S3 pre with facelift headlights - Inoperative levellers and washers - cheapest fix for MOT?

S3-Steve

Reaction score
Trying to get my s3 serviceable again and through it's mot. I fitted the facelift headlights about 4 years ago and not even sure if the levelling ever worked. Had fairly relaxed garage to mot the car so was never really an issue until now.

What would be the cheapest way to get it through an mot? Is it possible to adjust the beam to the correct height manually? As for the washers - only one ever worked when I bought the car and i'm not too sure what to check here.

I've got a few other things wrong with it and really split between fixing it up and keeping it or letting it go - I love this car though haha.
Cheers

You can adjust headlights manually via an alley key on the headlight unit. There is two adjustment screws on each headlight, easily accessible.

My auto leveling has never worked and my s3 has been through three mot's. Failing it for auto leveling is a bit harsh!

Have you scanned it for fault codes? You can get new motors for the level adjust from buy car parts for less that's where I got mine do you still have both level sensors in the passenger side wheel arches?

As for the washers the lights need to be on and work every 5times (I think) that you use the screen wash check the hoses are connected under the bumper but most likely be the motor

Have you scanned it for fault codes? You can get new motors for the level adjust from buy car parts for less that's where I got mine do you still have both level sensors in the passenger side wheel arches?

As for the washers the lights need to be on and work every 5times (I think) that you use the screen wash check the hoses are connected under the bumper but most likely be the motor
Headlight washers only work when Xenons are active and wiper/washer stalk is pulled for more than 3 seconds...

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

I knew it was something along them lines

Reactions: mark_S3
You can adjust headlights manually via an alley key on the headlight unit. There is two adjustment screws on each headlight, easily accessible.

My auto leveling has never worked and my s3 has been through three mot's. Failing it for auto leveling is a bit harsh!

Brilliant, cheers - i'll try that first then. Yeh - does seem harsh, never been an issue before but knew the guy doing the mot so wasn't as picky about daft things.

I haven't had it scanned no. If i remember correctly i'm sure there was a white plastic part that was broken on one of the lights. But at the time of fitting the facelift lights i wasn't to worried about that - and mot regulations were different then i think. I'll have a mess about with it tomorrow and see. I have a set of motors in a drawer but I can't remember whether they were from the facelift lights i bought or the ones already fitted.

ah yeh, just noticed one of the hoses isn't connected at all.

I think the white plastic is for the manual adjustment

I think you're right - i remember it's like a ball at the end (of the motor part) that connects but one of them wouldn't fit in or something. Just something i never really considered at the time. I'll probably need to take them off and have a look again.

The ball at the end of the motor is a really tight fit I thought mine was going to break when I fitted mine

the clip that the ball fits into is a common fail item, get replacements on ebay as audi won't sell them.