S3 Pano-Roof Area Detailing

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Could someone please give me some detailing advice for detailing the highly glossed black area that borders the pano-roof glass opening. I assume that it could be highly prone to swirl with the wrong polish. What do you guys recommend just a wax/polish with very low abrasives or ?
Thanks, Dougie

@Flying Scotsman - Those gloss black plastic panels are a real PITA to keep swirl free
I've used Auto Finesse Tripple in the past on older cars to keep the gloss black panels looking good, but its a losing battle

@jassyo06 is also a penny roof fan so he may be along with his advice

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
@Flying Scotsman - Those gloss black plastic panels are a real PITA to keep swirl free
I've used Auto Finesse Tripple in the past on older cars to keep the gloss black panels looking good, but its a losing battle

@jassyo06 is also a penny roof fan so he may be along with his advice
Could someone please give me some detailing advice for detailing the highly glossed black area that borders the pano-roof glass opening. I assume that it could be highly prone to swirl with the wrong polish. What do you guys recommend just a wax/polish with very low abrasives or ?
Thanks, Dougie
Hi mate are you talking about the two panels one either side of the moving part of the pano-roof, well if you are they are glass the same as the motorised part of the roof and not plastic, gtechniq Glass polish or any glass polish will do in conjunction with a stand alone aquaphobic solution. Ps these panels don't mark anymore easier than the moving glass part so no worries highly resilient

Jim from White Details has some good tips for dealing with gloss black areas, like the B-Pillars:

@ 13:34

And I am 99% sure in one of his vlogs he shows you the blue pad (one of the DODO ones I think...) and polish he pairs with it to get good finish, but I've trawled through them all and can't find it...!

I tried :(

But if it were me, I would just go by the usual rule and use the softest pad and least aggressive polish and see what results you get. Remember to use IPA wipe down to fully check your results and step up if you need to.

@jassyo06 yup mate, that is the area, the two side panels, plus the forward panel leading to the windshield. I presume with your answer that it is also glass. The reason I was a wee bit concerned as I thought it was the same material as the black panels on the B pillar between the doors as they can mar very easily.
If that forward area is glass, is it prone to stone chips or worse cracking?
Thanks to all

@jassyo06 yup mate, that is the area, the two side panels, plus the forward panel leading to the windshield. I presume with your answer that it is also glass. The reason I was a wee bit concerned as I thought it was the same material as the black panels on the B pillar between the doors as they can mar very easily.
If that forward area is glass, is it prone to stone chips or worse cracking?
Thanks to all
Had my car 2 years mate and l have only got a couple of tiny tiny stonechips on the area directly above the windscreen can't say the same about my windscreen though lol