S3 Order - But First.... Questions!

I see what you are saying about someone in your house, but a thief wants to be in & out and away as quietly as possible! If he gets in & out and then starts your car he has now brought attention to himself, as you and other people hear the sound of your car in the middle of the night, now he can't get it into gear so he's like wtf panics and hopefully gets on his toes, as you are now looking out of the window at him on the phone to the police. It would take a brave thief to come back inside once he's woken a few people up and lights start going on around him.

Or if your keys are taken from the pub, gym, work etc. at least you car is there when you go back to it.

It gives me peace of mind that someone can't start my car, so I intentionally opted out of the keyless start/stop system along with installing a system that protects the car (you need a special beacon to be close to the car to start the ignition).

I've got advanced key, also had a similar system in my Focus ST previously. It's really handy. I get the whole car theft thing on the increase (even a new article on BBC news today) but I've never had a problem with anyone trying to steal the car or tamper with it. Might be the area I live it, I guess it's worse in crime hot spots like Birmingham etc.

SSS should be standard imo.

Reactions: Ron240 and firecracker69
Matrix Lights. These are really dependant on where you drive. I live in a place with a lot of long dark roads and heaps of kangaroos. The Matrix Lights produce absolutely insane illumination and precision. You really have to see them to believe how good they are. For me I'd never choose to have an Audi without them.
If you're mainly doing city driving then they lose their value.

Thanks for this. If it was not for a job change then my journey would be mainly back roads, and in this weather dark both mornings and night. However, new job soon means motorway only (I know, why bother getting an S3), so I dont think I'll benefit - plus the cost does seem a bit extreme if LED are good alone.

I would not be without Advanced Key, but there as been loads of posts re the security of this system. At the end of the day if someone wants your car they will take it either by cloning a key or breaking into your house and taking the key.

I have the Ghost system, I can be in the car and away as quick as if I didn't have it!
Someone asked the same last year about how long it takes to enter the code etc. so I made this vid to show them, without the code entered the stick would stay in P, as you can hear on the vid I'm in D even before the Ghost system has indicated that the code has been accepted! (two flashes/clicks of the indicators).

Even with the keys the best a thief can do is start the car! Once he's tried to put it into D a few times a gearbox error is thrown up on the dash. This is cleared once the code is entered and you drive off.

My 2 cents on keyless OP. I had it on my previous car and considered it a must when looking at S3’s but after speaking with this forum I personally decided i didn’t like the associated risks.
Regardless, going from keyless to using a key again was a lot easier than I expected and now don’t even give using a key again a second thought. Did take a month or so to automatically use the key as intended instead of putting it in the center console though!

Appreciate comments and video - thanks. I had to think about this a while, but ultimately I thought if someone wants to take the car then let them have it, I dont want them trying to get back into the house for example as they cant get it to start, almost better to let them take it. Worst case scenario of course!
I just like the convenience of push start button if I'm honest, leaving key in my pocket. Appreciate its a personal preference. I think I will spec this but I admit I'm still on the fence about it.

Another thumbs up for the pan roof, ACC and folding mirrors, regarding the mirrors.. as others have said for me they only serve a purpose of letting me know I've locked the car, oh and they look better :happy:).
Comfort and sound pack is good also.

Pan Roof is now added, I dont really use a sunroof but I think I will have it for looks more than anything. Folding mirrors is a must for me anyway, personally that should be standard on this price car but hey; its Audi!
ACC would be nice, one to consider.... new job means I'll be travelling alot but mainly by train, taxi etc - this is a play car for weekend really with the choice of the odd long journey if I want to. One reason for getting an S3 now, can keep the mileage down if I want to, or drive as much as I like. Defo consider the ACC tho!

Comfort and Sound Pack will give you front parking sensors for free without the park assist and you then get Bang & Olufson

Comfort and Sound pack doesnt exist on this, no option for the S3.
The S3 comes with rear parking sensors as standard, the Black Edition comes with Bang & Olufsen as standard, but to add front sensors the only choice is the paid individual upgrade hence me going for Park Assist.

Appreciate all the comments, really helping me think about what I want, need, or what you have experienced - so any opinion here has been great!

My build so far consists of:

• S3 Black Edition
  • Ara blue
  • 19” 8.0j ‘5-arm-wing alloys
  • LED Headlights (Not Matrix as too much £ I think for my use)
  • Super Sport Seats
  • Tech Pack - VC
  • Panoramic Roof
  • Wing Mirror Fold and Auto Dimm
  • Park Assist (as rear + front sensors alone were £300)
This now only leaves me to think more about the Advanced Key for £400. I'm tempted to add it, and probably will, but will think on it a bit more.

That puts the build at £45,015
A company called Drive The Deal state I can buy for £38,601 (saving of £6,413)
Anyone ever used them?

Local dealer offered me £5,300 discount, but want to push them a bit more and using Drive The Deal as leverage. Not sure they will match it though.

So what would my 9 month old well spec S3 be worth?

You only need to look at Autotrader or Audi Approved - hence me deciding on new. I found one previously, 2018 with 6k miles, only some kit on it and they wanted the same as what I could buy brand new for!

You only need to look at Autotrader or Audi Approved - hence me deciding on new. I found one previously, 2018 with 6k miles, only some kit on it and they wanted the same as what I could buy brand new for!
There is a shortage of S3 at the moment with WLTP.. Not desperate to sell but as partner moving in (will probably sell her car or S3) and get a cab for the summer. Not desperate but would consider a sale at £35k ish.

Appreciate all the comments, really helping me think about what I want, need, or what you have experienced - so any opinion here has been great!

• S3 Black Edition
  • Ara blue
  • Super Sport Seats
  • Tech Pack - VC
  • Panoramic Roof
This now only leaves me to think more about the Advanced Key for £400. I'm tempted to add it, and probably will, but will think on it a bit more.

Anyone ever used them?

Local dealer offered me £5,300 discount, but want to push them a bit more and using Drive The Deal as leverage. Not sure they will match it though.

Outgoing model, new shape A3 incoming. You need to be getting at least 15% off an S3, so you’re in the right ballpark. Get as many quotes as you can from any internet brokers and (as you say) use them to get local dealers to match the price. If the local dealer wont play ball, move to the next nearest dealer (preferably in a different dealer group – ie not two Sytner dealerships)

Just my 2p, but no way would I have Advanced Key.

My S3 ... BE, Tech pack, comfort FR, VC, Pan Roof B@O, foldy mirrors..

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
Reactions: firecracker69 and loftylad
There is a shortage of S3 at the moment with WLTP.. Not desperate to sell but as partner moving in (will probably sell her car or S3) and get a cab for the summer. Not desperate but would consider a sale at £35k ish.

Thank you, pretty similar spec. I need the PCP to be honest, and not knocking what you have but when spending this much I want my exact choices and happy to spend the bit extra on a nice 19 plate - thats just me!
Assuming Saloon - I probably havent mentioned anywhere I'm only looking saloon? Again, just personal preference.

Outgoing model, new shape A3 incoming. You need to be getting at least 15% off an S3, so you’re in the right ballpark. Get as many quotes as you can from any internet brokers and (as you say) use them to get local dealers to match the price. If the local dealer wont play ball, move to the next nearest dealer (preferably in a different dealer group – ie not two Sytner dealerships)

Just my 2p, but no way would I have Advanced Key.

I did put the S3 on hold for this very reason, but then how long do you wait!? The new S3 isnt likely to hit for approx 2yrs, by then I'll be trading in and hopefully able to afford the RS3 by then :icon thumright: but we'll see......

Carwow is coming in at 9% if lucky.
Drive the Deal works out to be 14%.
Local dealer is 12% which is what they told me is cost price.....

will keep that in mind, like you say I'll go back to my dealer one last time to price match and if not then I'll move along to the next - thank you!

Reactions: loftylad
My S3 ... BE, Tech pack, comfort FR, VC, Pan Roof B@O, foldy mirrors..

Mate - that is lush! I like the colour, Mrs wants Ara but funnily enough we did compare the two over the weekend!
I think the Navarra Blue looks classy, my Mrs wants Ara as she feels it stands out a bit more.... I'm happy with either personally.

Cracking car anyway! Unfortunately not a saloon.... again personal pref.

I did put the S3 on hold for this very reason, but then how long do you wait!? The new S3 isnt likely to hit for approx 2yrs, by then I'll be trading in and hopefully able to afford the RS3 by then :icon thumright: but we'll see......

will keep that in mind, like you say I'll go back to my dealer one last time to price match and if not then I'll move along to the next - thank you!
Pretty sure there's been a few posts about S3s with people comfortably getting 15%+ discounts. End of the day, as stated here. If they aren't giving the deal you want, move on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: loftylad
Mate - that is lush! I like the colour, Mrs wants Ara but funnily enough we did compare the two over the weekend!
I think the Navarra Blue looks classy, my Mrs wants Ara as she feels it stands out a bit more.... I'm happy with either personally.

Cracking car anyway! Unfortunately not a saloon.... again personal pref.
The saloon looks good but far less practical. As for PCP. Did you know there are other options. Halifax do a PCP for less than Audi and M&S and JL personal loans are less than 3%.. Just work out a residual value and do the sums. You could of course take out Audi PCP, get the Audi contribution, withdraw legally within 2 weeks and pay off with another loan.. win win.. Think Audi will probably ban me for telling you but its legal.

I think you're doing exactly the right thing! I'm doing the same. The New S3 will be ages away and there will be no discount whatsoever on it.
The current one (whilst now ageing) still looks good and I would like to think that all the issues and niggles are known(if not always resolved.lol)
There's no way I'd want to be a "beta tester" of a brand new model.
And, like you rightly say, its a shed load of cash, and you want it to be EXACTLY what you want - not "almost" the spec you want.
Add that to the fact that this WLTP nonesense has firmed up the used prices....a new one is a no brainer!:icon thumright:

Reactions: firecracker69
The saloon looks good but far less practical. As for PCP. Did you know there are other options. Halifax do a PCP for less than Audi and M&S and JL personal loans are less than 3%.. Just work out a residual value and do the sums. You could of course take out Audi PCP, get the Audi contribution, withdraw legally within 2 weeks and pay off with another loan.. win win.. Think Audi will probably ban me for telling you but its legal.

Saloon less practical in what way? Just curious.
I had heard of PCP through banks, someone bought my A4 on one of those. I looked up Halifax and personal bank loans, but the monthly repayments are a lot higher, not sure why? Audi is around £300 per month, but personal is around £400-500 quite easily!

Saloon less practical in what way? Just curious.
I had heard of PCP through banks, someone bought my A4 on one of those. I looked up Halifax and personal bank loans, but the monthly repayments are a lot higher, not sure why? Audi is around £300 per month, but personal is around £400-500 quite easily!
I'd assume based on the opening of the saloon Vs sportback, saloon is quite narrow (boot is longer but shallower) and sportback is the opposite.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I'd assume based on the opening of the saloon Vs sportback, saloon is quite narrow (boot is longer but shallower) and sportback is the opposite.

Ah ok thanks - makes sense now I read it back. This is just for me in the main and the Mrs to run around in if she can be bothered - other than that she has the workhorse vehicle for practicality :happy:

Ordered mine via DriveTheDeal, they are brokers and will put you in touch with their dealer once order confirmed.

In meantime simply give quote details to local dealer and ask they match it, if they cant then go via DTD.

Regarding advanced key, you mention push button start - I was told all have push button start regardless of advanced key and that option just adds the automatic unlocking on approach?

Ordered mine via DriveTheDeal, they are brokers and will put you in touch with their dealer once order confirmed.

In meantime simply give quote details to local dealer and ask they match it, if they cant then go via DTD.

Regarding advanced key, you mention push button start - I was told all have push button start regardless of advanced key and that option just adds the automatic unlocking on approach?
No advanced key on an S3 means an "old fashioned" key which goes in to the steering wheel column. Advanced key gives push to start, wireless unlock etc.

Reactions: listers_socks and firecracker69
Yes it is true that the Saloon is less practical than the Sportback in regards to the loading area.....I still find it mildly awkward putting shopping bags in the boot.
Having said that the Saloon is just sooooooo much nicer looking. :sunglasses:
IMHO of course. :innocent:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_R, Adam14 and firecracker69

So does that mean you can end up anywhere in the Country to collect the vehicle once ready? As assuming its the winning dealer bid that secures your business?

Oh dear - this the point you say you wanted Advanced Key/push button and now realise its not included? I believe European models and/or USA have this feature as standard, typical UK that pay extra for everything!

• S3 Black Edition
  • Ara blue
  • Super Sport Seats
  • Tech Pack - VC
  • Panoramic Roof

Anyone ever used them?

If you haven't checked already, you should configure that spec on Carwow and see what offers they can grab for you. They're normally pretty good. £6.5k figure seems like it will be on the better end of what you can get off in terms of deals, so I wouldn't expect much more out of it.

Should note though (if you didn't already know), you'll have to pay an extra £310/yr tax since the car is listed at over £40k

Also note the first year rate will be significantly higher as well, which can be checked online. But as stated above will be £450 per year for the next 5 years

If you haven't checked already, you should configure that spec on Carwow and see what offers they can grab for you. They're normally pretty good. £6.5k figure seems like it will be on the better end of what you can get off in terms of deals, so I wouldn't expect much more out of it.
Should note though (if you didn't already know), you'll have to pay an extra £310/yr tax since the car is listed at over £40k

Yep, spent soooo much time on carwow, the best I had before Xmas was 11%, now its more like 9% tops which makes DTD the most likely avenue.
I wasnt sure on Tax, but its included in the overall build/cost but I expected it to be relatively high since all the changes..... another pointless tax!

Also note the first year rate will be significantly higher as well, which can be checked online. But as stated above will be £450 per year for the next 5 years

And there you have it, £450 per year - great! :wtf:
Shouldnt moan too much I suppose, you dont buy this sort of car and expect £30 road tax, then again didnt expect it that high either but it is what it is. Either way, the price shown on the build are all 'on the road price'

Reactions: Kondax

Bought my s3 via drive the deal.Delivered to my door,list price £38945,on me drive, £31220.Easy choice!

So does that mean you can end up anywhere in the Country to collect the vehicle once ready? As assuming its the winning dealer bid that secures your business?

Oh dear - this the point you say you wanted Advanced Key/push button and now realise its not included? I believe European models and/or USA have this feature as standard, typical UK that pay extra for everything!

They can deliver or you collect, not always same dealer so depends on offer as to where it is. I chose to collect mine to enjoy the drive back.

No I would still choose it without advanced key to be honest, push button I do like but not enough to get keyless. My BMW has my preferred option of no keyless but start button, guess I need to practice putting key in and turning again!

That's 20% discount. :openmouth:
You gotta wonder how that is even possible!

When I tried to match DTD to CarWow or local dealer some on CarWow said not possible and local dealer said that is beyond their profit so must be making a loss. I assume though given the build issues that Audi are providing incentives to get some out of the door.

Ah ok thanks - makes sense now I read it back. This is just for me in the main and the Mrs to run around in if she can be bothered - other than that she has the workhorse vehicle for practicality :happy:

Just so. Bags more room in a hatch with 2 passengers. I am pretty sure the Sportback holds value better due to future demand. I don’t dislike saloon but the cons outweigh the pros for me.

Surely the Saloon will always command higher money than an otherwise equivalent Sportback on the used market?
It costs 2 grand more when new.
I have always preferred hatchback cars, but in the case of the A3 I just think the Saloon looks classier.

When I tried to match DTD to CarWow or local dealer some on CarWow said not possible and local dealer said that is beyond their profit so must be making a loss. I assume though given the build issues that Audi are providing incentives to get some out of the door.

I was told by my local dealer that 12% is cost price, anything after is them making a loss - of course it depends if they have a target that month/qtr they want to hit as to whether they sell at a 'so called' loss or not.
Today I want to ring around and see if anyone will price match DTD.

On a side note, after the comments and weighing up pros and cons I now have decided (90% sure) to remove the Advanced Key. For the sake of sticking a key in the ignition I'll save £400, but all this cloning talk has started to put me off.

Surely the Saloon will always command higher money than an otherwise equivalent Sportback on the used market?
I have always preferred hatchback cars, but in the case of the A3 I just think the Saloon looks classier.

Agreed, but thats just my personal preference as well.
I must admit, RGBARGEE pics of his looks stunning!

I asked a couple of guys at Audi on my first visit, random Audi people on the premises - all said the same, Saloon every time BUT they did say its nothing against the hatchback, its just the Saloon is more 'rare' and looks that little bit more special.
The cons for me is it carries a higher price tag!

Agreed, auto trader prices also seem to confirm this (comparing like for like spec wise).