S3 piano door under climate control unit.

Greig300

Reaction score
On my facelift Audi S3 the piano Finished door under the climate control unit has broken and will not close it sits above the cigarette lighter. Question is how do I remove this unit? Can I just replace the front of the unit or does the whole thing need to be replaced? Thanks

Theres two slots at the top that you have to leaver down and pull on the unit for it to come out i only know as removed mine last week after tuffty told me how to do so :)

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the front part the piano door only can be switched? And keep the rest of the unit as mine has broken and won't close...

Afraid dont really know as only removed mine to wire something in didn't really pay much attention to the unit itself, it quite easy to remove once youv'e found the slots at the top on the inside of the cubby hole

had the same with mine, i removed the unit, the mechanism was worn where the pin runs through the guide (will become clearer when looking at it)
the pin sits on a little ridge to hold it down, the ridge had worn on mine.
i was able to pull the pin out of the door hatch a little so it would sit on a unworn part of the ridge.

it was a 95% cure, as on hot days it still opens up on its one when parked up tho

Sorry for the HiJack but why is it my facelift S3 does not have this ? I have piano black trim on other areas but this door thing is not on my car and doesnt look to have ever been there, I just have a normal ashtray ? Was this an optional extra ?

Sorry for the HiJack but why is it my facelift S3 does not have this ? I have piano black trim on other areas but this door thing is not on my car and doesnt look to have ever been there, I just have a normal ashtray ? Was this an optional extra ?

If you have a double din HU then I don't think you'll have one.