeeight